Hello all,

I have :
60 FT of 22AWG Silver Plated OFC Tri Insulation Teflon Kapton Wire
5FT of 18AWG Silver Plated OFC Teflon Wire
30FT 16AWG Silver Plated OFC Teflon Wire
10FT 3x16AWG Silver Plated OFC Tri-Teflon Wire

What should i make with these?
Was thinking of making ...

(3) 6FT Triple Conductor Headphone Cables with the 60FT. (3x Neutrik Rean NYS228BG 1/4 Plugs to Mini-XLR, 3.5mm, and Sennheiser input)
(1) 1.5FT Triple Conductor RCA to RCA Cable with the 5FT. (2x Pure Silver Plated Pure Copper RCA Plug)
(1) 3.5FT Octo Conductor Speaker Wire Cable with the 30FT. (4x CMC Silver Plated Pure Copper Spade Connector)
(1) 3FT Triple Conductor Power Cable with the 10FT. (Oyaide C-0004 & P-004 Mains IEC Plug Connector)

Is there a better configuration i can have with these? if so i can change up the build. Please let me know thanks:

PS. Headphone cables for Sennheiser HD-650, Ultrasone HFI-2400, and AKG Q701

~ Timothy

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #10,622 of 16,310
Quote:
Just made this for fun and practice braiding while I'm waiting on figuring out what materials i'm gonna get for my recabling job.
Man Cat5 has so much memory to it lol

Crappy phone pic

Thats cause its solid core. I made that mistake when I made my first cable, I used wires from a cat3 cables I had laying around, and it ended being pretty stiff. The weave looks good though, just get some stranded wire :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #10,623 of 16,310
Quote:
Hello all,
I have :
60 FT of 22AWG Silver Plated OFC Tri Insulation Teflon Kapton Wire
5FT of 18AWG Silver Plated OFC Teflon Wire
30FT 16AWG Silver Plated OFC Teflon Wire
10FT 3x16AWG Silver Plated OFC Tri-Teflon Wire
What should i make with these?
Was thinking of making ...
(3) 6FT Triple Conductor Headphone Cables with the 60FT. (3x Neutrik Rean NYS228BG 1/4 Plugs to Mini-XLR, 3.5mm, and Sennheiser input)
(1) 1.5FT Triple Conductor RCA to RCA Cable with the 5FT. (2x Pure Silver Plated Pure Copper RCA Plug)
(1) 3.5FT Octo Conductor Speaker Wire Cable with the 30FT. (4x CMC Silver Plated Pure Copper Spade Connector)
(1) 3FT Triple Conductor Power Cable with the 10FT. (Oyaide C-0004 & P-004 Mains IEC Plug Connector)
Is there a better configuration i can have with these? if so i can change up the build. Please let me know thanks:
PS. Headphone cables for Sennheiser HD-650, Ultrasone HFI-2400, and AKG Q701
~ Timothy

Triple conductor will not work for HD650 - it needs at least four conductors (two per channel).
You will need an Oyaide Ultrasone plug for HFI2400 if you want the cable to remain detachable or modify the socket in the headphone to take regular plugs.  As it is, the 3.5mm jack is too deep in their for most 3.5mm plugs. Or scavenge the plug from a spare cable.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10,625 of 16,310
Triple conductor will not work for HD650 - it needs at least four conductors (two per channel).
You will need an Oyaide Ultrasone plug for HFI2400 if you want the cable to remain detachable or modify the socket in the headphone to take regular plugs.  As it is, the 3.5mm jack is too deep in their for most 3.5mm plugs. Or scavenge the plug from a spare cable.

Oh right i forgot that the Sennheiser needed a ground for each side.

I have the Ultrasone plug, i took it from the extra 20FT Green cable that came with the AKG Q701. Hehe.
The 3.5mm is threaded, i looked around for one new, but from Qables is overpriced and not worth it, so i had to strip it from the 701 cable.

I think i might just sell the AKG701 & Ultrasone HFi-2400 and buy a HifiMan HE-500.
I don't like the sound signature of those two. The 650 however, i love. But sometimes it could be overly smooth.

