DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #11,401 of 16,305
Hey

I'm considering making some cables for fun. i found two different posts making slightly different cables.

this is the link to making triple braided poorly shielded silver cables:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/

and this is the link to a shielded copper cable:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Shielded-RCA-Interconnect-Cables/

i noticed that with the silver cables, the guide says to only ground the shield wire on the source end, where as the copper cable seem to use the shield as the ground link. doesn't that cause issues and noise? i'm slightly confused as to what the guy in the second guide did with his cable. can someone explain? thanks

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #11,402 of 16,305
Quote:
i noticed that with the silver cables, the guide says to only ground the shield wire on the source end, where as the copper cable seem to use the shield as the ground link. doesn't that cause issues and noise? i'm slightly confused as to what the guy in the second guide did with his cable. can someone explain? thanks

The 2nd link is the correct way to construct an RCA cable. Using the shield as the ground wire like this, is best practice.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #11,404 of 16,305
Quote:
oh hmmmm then what is the problem about creating ground loops or something?? so the third wire is not needed?

Single ended connection like RCAs is signal and ground. So your 2 pieces of gear interconnected by your RCA cable are going to have their grounds connected (unless you decide to use an isolation transformer).
Cable topology, shielding, materials, twisting, braiding, etc, doesn't really impact your grounding scheme.

The 3rd wire in that 1st cable is a bit of a mystery, its not going to be all that useful as a shield. If you want to do a 3 wire braid, then why not just connect 2 wires as ground, 1 as signal.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #11,405 of 16,305
oh no i wasn't sure what hte right cable design was. i saw in a thread on this forum (can't remember what it is exactly) some guy was saying his cable was picking up hum from his amp (i think...) and his solution was to make his own shielded cable. and it was suggested to him that he only ground the shield on the source end apparently it was successful. but i guess i'll stick with the majority opinion. haha thanks

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,406 of 16,305
can i just ask, is there any real diference using separate ground to the headphones with a 4 cable braid rather than 3 cable braid to y-split then split ground from there?

Thanks

As from what i know, crosstalk isnt a big problem with headphones

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #11,407 of 16,305
Quote:
can i just ask, is there any real diference using separate ground to the headphones with a 4 cable braid rather than 3 cable braid to y-split then split ground from there?

Thanks

As from what i know, crosstalk isnt a big problem with headphones

No. No real difference from a crosstalk or sq standpoint. If you are going to be using a balanced amplifier, obviously, you need the four conductors, but not otherwise. 

From an aesthetic perspective, I happen to prefer 4 wire round braids for my main cables, but that's cosmetic only.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #11,411 of 16,305
Thanks, I prefer 4 braid too, but used 3 on one as I didn't have enough cable

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #11,413 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone have a source for double wall 3/8" heatshrink without adhesive?  For Sennheiser Plugs without oozing adhesive!

AVoutlet is my source for all things heatshrink.  They have fantastic 3 to 1 heatshrink from Techflex by the foot and at great prices.  Not sure if it is technically double wall, but at 3 to 1, it provides good toughness when shrunk down.

AVoutlet is also a distributor for Viablue stuff if you are interested.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #11,415 of 16,305
I have been using that link to learn those braiding techniques, and it is very helpful.  Found the link a while ago, but I don't see a four wire braid that yeilds the look that DHC pictures.....I only see the round braid that I have been using!

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back