DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,866 of 16,305
Quote:
I've searched here and can't seem to find a solution, so I am just going to ask for recomendations from those in the know!

The stock cable on my Ultrasones was the most annoying cable I have ever seen on a headphone. The bends where they fold it back and forth on itself for packaging will not come out, no how no way.

It's annoying like those cheap Yellow / Orange AC extension cords, the ones that are really nice when you first get them but after a couple of weeks use they get all twisted up under the jacket and are impossible to use or unwind. You just need to take a hatchet and chop them up into tiny little pieces to vent your frustration, which I have done in the past. 
angry_face.gif

I have since removed the cable from my Ultrasones and have replaced it with a 3.5mm socket which works great with any mini to mini cable.
I would like to convert my DT880's to a mini xlr with the socket in the cup itself, all of that part is no problem, I am now in search of a good wire to use.

Since I live in Eastern Canada local wire shops are few and far between, the only one I know of here is Anixter which carries a Belden Star Quad, but I have not been there to look at this wire or any other type they might have. (Is anyone familiar with the Belden wire?) 

Since there are so many choices of wire and insulation type, I'll get right to the point of what I am looking for.

Flexibility is my main criteria, I would like this cable to act like a piece of cotton cord or heavy string. I know it can not have the exact same physics as cotton cord does but I'd like to get as close to that as possible. (falls straight with very little memory)

1. What AWG and strand count would you suggest is the most flexible?
2. Does silver plated copper or just regular copper make any difference? (Only to do with flexibility, nothing about the sound.)
3. What type of insulation is the most flexible?

My old Sony headphones had this nylon type sheathing over a rubber core that had flat enameled wire that was woven with fibers, you know the copper / red /green stuff all twisted together.
I don't know what that wire is called, but is that wire available and would it be a better choice even though it would have to be sheathed?

In the end I would like to have a 4 wire loose braid to the mini XLR jack, so if I can find a wire with a black or clear insulation that would be perfect and I would not have to sheath them.

4. Does the sheathing type aid or hinder with flexibility? If so what is the most flexible type of sheath to use?

Sorry for the winded post with too many questions, but I have searched and can't seem to find a solution. If I am "Out to Lunch" with my expectations then please let me know. 
redface.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and for any recomendations you all might have.
beerchug.gif

1.  I would stick to 26 or 24 awg, as many strands as you can get.  In general, the more strands, the more flexible.
2.  Silver plated copper is nor really any less flexible than regular copper, with the caveat that most cheaper silver plated copper wire is sheathed in teflon or pvc, both of which you want to avoid if you really want flexibility.
3.  Silicone or a specially designed polyethylene will be the most flexible.  Problem is that the better silicone wire is specialty wire for stuff like robotics and is more expensive per foot than some audiophile stuff.  Toxic Cables had a batch of OCC copper in polyethylene that was so flexible, I mistook it for silicone wire.  PM him to see if he has any for sale.  You won't find something more flexible or limp on the market.  The caveat with this, is that it is harder to work with because of its flexibility, and there is some grab to the polyethylene that makes sleeving with something soft nearly impossible.  In use, without sleeving, it was too flexible for me so I ended up putting a 1/8" sleeve of techflex around it and then putting nylon multifilament on top of that.  Still super light, very flexible when you need to bend it, but lays very neatly now in a large coil.  But if a specialty wire isn't possible, stick to polyethylene.  Mogami and Canare both use polyethylene, but it is a harder variety and despite some decent stranding and gauge numbers, they aren't as flexible as they could be (durability was top priority for these companies).  Doublehelixcables, Toxic Cables, and Plussounds come immediately to mind for high quality, reasonable cost wire that is nice and flexible (and audiophile approved).
4. Nylon multifilament or paracord is the way to go for soft, flexible sleeving.  Not many other options unless you can find cotton or silk, which is very hard to do.  Any of the Techflex type stuff is going to add stiffness.  

Hope that helps!  Have fun with it.

May 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #11,867 of 16,305
Thanks FraGGleR!

Yes I have an IC that was teflon wrapped silver plated copper and it was stiff as all get out. 

There is a ton of great information you have provided there, I will see if Toxic Cables has any of that cable for sale, shipping from the UK might be a bit steep, but we'll see.

Yes it is all about the lay, for me anyway... I received an excellent suggestion about using Litz wire, so I think I am going to chase some of that down as it sounds like it will do exactly what I want.

Paracord looks like the way to go as well.

I am going to look into the Mogami and Canare as well for some other cables I want to make.

