DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #8,671 of 16,305

Quote:
Working on my first ever DIY cable and it's a pretty big one - a 6' 'Toxic Cables' Stranded Copper/Viablue 1/4" recable for my modded Denon AH-D2000s - pictures to come. I must add that Frank at Toxic Cables was superb for me as well - very generous with heatshrink and solder (for someone who's a complete newbie) and always quick to return emails with helpful responses. Not to mention the product is great too!

Its looking mighty fine! