DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #11,881 of 16,305

I think I did quite good this time. I made two 1.2m cables - one for my Noontec Zoros and the other for my Monoprice headphones to replace the crappy cables that came with them. The cables seem to be very durable. I don't know much about the improvement in SQ cause I'm not a big believer of cables affecting it in any way (at least not in those lengths). I also doubt the ability of the human ear to tell the difference. Anyway, about the cable construction itself: 3 braid of 26awg SPC wire from navships, techflex sleeving, shrink and the highest quality plugs I could get at the local electronic supply store (I don't know what brand they are).

May 5, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #11,882 of 16,305
My setup currently uses super cheap RCA interconnects and instead of forking out for some ready made cables, I thought I'd have a go at making some for myself. I've had a fair amount of experience in soldering but I haven't ever made cables before. Could someone take me through all the materials/parts that I would need as if I went out and bought the parts now I'd almost certainly miss something out.

What gauge cable would I need bearing in mind being flexible is not an issue and which material is best?
Are some connectors better than others?
Do I need to buy cable strains or anything like that?
What sleeving should I use?

May 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #11,883 of 16,305
My setup currently uses super cheap RCA interconnects and instead of forking out for some ready made cables, I thought I'd have a go at making some for myself. I've had a fair amount of experience in soldering but I haven't ever made cables before. Could someone take me through all the materials/parts that I would need as if I went out and bought the parts now I'd almost certainly miss something out.

What gauge cable would I need bearing in mind being flexible is not an issue and which material is best?
Are some connectors better than others?
Do I need to buy cable strains or anything like that?
What sleeving should I use?

Get some 22 AWG wire, I use 26, but 22 will definately be sturdier. You can find some on eBay, search 22 AWG Stranded Silver Plated, you will find some, or you can search for eBay seller Navships, he makes great wire. I just made some RCA cables with connectors from Redco, I used Canare RCA connectors. Some connectors are better than other because the contact is gold plated or silver plated or nickel plated. However, passed that, it's all aesthetics. Search Nylon Multifilament Cable Organizer on google, you will find Black Nylon Multifilament, that's the sleeving most people use, I would get 1/6" if they have it. I use 1/8" personally.

May 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #11,884 of 16,305
Quote:
Get some 22 AWG wire, I use 26, but 22 will definately be sturdier. You can find some on eBay, search 22 AWG Stranded Silver Plated, you will find some, or you can search for eBay seller Navships, he makes great wire. I just made some RCA cables with connectors from Redco, I used Canare RCA connectors. Some connectors are better than other because the contact is gold plated or silver plated or nickel plated. However, passed that, it's all aesthetics. Search Nylon Multifilament Cable Organizer on google, you will find Black Nylon Multifilament, that's the sleeving most people use, I would get 1/6" if they have it. I use 1/8" personally.

Thanks for that, I probably won't be doing it for a while now as I told my dad that I was thinking of making some and he brought out a bag of RCA connectors and a load of 24AWG cable. I just put together a couple of leads, they're about a foot long and fit much better into the setup than the old cable did. Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

May 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #11,885 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks for that, I probably won't be doing it for a while now as I told my dad that I was thinking of making some and he brought out a bag of RCA connectors and a load of 24AWG cable. I just put together a couple of leads, they're about a foot long and fit much better into the setup than the old cable did. Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

Nice! My dad would probably show me to my bike and say go buy your connectors lol, happy soldering :D

May 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #11,886 of 16,305
Just thought I'd post another pic of my 8 wire hybrid, it's settled down a bit from the initial braiding..

May 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #11,887 of 16,305
Had to share what I just got in the mail.  Cables made with them are coming within the next week or so.  (click for larger images)

(Bad Pic, sorry; need to get out my photo lighting)

Wenge 6.3mm + 3.5mm TRS

Katalox 3.5mm TRS, 2x 3.5mm TS (mono), 1x Y-Split

Cocobolo 3.5mm TRS + Y-Split

May 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #11,888 of 16,305
Very nice, I just love wooden shells.
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #11,890 of 16,305
Quote:
Had to share what I just got in the mail.  Cables made with them are coming within the next week or so.  (click for larger images)

Wow, that's alot of wood!  Glad that Clint is getting business from this thread, he is an incredibly nice guy who is very good at what he does.

May 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #11,891 of 16,305
Anyone know if you can do an order from him for just Y-splits?

May 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #11,892 of 16,305
Quote:
Wow, that's alot of wood!  Glad that Clint is getting business from this thread, he is an incredibly nice guy who is very good at what he does.

He certainly is.  He was incredibly helpful throughout the whole process.  I picked the wood blanks and sent them to him and he did the work, super quick turn around.

Quote:
Anyone know if you can do an order from him for just Y-splits?

Should be able to.  Doesn't hurt to ask him on his website.

May 10, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #11,894 of 16,305
Quote:

(Bad Pic, sorry; need to get out my photo lighting)

Wenge 6.3mm + 3.5mm TRS

Katalox 3.5mm TRS, 2x 3.5mm TS (mono), 1x Y-Split

Cocobolo 3.5mm TRS + Y-Split

Nice! You can buy them somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back