DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #11,326 of 16,305

Not the best lighting, since the sun was shining directly into the window (plus it's from my cell phone); but I just finished my shorter cable for my AKG K240s.  Amphenol TRP jack, Redco mini-xlr, red Mogami 2893.  Not bad, maybe a bit on the short side (it's just over 3' from tip to tip).  Sounds great, and I'm ready for my next project.

By the way...those mini-xlr jacks are a pain.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #11,327 of 16,305
I'm new to this whole 'DIY Cable' thing, but I decided to give it a try this past weekend.  I needed an interconnect to go between my Schiit Modi and my amplifier, and after browsing quite a few pages from this thread (I gave up after about 250) settled on the following:

I used 16 strands of solid copper that I sheathed individually with #1 paracord in both red and black (that part took the longest) and then weaved them together using a cross-whip weave style I picked up after studying pictures of Jena Labs speaker cables.  I began with all the red on one side and the black on another, and ended the same way.  I think it turned out pretty good, and it sounds great.

Although, to be honest, this was just a proof-of-concept.  I've never woven (or braided, for that matter) anything before this, nor had I ever soldered anything.  This one is really just a temporary solution.  I learned a lot making this cable, and will probably make another, more permanent solution using silver wire and higher-quality RCA plugs.

My little boy was holding the end of the cable in this picture.  He really wanted to help out!

The cables connected to my current setup (I'm a teacher, and this is on the desk in my classroom.)

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #11,328 of 16,305
Quote:

Some of those are pretty large, and since I don't know Finnish, I have no idea how they're constructed.

What is your goal; what are you trying to make?

I wanna make some 1/8" -> 1/4" cables and such, those are pretty cheap so that would be great practice. Is speaker cable somenthing you can make a cable with? And how good is PVC Test lead wire with 392 strands and diameter of 3mm?

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #11,329 of 16,305
Anybody familiar with the pin out for these two to connect a ibasso DB2 to a -dB? Specifically not sure on the pin 1 & 4 on the HIROSE. Any help would be great

Auto-IRIS Balanced connector on RSA balanced amplifiers Pin 1: Left positive (+)
Pin 2: Right positive (+)
Pin 3: Left negative (-)
Pin 4: Right negative (-)
Used for the Ray Samuels Audio balanced portable amps: The Protector and SR-71B. As such, frequently referred to as an RSA balanced plug.

Also used for the ALO Rx MK3 B balanced amp.

Outside of audio, this is commonly used to connect controller circuits for video camera lenses.
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6 Balanced connector on iBasso balanced amplifiers
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6P is the male connector
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6S is the female connector
Pin 1: Right ground
Pin 3: Right negative (-)
Pin 4: Left ground
Pin 5: Left Positive (+)
Pin 6: Left negative (-)
Pins 1 & 4 are not used for headphones.
Pins 1 & 4 are used only for device interconnects (eg, DAC -> amp)

Outside of audio, this is commonly used as a video connector.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #11,330 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm new to this whole 'DIY Cable' thing, but I decided to give it a try this past weekend.  I needed an interconnect to go between my Schiit Modi and my amplifier, and after browsing quite a few pages from this thread (I gave up after about 250) settled on the following:

I used 16 strands of solid copper that I sheathed individually with #1 paracord in both red and black (that part took the longest) and then weaved them together using a cross-whip weave style I picked up after studying pictures of Jena Labs speaker cables.  I began with all the red on one side and the black on another, and ended the same way.  I think it turned out pretty good, and it sounds great.

Although, to be honest, this was just a proof-of-concept.  I've never woven (or braided, for that matter) anything before this, nor had I ever soldered anything.  This one is really just a temporary solution.  I learned a lot making this cable, and will probably make another, more permanent solution using silver wire and higher-quality RCA plugs.

My little boy was holding the end of the cable in this picture.  He really wanted to help out!

The cables connected to my current setup (I'm a teacher, and this is on the desk in my classroom.)

I normally don't quote entire picture posts... but that was your *first* braid? With *solid* wire?!? 
size]

Wow, I'm speechless.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #11,331 of 16,305
Quote:
Anybody familiar with the pin out for these two to connect a ibasso DB2 to a -dB? Specifically not sure on the pin 1 & 4 on the HIROSE. Any help would be great

Auto-IRIS Balanced connector on RSA balanced amplifiers Pin 1: Left positive (+)
Pin 3: Left negative (-)
Pin 4: Right negative (-)
Used for the Ray Samuels Audio balanced portable amps: The Protector and SR-71B. As such, frequently referred to as an RSA balanced plug.

Also used for the ALO Rx MK3 B balanced amp.

