DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11,296 of 16,309
Quote:

Yes, although both cables are shielded so you'll have to be patient while you do it.

I recently built some headphone cables with Canare L-4E6S and I stripped it in several steps:

1. Cut off the outer jacket with a sharp knife.
2. Snip off a few CM of the shielding with wirecutters. After it's loose enough, you can literally push (not pull) it off of the inner bundle, because as the shield braid compacts, it expands in diameter and loosens.
3. Strip out the cotton padding between each wire -- you can remove that with a couple yanks.

Then it's just a matter of unwinding the cables onto spools. I use paper towel tubes.

Thank you so much for your help.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11,297 of 16,309
Quote:

What place would you recommend getting Mogami/Canare cables?

I purchased Mogami Gold Neglex Quad, W2534, 24ga, and W2893, 26ga from Markertek.com, a little over a dollar a foot.  I made a very neutral 20ft extension, after trying several others, Blue Dragon, Milian, Grado, Radio Shack (ugh), I sold the others, and will now be using only the W2534 for extensions.  I just finished a Sennheiser HD600/etc HP cable, and I am very happy with the results.  Planning to braid a copper (returns) and pure silver 1% gold cryoed 26 ga wire, have some Type 1 paracord due in the next couple of days.  I like what I see form other DIYers here with the wood Y spit, etc!  Kudos to a very good thread, that I have only been subscribed to for about two weeks.  Probably the most helpful/knowledgable group of guys on headfi!  Thanks for all of the fantastic tips!

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #11,298 of 16,309
Quote:

The problem that I have had with Toxic Cables, being in the UK, $8 shipping for the wire.....but there is no "Add to Cart" on the ebay items, so if you want different wire the $8 applies to each item.  I have emailed twice asking how to combine wire types/shipping from the web store, and I didn't get a response.  Easier to buy here in the USA, DHC, Plussound, Headphone Lounge, mostly all Cryoed now days.....shipping is a lot cheaper for those of us in the US, and USPS Priority Mail 2 - 3 days is aroundr $5 for how ever much can be put in an envelope or small flat rate box.  For those in EU or UK, a lot easier to purchase there!

Not sure you know this, but you can just purchase everything you need without paying for it, then request total, at which point an invoice is sent with combined shipping. Buy you can obviously purchase where you like. My shipping is also £8, which is near $12, not $8, by recorded signed for post.

As for my previous message, it was just a general statement about why i prefer not to use anything smaller then 26AWG as i saw my company name mentioned.

I don't remember seeing and messages from you, if i had done, you would have received a reply.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,299 of 16,309
Toxic cable store is in ebay UK, if you access the page using ebay.com, you will not be able to add to cart. Try accessing it from ebay.co.uk, use the same account. This works for me

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #11,301 of 16,309
Quote:
Not sure you know this, but you can just purchase everything you need without paying for it, then request total, at which point an invoice is sent with combined shipping. Buy you can obviously purchase where you like. My shipping is also £8, which is near $12, not $8, by recorded signed for post.

As for my previous message, it was just a general statement about why i prefer not to use anything smaller then 26AWG as i saw my company name mentioned.

I don't remember seeing and messages from you, if i had done, you would have received a reply.

You don't remember?  You didn't respond to me for over three days, after I made a purchase, even though it said in stock on your ebay page, it took you that long to respond that it would be 2 - 4 weeks lead time for the cable.  Twice I messaged through ebay, asking how to order mutliple items with no Add to Cart!  Not the best customer service, but since I found that it is easier to order from the US, for the convenience with less hassle! 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #11,302 of 16,309
Quote:

You don't remember?  You didn't respond to me for over three days, after I made a purchase, even though it said in stock on your ebay page, it took you that long to respond that it would be 2 - 4 weeks lead time for the cable.  Twice I messaged through ebay, asking how to order mutliple items with no Add to Cart!  Not the best customer service, but since I found that it is easier to order from the US, for the convenience with less hassle! 

As far as i am aware, no one has been having issues buying from my eBay store and all eBay messages are replied to within 24hrs as far as i know, as i clear the inbox on a daily basis.

2-4 weeks lead time on cable, do you mean headphone cables, or wires, because wires ship within couple days.

If you would like to give me your eBay user name, i can search for these messages in my inbox. This is indeed odd as i cannot see how i could have missed 2 messages from the same person.

It's good to hear that you can get what you need from the US. 
biggrin.gif

Edit, Have sent you couple PM's asking for eBay user name so i can look in to this, not received reply yet.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #11,303 of 16,309
Quote:
Check out Yewaudio.com.  Clint does very nice work.

Edit.. his site looks down at the moment.  Not sure what happened, but the wood on my cables from earlier in this thread are all from him.

Do you have the length and width of the Y splitter?  Seems like the Yewaudio.com site has been down a while....I think I have found a source for the beads!

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #11,305 of 16,309
Quote:

Do you have the length and width of the Y splitter?  Seems like the Yewaudio.com site has been down a while....I think I have found a source for the beads!

Sorry, cable is at home.  I believe it is between 1 and 1.5 inchese long.  Opening is approximately 6-7mm.  Thickness of wood is variable.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #11,306 of 16,309
Quote:
Has anyone ever found and used HD650 female plugs in another brand of headphones?

I haven't seen anyone do that.  Any reason why you don't want to go with a more standard setup?  If you are really that into trying, you can give these guys a shot:  Custom Medical Cable & Connector Division of Plastics One

They seem to be the origin of both the Sennheiser plugs and some others like Westone IEMs.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #11,308 of 16,309
Quote:
It's not necessarily a bad idea but I'm curious what your motivation is for wanting to try it. If you're adding a removable cable to a headphone that doesn't have one, it's more common to use either mini-XLR or 3/32" or 3.5mm phone sockets.

Or a locking power connector. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #11,309 of 16,309
Quote:
It's not necessarily a bad idea but I'm curious what your motivation is for wanting to try it. If you're adding a removable cable to a headphone that doesn't have one, it's more common to use either mini-XLR or 3/32" or 3.5mm phone sockets.

Just thinking of you I could use several DIY cables with Senn plugs on other headphones!

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #11,310 of 16,309
Quote:

Just thinking of you I could use several DIY cables with Senn plugs on other headphones!

It would be easier to replace the senn jacks with something more standard, than to create senn jacks in other headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back