As for the cables, everything should be good right? Does Copper RCA have a significant gain over Brass RCA?

@ Tangster
Yummy Carbon Fiber Plugs man. However, Rhodium ones look lots shinier/nicer. :D

~Tim

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #10,628 of 16,310
A random question for those who have made Hifiman cables. How hard is it to solder onto the mini SMC/mini Coax connectors that the Hifiman Headphones use? Also, what size adhesive shrink tubing do you use to cover the connectors?

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #10,629 of 16,310
Quote:
A random question for those who have made Hifiman cables. How hard is it to solder onto the mini SMC/mini Coax connectors that the Hifiman Headphones use? Also, what size adhesive shrink tubing do you use to cover the connectors?

Not that hard, solder the positive to the internal pin inside the connector, ground get's soldered to the body right under the "hump". Use hotglue to make sure they dont wiggle.

Heat shrink..I used 3:1 ratio 3/8".

Good luck if you attempt! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #10,630 of 16,310
Quote:
My latest work, ordered by someone to build iem cable.

True Silver ~ Silver Dragon

Silver Dragon Cable+ WBT Solder + Silver Argentium Pin

not yet finish, need the final finishing. hehehehehe...
just keep posting.....................

Update... Finished...
bigsmile_face.gif

Silver Dragon + Silver Pin =

The True Silver Dragon...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Nice work! Where did you get the pins?

DIY from silver argentium wire ... it's diameter 0.8 mm must be tuned to make it fit to Westone female plug.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #10,631 of 16,310
So what size shrink tubing do you guys think I should pick up for my recable job? Currently just have a bunch of sizes in my cart but I would much rather have the ones I need then random stuff.
What sizes do you use most often with Mogami W2893?
Do you use adhesive type at all? I have a hard time finding it.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #10,632 of 16,310
This morning, I woke up, took my grinder machine, snip, snip, snip, 5 minute tune, then a 10 minute wait for epoxy dried, it become trial Westone pin female connector.

Imagine if we had a favorite IEM and headphones, recable for good IEM cables above $50 usd... If I recable headphones? Could spend more than $100 for both.

Well i got an idea to make detachable cable for headphone like UE TF10, so it can share the same cable between IEM and headphones ...
1 cable for a variety of cans.

this time the female 2 pin westone connector just a trial, forward I would like to apply it to my Allesandro MS1i, just need several time time ...

FYI, it's made from silver...

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #10,633 of 16,310
So I picked up some silver plated copper stranded wire coated in teflon from navships on ebay and recabled some KSC75's.  The microphonics were explosive, completely unbearable in my book.  Did I do something wrong or is that just expected with stranded wire?  I didn't sleeve them in anything, but did a relatively tight litz braid.  

I do have some type I and type III 550 paracord coming for this and other projects so maybe that will make a marked improvement?

I'll take viciously stiff solid core over stranded every time if that I what I should expect.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #10,635 of 16,310
So I picked up some silver plated copper stranded wire coated in teflon from navships on ebay and recabled some KSC75's.  The microphonics were explosive, completely unbearable in my book.  Did I do something wrong or is that just expected with stranded wire?  I didn't sleeve them in anything, but did a relatively tight litz braid.  

I do have some type I and type III 550 paracord coming for this and other projects so maybe that will make a marked improvement?

I'll take viciously stiff solid core over stranded every time if that I what I should expect.

Your problem is because of the Teflon insulation on the wire. It is stiff and hard, and that's what makes the wire noisy. The insulation on Navships' wire is exacerbated a bit by being thicker than we actually need it (since it's industrial or mil-spec, which is more demanding than audio. Usually...)

Solid core will always be stiffer and harder than stranded. For the most part, pretty much pointless for headphone cable. A headphone cable of solid core 26 AWG could probably hold your headphones up for you on your desk.

I have a cable made of Navships wire that I use for one of my IEMs. It's sleeved in multifilament, which cuts down a lot on the noise. Paracord might be even better. You'll still get a resonant THUNK if you've got your headphones on when you plug the cable into an amp, but the usual noises of the cable hitting the desk, your chest, your shoulders should diminish a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back