Thanks again, it will be fun for sure!
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #11,868 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm actually going to be doing something similar to my DT770s here in the next few weeks (I hope, depends on when I get the plugs in).

I'm going to be using Canare star quad, stripped down to the 4 inner cores (which I think are 23 AWG, probably not the best wire to use) and sleeved with Type 1 paracord.

If I decide that the Canare is too big, I'll buy some Mogami W2893 (26 AWG cores).

I would stay around 26 AWG for the wires.  That seems to be the most commonly recommended AWG.

Sounds great, don't forget the pictures!

May 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #11,870 of 16,305
Quote:
I will see if Toxic Cables has any of that cable for sale, shipping from the UK might be a bit steep, but we'll see.

My current shipping cost for wires/plugs is £8-8.50 i believe, this is Royal Mail tracked post, when you consider the cost of packaging and postage, my cost is actually more then what i charge.

You can buy as many items as you like and request the total, depending on weight, i might add another £0.50-1, usually it will just be the flat £8.  You can opt for standard shipping for £4, but i take no responsibility for lost packages with this service.

I do have a few spools of the wire FraGGleR speaks of, it sounds quite good and is actually the cheapest wire i sell, at £0.95 per feet. I don't have it listed, so you would need to PM me for purchases. It is by far the most flexible 24AWG OCC Copper wire i have come across.

May 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #11,871 of 16,305
BTG-Audio also sells some vert reasonably priced cable in polyethylene insulation. I like it.

May 4, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #11,873 of 16,305
Not audio related but I think I'll be making a micro-USB to USB A cable for the 60% keyboard (Either a KeyCool or a Filco Manila) any good sources for fancy, different, exotic, or another word that I can't think of types of connectors?

Thanks guys!

May 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #11,874 of 16,305
Not audio related but I think I'll be making a micro-USB to USB A cable for the 60% keyboard (Either a KeyCool or a Filco Manila) any good sources for fancy, different, exotic, or another word that I can't think of types of connectors?

Thanks guys!

I wish you the best of luck. I tried to find some wooden USB and XLR plugs, but, eh would sell directly, and I didn't plan on buying a $400 cable just to take the plug. If u find some do share!

May 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #11,875 of 16,305
EDIT: Double post (damn ipad)

But, I made some RCA cables this week, since my PYST cables aren't long enough to go from Gamma2 > back of WA6, so, I had to build some.

Mats and Details
- Silver Plated OFC 26AWG wire from here
- Canare RCA plugs from here
- 1/8" Black Nylon Multifilament from here
- 14" each (12" + 1" for plug on each end)

Sounds very good too, better than the PYST cables IMHO

May 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #11,876 of 16,305
Quote:
My current shipping cost for wires/plugs is £8-8.50 i believe, this is Royal Mail tracked post, when you consider the cost of packaging and postage, my cost is actually more then what i charge.

You can buy as many items as you like and request the total, depending on weight, i might add another £0.50-1, usually it will just be the flat £8.  You can opt for standard shipping for £4, but i take no responsibility for lost packages with this service.

I do have a few spools of the wire FraGGleR speaks of, it sounds quite good and is actually the cheapest wire i sell, at £0.95 per feet. I don't have it listed, so you would need to PM me for purchases. It is by far the most flexible 24AWG OCC Copper wire i have come across.

Sounds good, I'll PM you with my list.

Quote:
BTG-Audio also sells some vert reasonably priced cable in polyethylene insulation. I like it.

I'll check into that as well.

Thanks All!

May 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #11,877 of 16,305
Hello everyone,
Sorry for being such a noob 
confused.gif
 but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for connectors and cable for a pair of rca interconnects (1ft) and 2 pairs of speaker cables (3ft each).  I am on a budget so if at all possible I would like to keep each pair around $25 if at all possible.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #11,878 of 16,305
I've wanted to use these rca connectors for something for a while:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=263-212

I bet you can find good speaker connectors there too. Good selection and fast shipping.

May 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #11,880 of 16,305
This isn't the best looking cable out there, but I got my wire today and made it.  8 Wire Hybrid Toxic Cables Scorpion and Viper Wire.  It sounds fantastic, and I'm running some hours on it, going to do about 100.

Material
Toxic Cables Scorpion OCC Copper 26AWG Wire in Black 18 feet
Toxic Cables Viper Wire OCC SPC 26 AWG wire 18 feet
DHC 1/8" plug
UE DIY Westone Style Connector 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back