DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #11,146 of 16,305
Quote:
Arent those 4 conductor cables so you cant braid them?

Cut the jacket and shielding off and strip out the lining.

It's kind of a nuisance but the added effort wins you high-quality wire for between ten and twenty-five cents a foot.

Alternately you can get wire from BTG; it's more or less the wire in Mogami W2893. $0.80/ft, but you don't have to cut any jackets or shields to get at it. I think the added price is fair, considering.

These prices I'm throwing around assume that you're in the U.S.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #11,150 of 16,305
navships wire is quality stuff but I think the teflon insulation makes it stiffer than it should be. It's fantastic IC and internal wire, though.

Doesn't mogami/starquad wire come in four different colors on the inside?

I've been looking for a source for relatively cheap clear insulated stranded SPC (so it doesn't turn green) but haven't found anything cheaper than $1/foot. Anyone got a source? Would want to buy ~50 feet or so.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #11,151 of 16,305
Mogami and Canare wires have different colors depending on the model. For example, the Canare L-4E5C is pairs of blue and white, while the Mogami W2893 is black, red, blue, and clear.

If you're going to be sleeving whatever you build, I don't think the wire colors matter all that much.

SPC won't turn green, because silver tarnishes to black, not green.  (Edit: I misread you. Obviously you know that. Sorry.)

I don't think you'll see prices much under $1/ft for PE-jacketed SPC. There are some Chinese sellers that list for under a dollar a foot, but international shipping knocks the price back up to your threshold again.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #11,152 of 16,305
Quote:
navships wire is quality stuff but I think the teflon insulation makes it stiffer than it should be. It's fantastic IC and internal wire, though.

I've been looking for a source for relatively cheap clear insulated stranded SPC (so it doesn't turn green) but haven't found anything cheaper than $1/foot. Anyone got a source? Would want to buy ~50 feet or so.

Ill post pictures later but i stripped the navships and sleeved them with mini 440 cord then braided it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #11,153 of 16,305
Quote:

2893 comes in 26ga in four colors (red, black, clear, blue) - this is the stuff BTG audio sells afaik - very soft and flexible, braids well.
2534 comes in 24 ga in two colors (clear, blue) - better for IC's in my opinion, not as flexible.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #11,154 of 16,305
I want to recable some iem's and need some help.

Because its my first time  I will be using a readymade cable from lunashop.
I have been reading through this thread for sometime but still have a few questions:

1. when i will have the iem opened how would i know where to solder the ground and where to solder the left or right. For example how would someone know which cable goes where in the picture below 

2. When I will get this cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2155
how can I determine which cable is which (left/right/ ground) I know it can be done with a mutlimeter, but what should I seen on the screen so that i know which is which.

3. I have acces to a solder where i can set a temperature, at which temperature should I solder to the drivers. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #11,156 of 16,305
my first Recabling :) 
audio technica sj-33
the old cable stopped working
so i said what the hell..
added 3.5mm jack to the drivers.
some wire and parts i had around my room.

they work like a charm i'm pretty satisfied with the result.

let me know what you think.
it's in imgur because it seems that i can't upload my pic here.

http://imgur.com/a/ynH7y/

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #11,157 of 16,305
I dig the AT re-cable, I would suggest some Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs done the road for better durability. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #11,158 of 16,305
Actually, those Radio Shack plugs are pleasingly sturdy, even if they're not as good-looking as Switchcrafts.

Quote:
1. when i will have the iem opened how would i know where to solder the ground and where to solder the left or right. For example how would someone know which cable goes where in the picture below 

2. When I will get this cable: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2155
how can I determine which cable is which (left/right/ ground) I know it can be done with a mutlimeter, but what should I seen on the screen so that i know which is which.

3. I have acces to a solder where i can set a temperature, at which temperature should I solder to the drivers. 

Use your multimeter as a continuity tester to determine which wire connects to which part of the plug. The values it displays are not important; only whether it's detecting a closed or open circuit.

The plug is called a TRS -- for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. The tip is the pointed end of the plug, the sleeve is closest to the base of the plug.

You'll have two wires connected to the sleeve, and one each connected to the tip and ring, like this:

Left channel:
one wire -> tip
one wire -> sleeve

Right channel:
one wire -> ring
one wire -> sleeve

As for which wire to connect to which speaker element, look to see if there are any markings to indicate + and - near the solder points.

I like to run my soldering iron fairly high -- close to 400 C -- because I use lead-free solder and I'm usually working on larger chunks of metal. You might not want to do that if you're working on small, easily-melted things like earphone speakers, and you might not have to if you're using leaded solder.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11,159 of 16,305
Actually, those Radio Shack plugs are pleasingly sturdy, even if they're not as good-looking as Switchcrafts.

Use your multimeter as a continuity tester to determine which wire connects to which part of the plug. The values it displays are not important; only whether it's detecting a closed or open circuit.

The plug is called a TRS -- for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. The tip is the pointed end of the plug, the sleeve is closest to the base of the plug.

You'll have two wires connected to the sleeve, and one each connected to the tip and ring, like this:

Left channel:
one wire -> tip
one wire -> sleeve

Right channel:
one wire -> ring
one wire -> sleeve

As for which wire to connect to which speaker element, look to see if there are any markings to indicate + and - near the solder points.

I like to run my soldering iron fairly high -- close to 400 C -- because I use lead-free solder and I'm usually working on larger chunks of metal. You might not want to do that if you're working on small, easily-melted things like earphone speakers, and you might not have to if you're using leaded solder.

Thank you very much. But what will be + and what will be -?

+ right ?
- left?

Or

+ left or right ( depending which earpiece)?
- ground ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back