DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #9,047 of 16,305

Quote:
i know. been thinking of trying them out, shipping is super slow though. i ordered a bunch of bananas for my receiver from lunashops and they work a treat. paillics are also a favorite, but i'd prefer to have a smaller dia near the trs. its hard finding plugs that fit my 4s Case and look good doing so.​

I think you will find that the newer Oyaide will fit that case very well and look good.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #9,048 of 16,305

Quote:
I think it depends on your aesthetic requirements / tastes. I like the shrink tube look and have used black tube over a r/a Oyaide body a couple of times. Not to everyones tastes, but it suits me.

Here's an example of what it can look like in case anyone is wondering:

Quote:
I also made a little TWag V2 Eclipse mini-to-mini to connect my HiFiMAN HM-801 to the EF-6's auxiliary input.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #9,050 of 16,305
25 or more for 1 jack? No way. Hopefully I will come across a more affordable solution. Perhaps using the cut-off AKG plugs that came attached to my K518DJ cord, and putting heat shrink over it, or something. 

Tried braiding the wires I received today (small portion of it). Pretty happy with the end result, but again I wish it was more flexible.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9,051 of 16,305

Quote:
25 or more for 1 jack? No way. Hopefully I will come across a more affordable solution. Perhaps using the cut-off AKG plugs that came attached to my K518DJ cord, and putting heat shrink over it, or something. 

Tried braiding the wires I received today (small portion of it). Pretty happy with the end result, but again I wish it was more flexible.

if you braid a little more loose, then your cable will have more flex. the loose braid also helps keep microphonics in check.

Anyone know what solder Frank sent me? its thicker than my cardas quad... mini XLR for DT770 80ohm removable cable 

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #9,053 of 16,305

Quote:

if you braid a little more loose, then your cable will have more flex. the loose braid also helps keep microphonics in check.

Anyone know what solder Frank sent me? its thicker than my cardas quad... mini XLR for DT770 80ohm removable cable 

The solder that comes with the OCC Copper and SPC is lead free 4% Silver solder from Maplin here in the UK.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9,057 of 16,305
Well, I was searching for an alternative to that awesome OCC Toxic Cables... and I have yet to come across anything... so I'll be getting ready to make another purchase soon, but I'd like to do Silver this time for the Heir 4.A that I have on the way.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #9,058 of 16,305
There was a discussion earlier regarding the authenticity of a website named Hifidew, selling Oyaide TRS plugs.

I placed an order with them recently, and just received the package. The Oyaide plug seems very sturdy and of high quality. It is stylistically nearly identical to its 1/8" counterpart, except you can read "OYAIDE - MADE IN JAPAN" engraved across the circumference of the barrel, and the plastic isolating the three parts of the connector is white-gray. Inside, the soldering spots are placed differently than in the mini plugs, and far from eachother, which is a big plus. After a bit of research, I found out that the plating was nickel, and not rhodium like the mini plugs (which is a bit normal, considering that it costs even less than the 1/8" plugs). The plug doesn't have strain relief.

The website is also a good place to get some Viablue TRS and mini TRS, which an also be hard to find.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #9,059 of 16,305
Yup, I picked up 2 ViaBlues to see if the website was legit or not.  They did forget to include a setscrew, but they made good on that too.

Quote:

The website is also a good place to get some Viablue TRS and mini TRS, which an also be hard to find.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #9,060 of 16,305
This is probably too basic level a question to ask, but how to braid two strands of cable together?

I am looking to create a four conductor cable (1R, 1L, 2C) ending in one stereo 3.5mm plug and two 2.5mm mono plugs on the other hand.  While it is all fine and dandy for the four conductor sector in terms of braiding the cables and having them stay in place, I am having trouble braiding the two conductor end of the cable and not having it unravel.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back