DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #9,107 of 16,305

Quote:
Assuming you have IEMs with Westone/JH Audio-compatible sockets, there are a couple Chinese vendors selling plugs. Try Lunashops or tygamehk09 on Ebay. At US $8-12 a pair, they're pretty expensive for a fairly cheaply made piece of plastic mould with two pieces of metal stuck through it, but I haven't found a better alternative for pre-made plugs yet.

Some people have had success with building their own plugs from scratch. The main problem is finding pins that fit your IEM's socket reliably within tolerance, because if they're too large, they can irreversably stretch the contacts inside the sockets. For some, pins scavenged from VGA plugs work, others say they don't fit. I haven't tried this but I intend to.

Thanks Ardgedee, tygamehk09 seems to have a selection of pins / plugs and even an empty E5C shell (although for a rather high price. Yeah, I guess many expensive phones are made up of relatively cheap components. given my limited quality time I'll give it a try to buy some premade components rather than attempting to manufacturing something myself. (I wish I had that 3D printer ...)   

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #9,108 of 16,305
Neotech stranded copper wire is pretty good also -you can get 24 AWG stranded copper in cotton jacket for dirt cheap, and its still OCC copper, just maybe different wire braiding.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #9,109 of 16,305

Quote:
Neotech stranded copper wire is pretty good also -you can get 24 AWG stranded copper in cotton jacket for dirt cheap, and its still OCC copper, just maybe different wire braiding.

You have a link to that (wonder what price per 1ft is).

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #9,110 of 16,305
Hi guys...just wondering if someone would be willing to make me a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector, will be for portable use with amp and DAP so dont need to be long (or have sleeving (try and keep cost down), I honestly cant justify HUGE price tags, but for a little more quality I dont mind paying a little extra...dont know what the best materials are so I´ll leave this to you guys 
biggrin.gif

WayTooCrazy is hopefully gonna make me a LOD so just ofter a 3.5mm connector now :p

Sorry if this post annoys you, I will be making a WTB thread now! Also I came across this http://www.bluecowcables.com/product.php?id_product=29 Anyone know if the quality is good? (Im in the Uk so its quite cheap) Also out of all the connectors listed there what one would be best?

Thanks allot, BTW allot of the cable here look very nice! I wish I had the expertise and equipment to have a bash at one! 

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #9,112 of 16,305
So, anywhere I can get something that looks like that Toxic Cables wire above, but in something from 12 to 18 AWG rather than 24? I'm not having much luck finding heavier wire that's in a clear jacket that isn't just cheap paired speaker wire. I'd prefer to run 12/3 or 18/6 in a braid, but I'm not all that picky as long as I can get it up to carrying well over anything I'd put through it.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #9,113 of 16,305

Quote:
So, anywhere I can get something that looks like that Toxic Cables wire above, but in something from 12 to 18 AWG rather than 24? I'm not having much luck finding heavier wire that's in a clear jacket that isn't just cheap paired speaker wire. I'd prefer to run 12/3 or 18/6 in a braid, but I'm not all that picky as long as I can get it up to carrying well over anything I'd put through it.

You two should meet =) Neotech sells 20, 18 and 26 AWG OCC copper wire. Most of it is single core, so take that into consideration.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #9,115 of 16,305
You two should meet =) Neotech sells 20, 18 and 26 AWG OCC copper wire. Most of it is single core, so take that into consideration.

I can't do solid core if I'm going anywhere near the size I want, that cable would be more trouble to use than to make. Is there any dealer of their wire anyway? All I see is the one dealer in California and I'd really rather not buy from a lone store I've never heard of if it's not local.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #9,116 of 16,305

Quote:

http://www.jenalabs.com/ultrawire/ultrawire.html

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #9,117 of 16,305
Thanks. More than I was hoping to be paying for it, but this is definitely a move in the right direction. I'm more worried about the appearance than the absolute best copper I can find right now. My gear doesn't justify power cables like this, they'll be worth more than the amp really quickly if I'm not careful.

I'll probably have to check back up on that later if I can put this build off a little while longer. I do plan to do some ICs pretty soon too though, so pushing this project back a little longer while I either look harder or save up more isn't too much trouble.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #9,118 of 16,305
On the cheap, search for Automotive hookup wire, for heavier gauge clear insulated stranded copper. 

Sometimes you can get lucky with test lead wire too, but usually that comes in every color except clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back