DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #11,491 of 16,305
clothes hangers... paper clips have too much resistance. Not much in the way of durability or flexibility either. :/

But yes, check out sound science for as much serious discussion as you can handle about metal choice, treatment, configuration and audibility. 

I'm a metallurgist... and I don't step foot in that place... 
size]

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #11,492 of 16,305
Quote:

I'm a metallurgist... and I don't step foot in that place... 
size]

Hah! You should - especially if you do much to cover the behavior of electricity in materials, not just the other more physical properties). But they also need more electrical engineers, and audio engineers. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #11,493 of 16,305
My specialty and research are more on the physical and microstructural side of things, so I'm sure I'd get dismissed by them 
size]
 Though I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I'm probably one of the very few in there who've ever actually looked at "grain structures" and etc under electron microscope.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #11,494 of 16,305
Quote:
My specialty and research are more on the physical and microstructural side of things, so I'm sure I'd get dismissed by them 
size]
 Though I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I'm probably one of the very few in there who've ever actually looked at "grain structures" and etc under electron microscope.

This sounds too technical for the sound science forum
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #11,495 of 16,305
I actually offered one time in the science forum that if someone would send me some pieces of wire, I'd put it under the SEM and take some images.

No takers.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #11,496 of 16,305
Bah - nobody would argue about differences in grain structure - what they would argue would be electrical behavior related to it, and the audibility thereof. 

:)

There are a good number of actual scientists who would love to have real data and experiences on this stuff to work with, rather than just theory, induction/deduction, and far removed tests of unknown methodology.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #11,497 of 16,305
I know this site and its followers are not fans of beats by Dre, and I'm not either. But i just acquired pair
beats executive for a price i couldn't pass on. I'm asking for any help. The 1/8 stereo connector has
been severed. Iam attempting to solder a new connector, but the wire has 5 leads and the only
connector i can get my hands on is a 3 pole stereo connector. Using that connector can i somehow wire
it up sothat the headphones work? Also i believe that these particular ones was a working display
model. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that i could follow?Anything would help, any suggestions
greatly appreciated.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #11,499 of 16,305
Quote:
I actually offered one time in the science forum that if someone would send me some pieces of wire, I'd put it under the SEM and take some images.

No takers.

Imagine that. I once asked a metallurgist about how cryogenically "treating" a cable might change the crystal structure and when he stopped laughing he said that IF they changed or re-aligned, they'd go right back to their previous state once they got back to room temperature. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #11,500 of 16,305
Well technically... it'd be possible to reduce residual stresses and create microstructural changes that would persist upon warming back up... but those same microstructural changes (most likely recrystallization or precipitated phases) are also going to create more grain boundaries and lattice parameter mismatches which is the opposite of what all the fancy cables want to be. 

ph34r.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #11,501 of 16,305

My dog chewed through my M50's cable and I was thinking of doing a removable cable mod instead of repairing the stock cable just in case it happens again I could just buy a new cable. 
I'm not sure if I should buy a pre-made cable (The Aiaiai TMA-1 Straight Cable) or solder one myself and keep what remains of the cable so I can still use the 6.5 mm jack it has without having to get an adapter. Any suggestions?

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #11,502 of 16,305
Quote:
Go search the sound science forum for past holy wars about your last statement.  There are those who believe that paper clips soldered together will work just as well as the finest wires on the market.  You will have to sort it out for yourself unfortunately.

Cardas seems to be rising in price quite a bit and at this point doesn't seem very cost effective unless you find a dealer willing to cut you a deal.  If you want premade cable with shielding like the Cardas, you can look at Moon Audio's offerings.  Not litz, but OCC copper and silver.  Pretty reasonably priced, too.

As far as I know there is no OCC copper litz available to the DIY crowd.  Regular Type2 litz wire is available on the web and ebay if you google around.  

The fellas in that forum are intimidating hahaha (and a little too emotional XD), I'm to scared to post and start WWIII. =P

That's what I thought, everyone who used to stock them now either charges a ridiculous amount or just stopped carrying them. Shame really.

Quote:
clothes hangers... paper clips have too much resistance. Not much in the way of durability or flexibility either. :/

But yes, check out sound science for as much serious discussion as you can handle about metal choice, treatment, configuration and audibility. For my own part, I have yet to see compelling evidence, or even sound theoretical speculation, to suggest that for audio (especially headphone and interconnect usage) cryo/occ/litz/silver etc. make any difference whatsoever - if the R/L/C values are not way out of wack due to faulty construction or bad design choices, there should be no audible or measurable difference between any of them. 

Read above.
Quote:
And I only use these ones as they are "More Musical" than your standard office stationary brand...

I specifically use the headphone ones for headphones... 
biggrin.gif

[image]
Sorry had to be done... back to serious now. 
biggrin.gif

Those are just perfect for the cable I'm building!
Quote:
We do have black cotton sleeved Litz available also, not had a chance to list it yet.

More info please!

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #11,504 of 16,305
Quote:
My dog chewed through my M50's cable and I was thinking of doing a removable cable mod instead of repairing the stock cable just in case it happens again I could just buy a new cable. 
I'm not sure if I should buy a pre-made cable (The Aiaiai TMA-1 Straight Cable) or solder one myself and keep what remains of the cable so I can still use the 6.5 mm jack it has without having to get an adapter. Any suggestions?

I'd do a removable cable, but not exactly like you were planning (though you certainly could still use the stock cable and just make it removable):

I'd make 2 cables.  1 with a 3.5mm plug and another with a 6.3mm plug.  That way you don't need to use an adapter.

For the headphone portion, I can't remember but I think there should be enough room on the can for a mini-xlr jack.  The locking ability of that jack/plug combo would certainly be a benefit.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11,505 of 16,305
I just made an interconnect cable.

Mogami Quad + Neutrik right angled connectors.

I really like it!

I made a mistake with the connector (first time trying this connector), but i really like it. Very high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back