DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10,366 of 16,305
Quote:
They only have 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8...no 3/16

I believe 1/8" will stretch to fit, however it will not be a tight weave at all and will show the cable underneath quite a bit.  I can confirm tomorrow when I get to my office.

Redco.com has good prices and more reasonable shipping than Markertek for small orders.  Also, for sleeving find furryletters on ebay.  He has a great selection and at great prices.  

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #10,367 of 16,305
Quote:
My last night project UE TF 10 Solid Core Cable.
I call it Black Crown of Thorns IEM Cables.

This silver wire are home made, its handcrafted by an old man hwo dedicate himself to craft silver.
All the silver are made from finest silver mined in Borneo Island, Indonesia.
Handcrafted from raw silver material in form like stone, then crafted, then become thin wire. All works is do in traditional way.
Just spend IDR 300,000 (about 30 USD) for 7 metre cable.
When quality meet cheap price...

It sounds wonderful, give my UE TF10 extra speed, extra high, - midbass, good depth...

Still need some finishing, don't have much time last night, must go for work in the morning...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nice work. I really like the way you have done the right angled jack. Silver cables can really improve the TF10 sound.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10,368 of 16,305
Quote:
Also, for anyone in the UK with a 'Lidl' nearby I found this on sale tomorrow for £5! You generally have to be pretty quick to get in on Lidl deals though.

Good call on that Julian. Picked one up today, and it seems very good for the price. Good old Lidl! I especially like the LED lighting underneath the magnifing glass. Tip top!

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #10,369 of 16,305
Here goes my first post! I build custom arcade stick for ps3/360 etc and business has been slow. In looking for something else to do I stumbled upon your forum and got the headphone modding bug. I ordered a set of Grado S60I's, some Mahogany cans, DHC wire and other goodies. I finally had some time tonight and decided to make my cable for the Grados:

DHC nucleotide
Maroon paracord sleeving
Viablue plug

BA7E0D7B-62E1-4D60-A590-17A9559FD169-20475-000007C4294B34F6.jpg

Im waiting on some mahogany to make the Y-splitter and rod-blocks before installing the cable.

In real life the paracord is much darker.

Hope you all like!

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #10,370 of 16,305
My first attempt at a Pure Silver solid core LOD:

Came out pretty good IMO, sounds good, but doesnt match with my rig :frowning2:
going to do a SPC one next.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #10,371 of 16,305
Yeah I got one too, really happy with it! Did you get the mini toolkits they had as well?
Quote:
Good call on that Julian. Picked one up today, and it seems very good for the price. Good old Lidl! I especially like the LED lighting underneath the magnifing glass. Tip top!

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #10,372 of 16,305
Quote:
Yeah I got one too, really happy with it! Did you get the mini toolkits they had as well?

No, I got a few tools that come in handy, and anything I dont have my Father in law certainly will. I did get some mushrooms and fish fingers though!

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #10,373 of 16,305
Quote:
Here goes my first post! I build custom arcade stick for ps3/360 etc and business has been slow. In looking for something else to do I stumbled upon your forum and got the headphone modding bug. I ordered a set of Grado S60I's, some Mahogany cans, DHC wire and other goodies. I finally had some time tonight and decided to make my cable for the Grados:
DHC nucleotide
Maroon paracord sleeving
Viablue plug

Im waiting on some mahogany to make the Y-splitter and rod-blocks before installing the cable.
In real life the paracord is much darker.
Hope you all like!

Pictures of said cases? (I build them too)

Nice cable though, I really like the braided paracord look.

I ordered some black, purple, and blue for my next stick's wiring. I'll probably use it to build another shorter cable for my AKG's too.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #10,374 of 16,305
Ha!
"Wireless" listening!
Or Short cable is best cable!

The Amphenol and Neutrik plugs get a proper insertion despite the headphone's jack being recessed a bit, much to my surprise.
Well, the DHC mini being slightly longer than normal should be fine, right?  Nope.
Switchcraft minis can fit but will not stay in place without you holding it yourself.
Edit:spelling

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #10,375 of 16,305
Hey guys...

In regards to the DIY cable, which 3.5mm plug (from Marketek or any other place) would you recommend for the plug that goes in to the headphones? Its not a flush design, it goes a little inside the cup of the headphone. Keep in mind I am almost decided to go with Canare Star Quad cable for this project.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #10,376 of 16,305
I think these are the ones you'll need: Lunashops 'Belkin' 3.5mm Plug. I recently used them for a very similar project and you can do lots of nice things with the finish (e.g. spray paint, brushed metal), I think white sprayed or brushed could look really good here, or just as they are - if you want to remove the logo, it scratches off pretty easily without scratching the metal, as long as you use something which isn't chemically harder than the chrome finish. They're a bit of a pain to solder but not impossible, not sure on the diameter for fitting Star Quad in (which is supposed to be 6mm OD, or 4.8mm for the lower profile stuff) but I think it should fit.

Quote:
Hey guys...

In regards to the DIY cable, which 3.5mm plug (from Marketek or any other place) would you recommend for the plug that goes in to the headphones? Its not a flush design, it goes a little inside the cup of the headphone. Keep in mind I am almost decided to go with Canare Star Quad cable for this project.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #10,377 of 16,305
Hmm... haven't even ordered my first decent headphones yet, but this thread has me wanting to make pretty cables for everything.  Awesome stuff in here.

Some of these cables looks better than professional ones!

RandomKid:  Is there a noticable improvement on the modified silver LOD vs the original FIIO it looks like it was made from?  It definitely looks cooler.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #10,378 of 16,305
Looks better, also more detailed sound but narrower soundstage

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #10,379 of 16,305
Quote:
I think these are the ones you'll need: Lunashops 'Belkin' 3.5mm Plug. I recently used them for a very similar project and you can do lots of nice things with the finish (e.g. spray paint, brushed metal), I think white sprayed or brushed could look really good here, or just as they are - if you want to remove the logo, it scratches off pretty easily without scratching the metal, as long as you use something which isn't chemically harder than the chrome finish. They're a bit of a pain to solder but not impossible, not sure on the diameter for fitting Star Quad in (which is supposed to be 6mm OD, or 4.8mm for the lower profile stuff) but I think it should fit.

This would have been my suggestion, too.  Lunashops takes several weeks to deliver for me so you might try ebay as well for similar plugs.  I tend to get things from Hong Kong much more quickly than China.  The Belkin should come off quite easily using a penny with minimal scratching.  I would definitely go with the mini starquad, especially since you will be adding sleeving.  Don't forget nice heatshrink to tidy things.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #10,380 of 16,305
Tried a quick search and didn't found them outside LS. If I don't find them or something similar from USA I'll just order those and wait. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back