DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #9,572 of 16,305
It is just one over the other.  The problem is that it gets hard to keep track of all the wires.  I kept them in opposite pairs with similar paper clips attached at the ends to determine which wire was which.  I also used a helping hands stand and moved the whole thing up every inch or two.  Binder clips are also a huge help.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #9,574 of 16,305
I finally finished my last complicated interconnects.  From now on I am just using Mogami.  They took me way too long, but here they are:

8 strands of BTG Audio copper wire.
Love the look of those plugs on that copper. Silver may sound better to some, but it can't pull off a lot of plugs like copper can in terms of visual appeal.

For those looking for a tutorial, I'll repost one that was mentioned a few months ago.
http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/8strand1.htm

He also has 3-6 strand braid tutorials there too for people interested. The link is to the 8 braid since it was requested.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #9,578 of 16,305
Quote:
They're looking very nice, I like the wooden look. What was the hardest part of making them? What is the quality of the wire?

The hardest part was definitely figuring out how to do the braid.  I can't tell you how many times I got 3 inches into it and totally lost it.  The wire is 26 AWG OFC copper.

I might grab some of that silver coated wire to wire up my Beta 22 build with...

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #9,581 of 16,305
Quote:
I finally finished my last complicated interconnects.  From now on I am just using Mogami.  They took me way too long, but here they are:

8 strands of BTG Audio copper wire.

hey bro, where did you buy thos "wooden" rca plugs? thanks!

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #9,583 of 16,305
Quote:
It is clear, although it is slightly hard to tell even when you have the wire until you strip it.  It is quite nice for such a reasonable price compared to most which cost more per foot.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was more curious in what the material is, though -- since it's clear I assume it's not the teflon insulator most cheaper SPC wires have.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,584 of 16,305
Quote:
I got the RCA connectors from this site:
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php

I know it looks really sketchy, and the ordering process just seems like it is not legit at all, but this site seems to have a really good reputation and honestly I would be happy to order from them again.  Really reasonable shipping rates from Hong-Kong.

I like how everything is "highly recommended". Thought it would be interesting to have wooden plugs. Then again you could probably ask anyone with a lathe to round some up. Just a thought about keeping it in the US.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #9,585 of 16,305
Yeah, but unfortunately no one I know does any woodwork.  In fact, I am the only one I know who does any form of DIY.

I also find a lot of the sellers comments on items pretty funny.  Like when I bought these RCA connectors it said "Recommended for audiophile only!"  Because wood ALWAYS sounds better.

I also tried to figure out the star rating system, but everything is either 4 or 5 stars depending on the price.  Still not a bad site, just take the recommendations with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back