DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #10,831 of 16,305
Quote:
That moment when youre absolutely fed up with something. Completely assembled before, no sound, took all apart got sound but forgot the shell casings. Took apart again to add shells and wire clamp broke breaking a contact I just soldered, got fixed shells on, no sound again. And I burned myself. **** me, still no sound. Think I might just have to re-order..but I dont feel like waiting 2 and a half weeks on redco again.

Me when I'm building is usually a painful burn every 10 minutes or so.  Generally I'll sacrifice the wellbeing of my fingertips to get a wire where it needs to be.  The kind of burns you get from soldering irons rarely leave a mark though like a blister or anything - they'll generally just put a little brand on you.  Then again, I use a Metcal soldering iron which solders at the minimum temperature, so it's harder to burn yourself with that.  Stuff that's been heated by the heat gun can burn you pretty badly, I find things heated to 300-500 degrees are nowhere near as hot as an 800F tip on a soldering iron - now those really will mess you up.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #10,832 of 16,305
Quote:

Stuff that's been heated by the heat gun can burn you pretty badly, I find things heated to 300-500 degrees are nowhere near as hot as an 800F tip on a soldering iron - now those really will mess you up.

lol so true, what's even worse is sometimes after a real precise solder joint you try picking up the solder iron again but by the front metal shaft...ouch

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #10,833 of 16,305
So I just had the greatest beginner's luck on my first recable. I accidentally ripped up both of the leads to one of the drivers when my iron slipped. I managed to see both (extremely hair thin) leads and soldered them back on. I nearly cried in joy when i pressed play and heard sound. 

The recabled KSC75 sound completely different now. The sound seems like it's in the back of my head instead of near the front. I have no idea how to describe this in correct terms. Do cables need burn in or anything? 

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #10,834 of 16,305
Quote:
The recabled KSC75 sound completely different now. The sound seems like it's in the back of my head instead of near the front. I have no idea how to describe this in correct terms. Do cables need burn in or anything? 

No. Sounds like you've got the polarity messed up (maybe). One channel is correct phase, the other is reverse phase. Swap one over (at either end) and you should be sweet. Use a multimeter to test which one is correct phase is you're worried about absolute phase, but it's not overly critical imo although some people would say otherwise.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #10,835 of 16,305
Quote:

I offering cables with individual wires sleeved last December, under the Toxic brand. There are some pictures on the Audez'e aftermarket cables thread, although it was paracord back then :)

The Viablue Y splitters come in at 13.8g. I based the design of mine on a aluminium iPhone case i have :) I have made mine in 4 different sizes for my cables, although i will only be selling the medium one to start with.

Some new wires now available, from top,

24AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper in cotton jacket.

18AWG Cryo OCC Silver plated Copper.

18AWG Cryo OCC Copper.

22AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper 

25.5AWG Cryo OCC Litz Silver with higher then 1% gold content. (not available for DIY)

Awesome, can't wait to get a hold of some OCC copper litz with cotton jacket.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #10,836 of 16,305
Quote:
No. Sounds like you've got the polarity messed up (maybe). One channel is correct phase, the other is reverse phase. Swap one over (at either end) and you should be sweet. Use a multimeter to test which one is correct phase is you're worried about absolute phase, but it's not overly critical imo although some people would say otherwise.

If the recording has good spacial cues in it, a flipped polarity on one speaker can be quite disorienting. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #10,837 of 16,305
Quote:

So I should swap the wires on one side? With One being connected to ground it should be okay?

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #10,839 of 16,305
Just used this useful site to check and yes, it is definitely the polarlity : http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I'm going to just swap one side and hope it's nothing wrong in the plug side :frowning2: Switched one side and its awesome now, thanks to everyone for the help!

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #10,840 of 16,305
Quote:
I offering cables with individual wires sleeved last December, under the Toxic brand. There are some pictures on the Audez'e aftermarket cables thread, although it was paracord back then :)

The Viablue Y splitters come in at 13.8g. I based the design of mine on a aluminium iPhone case i have :) I have made mine in 4 different sizes for my cables, although i will only be selling the medium one to start with.

Some new wires now available, from top,

24AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper in cotton jacket.

18AWG Cryo OCC Silver plated Copper.

18AWG Cryo OCC Copper.

22AWG Cryo OCC Litz Copper 

25.5AWG Cryo OCC Litz Silver with higher then 1% gold content. (not available for DIY)

i totally need to get some of that 25.5AWG cable! too bad it's not available for diy.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #10,841 of 16,305
Just made my first interconnect.  Nothing super fancy, but I had fun and it looks purdy.  I used 24 awg spc from navships on ebay, cardas quad solder, and cheap mini's (because I don't want to spend the big bucks till I'm at least fairly well versed at this... Next project is gonna be an iPhone LOD to 3.5

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #10,842 of 16,305
Quote:
Just made my first interconnect.  Nothing super fancy, but I had fun and it looks purdy.  I used 24 awg spc from navships on ebay, cardas quad solder, and cheap mini's (because I don't want to spend the big bucks till I'm at least fairly well versed at this... Next project is gonna be an iPhone LOD to 3.5

Are those the connectors that radio shack has?

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #10,844 of 16,305
Got to love Radioschiit, i mean radioshack. radioshaquille o'neal

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10,845 of 16,305
I hate their connectors. They suck. I used them for my first cable I ever made and it had a loose connection inside my modded M50s. I got some of those black and gold neutriks and they fit perfectly and actually stayed in, but theyre a quarter of the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back