Outside of audio, this is commonly used to connect controller circuits for video camera lenses.
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6 Balanced connector on iBasso balanced amplifiers
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6P is the male connector
HIROSE HR10A-7R-6S is the female connector
Pin 1: Right ground
Pin 3: Right negative (-)
Pin 4: Left ground
Pin 5: Left Positive (+)
Pin 6: Left negative (-)
Pins 1 & 4 are not used for headphones.
Pins 1 & 4 are used only for device interconnects (eg, DAC -> amp)

Outside of audio, this is commonly used as a video connector.

Pins 1 and 4 do not get used as far as i am aware.

Pin 2 on Hirose goes to pin 2 on Iris. Right +
Pin 3  on Hirose goes to pin 4 on Iris. Right -
Pin 5 on Hirose goes to pin 1 on Iris. Left +
Pin 6 on Hirose goes to pin 3 on Iris. Left -

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #11,332 of 16,305
Quote:

An impressive low-pass filter.
tongue.gif

I don't know if it will be audible, but if I had to pick a candidate from this thread, this would be on my short list.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #11,333 of 16,305
Quote:
Pins 1 and 4 do not get used as far as i am aware.

Pin 2 on Hirose goes to pin 2 on Iris. Right +
Pin 3  on Hirose goes to pin 4 on Iris. Right -
Pin 5 on Hirose goes to pin 1 on Iris. Left +
Pin 6 on Hirose goes to pin 3 on Iris. Left -

Re 1 & 4 on the HIROSE, I suspected as much. Thanks Frank

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #11,334 of 16,305
Quote:

tongue.gif

I don't know if it will be audible, but if I had to pick a candidate from this thread, this would be on my short list.

Actually that particular braid pattern shouldn't have much capacitance at all as there are very few adjacent black/red wires (being ground and signal). So treble rolloff shouldnt be a problem.
It looks like it would be great for speakers, but for ICs the issue with that approach is no shielding whatsoever, which is certainly less than ideal.

EDIT: just realised by looking at it that red was Right and black was Left, so maybe there is a bit of capacitance there. But with air gap and dual layers of paracord between each, maybe not so bad at all.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #11,335 of 16,305
Quote:
Actually that particular braid pattern shouldn't have much capacitance at all as there are very few adjacent black/red wires (being ground and signal). So treble rolloff shouldnt be a problem.
It looks like it would be great for speakers, but for ICs the issue with that approach is no shielding whatsoever, which is certainly less than ideal.

EDIT: just realised by looking at it that red was Right and black was Left, so maybe there is a bit of capacitance there. But with air gap and dual layers of paracord between each, maybe not so bad at all.

Now that you say it, they do cross at rather high angles.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #11,336 of 16,305
Quote:

So criss-crossing left and right together will create capacitance? or is that signal and ground together will create capacitance? I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the effective circuit diagram looks like here. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #11,337 of 16,305
Shunt capacitance (parallel to load) will create a low pass filter.
All capacitors are two conductors separated by a dielectric.
Greater proximity, shared area and dielectric permittivity give higher capacitance.
Two wires crossing share less area than two running parallel. Many small conductors running parallel share a greater area than fewer with the same total cross-section. Same for a long cable vs. a short one.
Thinner dielectrics give greater proximity and various sheath materials have varying permittivity, f.ex. vacuum, air, PTFE, PE, paper and water, in increasing order.

Cable capacitance is the primary reason why electrostatic headphone cables look the way they do.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11,338 of 16,305
Quote:

Beautifully done!  Incredible patience to do all that sleeving for your first cable.

I have always liked that style braid.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #11,339 of 16,305
Quote:
Most impressive. What kind of braid pattern are you following? 

At first glance I thought you were using a speakON connector and thought "man, he's hardcore..." 

Sorry, forgot to answer.  It is a square sinnet, I believe.  Just a modification of the 8 wire square braid, where you double the number of wires you are moving under and over.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #11,340 of 16,305
Wow, lots of replies!
Quote:

I normally don't quote entire picture posts... but that was your *first* braid? With *solid* wire?!? 
size]

Wow, I'm speechless.

Thanks, and yes, this was my first time with DIY audio cables, and braiding (or weaving, as the case may be) but I did a lot of homework before I began.  I sheathed quite a bit of copper in #1 paracord, and made some test pieces of the braid with regular-sized (550) paracord to try and work out the finer details of the braid.  Here's one of my test pieces:

And then we moved on to durability testing:

He spent the better part of 2 days with it wrapped around his waist, saying it was "Batman's belt".  Upon inspection, it was no worse for the wear.  Only then did I move on to making the actual cable.  The weave was really the easiest part, you just have to keep everything lined up just so.  If anyone's interested I could post a how-to with pictures.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Ha!  You guys are funny.  Seriously, though, I thought about that as I was making it, and figured that if it didn't sound good, I'd just chuck it and try something else.  Fortunately that wasn't the case.  It sounds great.
Quote:
Beautifully done!  Incredible patience to do all that sleeving for your first cable.

I have always liked that style braid.

This is, indeed, high praise coming from you.  I've been in awe of some of the cables you've created.  Thanks for the compliments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back