DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #9,331 of 16,305
Quote:
I meant the pins or the part the plastic piece? Did you find a solution? I ordered the same ones and noticed they were a bit loose but thought it was the plastic part that goes into the recessed part. I might need to tell Chris_Himself to hold off for new plugs. I also don't wanna stretch out the plugs on mine so i cant use the stock.

I would think chris_himself, someone who makes IEM cables for a living would have a steady supply of the correct pins so i doubt there is any need to contact him regarding this.

May 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #9,332 of 16,305
He doesn't/can't do Recessed ports. I had to order those pins so he could.
Quote:
I would think chris_himself, someone who makes IEM cables for a living would have a steady supply of the correct pins so i doubt there is any need to contact him regarding this.

May 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #9,334 of 16,305
Quote:
Anyone use this wire before?  Looks like it might be good for IEMS...

Great find! I'm tempted to buy it, but the fact that it's 1 meter long (3.3 feet), not counting the braiding, might take away the fun. I guess I can always just solder 2 pieces at the Y-split. And it should work great for interconnects and LODs. I'm not a big believer in silver having an advantage over a big diameter decent purity copper, but for 5$ it won't hurt.

May 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #9,335 of 16,305
Finished my first USB cable.  Unfortunately I did the heat-shrink with cable bent the wrong way, so next time I will hopefully get this right with this cable as a reference, but this is the way the wires wanted to go.  This worked much better with the cable bending in the other direction but that was not convenient in my setup.  Contruction is 26AWG OCC copper D+ and D- parallel pair with mylar/aluminium shielding, and a ground conductor terminated longer to sit away from the signal wires.  perhaps ground wrapped around the shielded signal pair could also work and would look nicer, but this seems to work anyhow.  I am convinced that short USB cable is the way to go, at least with the HiFace (I have JKSPDIF mk3), there is just no comparison with any longer cables regardless of price.

May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #9,336 of 16,305
Can you just heat up the shrink again, and bend it the direction you want while it cools?

May 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #9,337 of 16,305
^ I did this in the end but and it worked, but the heatshrink wrinkled up a bit from being stretched then compressed.  Thanks for the tip.

May 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #9,338 of 16,305
Hello, all DIYers. I'm about to do my first mod. Recabling my AKG k518 LE, and i wonder what cable i should go with(ebay, or similar). I would like a cable that's a bit thicker and tougher than the original. And i will sleeve it also, but have already found that.

Gotta go now, so thanks in advance

Edit:
Now I have some more time: 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280724024682#ht_2400wt_1213 this cable I noticed was recommended in another thread. But it only ships in the uk(I'm in Sweden) and I can't seem to find it in any other place. 

May 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #9,339 of 16,305
Quote:
^ I did this in the end but and it worked, but the heatshrink wrinkled up a bit from being stretched then compressed.  Thanks for the tip.

How did you heat it up?  Lighter? Heat Gun?

May 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #9,340 of 16,305
Quote:
Hello, all DIYers. I'm about to do my first mod. Recabling my AKG k518 LE, and i wonder what cable i should go with(ebay, or similar). I would like a cable that's a bit thicker and tougher than the original. And i will sleeve it also, but have already found that.

Gotta go now, so thanks in advance

Edit:
Now I have some more time: 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280724024682#ht_2400wt_1213 this cable I noticed was recommended in another thread. But it only ships in the uk(I'm in Sweden) and I can't seem to find it in any other place. 

I think that the canare L-4E6S or little thinner L-4E5C will be grat for you. It's no problem to get it from ebay.

May 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #9,341 of 16,305
Quote:
I think that the canare L-4E6S or little thinner L-4E5C will be grat for you. It's no problem to get it from ebay.

Thanks, mailed the seller and shipping was not a problem so which one do you think is better? The van damme is cheaper and since it's for the k518 which is a 60$ headphone, I don't wanna spend to much money. Or are there other alternatives than mic cables?

Is this 2 cores + ground? http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/L-2B2ATGY-200M.xhtml  I'm considering a thinner cable and if the shippning costs are low that site has pretty good prices (forget that, not shipping outside of us for less than 100 $)

May 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #9,342 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks, mailed the seller and shipping was not a problem so which one do you think is better? The van damme is cheaper and since it's for the k518 which is a 60$ headphone, I don't wanna spend to much money. Or are there other alternatives than mic cables?

Is this 2 cores + ground? http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/L-2B2ATGY-200M.xhtml  I'm considering a thinner cable and if the shippning costs are low that site has pretty good prices (forget that, not shipping outside of us for less than 100 $)

That cable is only 2 wires and no ground (unless you would use the foil wrap and NO!)  I'm with slaweus 4e5c cable.  Its nice, durable, well protected and is decent to work with...cheap enough too from markertek.  comes in a few groovy colors too

May 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #9,343 of 16,305
Quote:
That cable is only 2 wires and no ground (unless you would use the foil wrap and NO!)  I'm with slaweus 4e5c cable.  Its nice, durable, well protected and is decent to work with...cheap enough too from markertek.  comes in a few groovy colors too

Thank you, I will look for a place that ships to Sweden then.

May 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #9,344 of 16,305
Quote:
Link: http://jaben.net/shopping2/Crystal-cable-for-custome-IEMs-powered-by-Crystal-Piccolino.html
EDIT: Sorry, I added the link without looking. Apparently they are sold out. I think they really are out of production. Check the Classified section.

There is a Piccolino ipod LOD in the F/S section that goes for $200. And no Jaben just has them out of stock, but it is not out of production, well not until Gaby stops production that is. Unfortunately I bought the last 5ft of Piccolino that was in the classified section, so the OP's luck is either buy that LOD or wait one of the other members or myself to sell the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back