DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #9,406 of 16,305
Quote:
I only use multimeter to measure if signal goes from one end of the cable to the other.

I use a DIY Test light... I made if from an AA battery holder from Radio Shack with a LED on one lead.  If the LED no light, we gots us no signal.

Woot!  Justed found out that Toxic Cables is offering the 26AWG wire now... ordered up 20' of the Trans Black to try out for my CIEMS...  I'm going to give this a try, then probably try the straight silver one later.  I'll let you guys know how soft this is (as the 24AWG one was soft, this is supposed to be softer).  He has some in other flavors... if anyone wants to give those a try and let us see what you come up with (interested in the Trans Blue...maybe for the TF10).

May 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #9,408 of 16,305
Recabled my Beyer DT770 because right speaker fell out sometimes. 
I've used wire from leftovers alarm cable. Sounds pretty good ^^
Girlfriend braided it using the chimera labs tutorial.I've tried but gave up after an hour messing around -_-

May 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #9,410 of 16,305
Quote:

Yup - and to make sure you don't have any shorts (also helpful if you forget your color codes - or are using single color wire - to tell which wire goes where) - or if you are repairing someone else's work, and need to figure out what is what. Given that you can get a basic multi-meter with alligator clip leads (handier than just probe points) for around $10, I see no reason to not have one around. 

So it is only to differentiate the wires ? So if I do recable... I just need to solder all the wire in the right place will do ? nothing else ? what if one part solder too much and another solder too little? will affect the sound quality?

May 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #9,411 of 16,305
Quote:
So it is only to differentiate the wires ? So if I do recable... I just need to solder all the wire in the right place will do ? nothing else ? what if one part solder too much and another solder too little? will affect the sound quality?

As long as the solder is not a cold solder joint, and makes a good connection, the amount of solder should not have an audible effect. 

It's good to keep it somewhat neat though, since that will help prevent possible short circuits. 

May 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #9,412 of 16,305
Recabled my Beyer DT770 because right speaker fell out sometimes. 
I've used wire from leftovers alarm cable. Sounds pretty good ^^
Girlfriend braided it using the chimera labs tutorial.I've tried but gave up after an hour messing around -_-
Is that the flat braid tutorial? I made some ICs using that I think. The round braid here is my new favorite 4 wire braid. I like that braid you used, but it's harder to get it to look good, so I see where you're coming from.

After doing both I'd recommend a round braid on anything you'll be moving around, mine was more flexible on the round but I didn't mind doing flat IC braids.

Once you get past 4 wire, flat braids get interesting though. I love how a 6 wire flat braid looks on a cable.

May 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #9,413 of 16,305
Quote:
Is that the flat braid tutorial? I made some ICs using that I think. The round braid here is my new favorite 4 wire braid. I like that braid you used, but it's harder to get it to look good, so I see where you're coming from.
After doing both I'd recommend a round braid on anything you'll be moving around, mine was more flexible on the round but I didn't mind doing flat IC braids.
Once you get past 4 wire, flat braids get interesting though. I love how a 6 wire flat braid looks on a cable.

Yes, it is the flat braid tutorial. It's good enough for now ^^. Thanks for the link, gonna do my girlfriends koss next time because she hates the heavy curled cable. This time round.

May 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #9,415 of 16,305
Even though the braid doesn't look as tight as it should you still did an amazing job meme. I would buy it off you in a heart beat if I needed it.

May 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #9,416 of 16,305
Quote:
Even though the braid doesn't look as tight as it should you still did an amazing job meme. I would buy it off you in a heart beat if I needed it.

Agreed, still looks good.  I've tried a 3 and 4 wire braid and they all seem to show gaps in them when you route them to where you need.  The only way I've found them to pretty much stay in a nice tight braid (tight looking, but still a loose braid) was to increase the amount of wires (to 6 or 8).  It costs more, but aesthetically looks great!

May 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #9,417 of 16,305
Quote:
Agreed, still looks good.  I've tried a 3 and 4 wire braid and they all seem to show gaps in them when you route them to where you need.  The only way I've found them to pretty much stay in a nice tight braid (tight looking, but still a loose braid) was to increase the amount of wires (to 6 or 8).  It costs more, but aesthetically looks great!

It does looks great! Some really fascinating work guys

May 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #9,418 of 16,305

Thanks for the kind words .Sup!

Quote:

Cheers! very nice work indeed. I was doing alright until I fitted the jack plug then it all fell apart.

May 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9,419 of 16,305
Quote:

Cheers! very nice work indeed. I was doing alright until I fitted the jack plug then it all fell apart.

Use PTFE tape. It could save your life....

I bought 10 rolls. I use it for every single cable I make to keep the wires together but allow me to slip barrels and heatshrink over the unterminated ends. Then once thats all through, I just take it off without leaving a residue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back