DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #11,116 of 16,305
Or you could just spend $7 on 6 feet of Mogami, and be done with it. Not as pretty for barewire braiding unless you get a bunch and strip it down though. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #11,117 of 16,305
Quote:
By what kind I jut meant how many wires you plan on using and if you were braiding.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-24-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-White-19-strand-/230916742024?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c3b5db88

That will be perfect for you. Comes in 25 ft so it is a perfect amount and will cost about $7. It is what I use. Or if you wanted to save on shipping buy a couple for future products.

Personally, I would avoid using that wire (or any Navships wire) for headphone cables.  I love it for interconnects or internal wiring, but it picks up and conducts a lot of physical noise.  The teflon is thick and the stranding low relative to higher end wire, so it is a little stiffer than you want for cables, especially portable cables that will move around and flex a lot.

If you are ok spending the money, Toxic Cables is easily your best bet in the UK for high quality wire that is meant specifically for headphone cables.  There are other sellers in the US that I am aware of, but most likely will be more expensive due to shipping.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,118 of 16,305
Quote:
 I dont think 2 24awgs can fit into the headband of the HD25, so 26ft will be good..

some people prefer better cable for signal than ground. But my friend told me that when he reterminate his ALO Ref16, the SXC cable is used for ground and Copper is used for signal.

Sorry - confused about if 2 x 24 awgs won't fit then it becomes 26foot..  can you help me understand why if too think I need more length (how I read that)

Also - second item confused me too...  'some say better to use different, but friend uses different...'  So your friend uses different and is ok??

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,119 of 16,305
Quote:

Personally, I would avoid using that wire (or any Navships wire) for headphone cables.  I love it for interconnects or internal wiring, but it picks up and conducts a lot of physical noise.  The teflon is thick and the stranding low relative to higher end wire, so it is a little stiffer than you want for cables, especially portable cables that will move around and flex a lot.

If you are ok spending the money, Toxic Cables is easily your best bet in the UK for high quality wire that is meant specifically for headphone cables.  There are other sellers in the US that I am aware of, but most likely will be more expensive due to shipping.

ok - will go with Toxic I think - just trying to figure out if I can use different wires for grounding and what size will fit the HD25 headband now...

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #11,121 of 16,305
Quote:

ok - will go with Toxic I think - just trying to figure out if I can use different wires for grounding and what size will fit the HD25 headband now...

You could flip your cups and go dual-entry from the bottom.  This way you don't have to worry about wire in the band.  That is what I did when I still had some HD25s.  Makes it easier to measure and make the cable since it is even to both cups.

As for mixing, I don't think it matters too much for headphone cables as long as you don't have too large a gap in conductor size.

Don't forget to post pictures!

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #11,123 of 16,305
Quote:

The headphones have no sense of what is signal and what is ground, neither does the cables themselves for that matter.
As long as you stay within acceptable parametres it is all OK. Gold one way and steel the other won't make a hoot of a difference.

And if things don't fit perfectly, you could just hack it:

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #11,126 of 16,305
Quote:

What would be the best (or one of) wire for litz braiding a single entry headphone cable, 4 wire, 3.5mm jack with a U.S dealer

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11,127 of 16,305
Quote:

Neither of my 26 or 24AWG wires will fit the HD25 headband when the wires are twisted together, you would need to heatshrink both the wires together, side by side as shown in the picture below, this way both sizes fit.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #11,128 of 16,305
Quote:
What would be the best (or one of) wire for litz braiding a single entry headphone cable, 4 wire, 3.5mm jack with a U.S dealer

My favorite is the Nucleotide UPOCC wire from Doublehelixcables.com.  It comes in clear or black, but only 24awg.  Another shop that has UPOCC wire like the Nucleotide is Plussoundaudio.com.  Those are the only two I know outside of Toxic Cables.

If you want something more compact, you might see if Headphonelounge will sell some of their UPOCC copper (or silver plated copper) in teflon.  Don't know if they will.  It is the only teflon coated wire that I have found that is ok for headphone cables.  Very compact, too.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #11,129 of 16,305
Quote:

Sorry - confused about if 2 x 24 awgs won't fit then it becomes 26foot..  can you help me understand why if too think I need more length (how I read that)

Also - second item confused me too...  'some say better to use different, but friend uses different...'  So your friend uses different and is ok??

firstly, sorry for the typo. I edited that.

secondly, I personally believe that both signal and ground have to be of the same quality. Better ground will end up with better result. Eg: I used both Jena Ultrawire for my mini2mini cable and someone uses Jena Ultrawire for signal and Mogami 2534 for ground. Compared both of them and sounded different. so if you have the cash, always go for better ground

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #11,130 of 16,305
ok - just ordered 24 foot of 26 AWG Pure Stranded Silver Plated 7N Cryo Treated UP - OCC Copper wire from toxic cables.  Will post pics when I get around to making this (hopefully within a month!).  thanks all for help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back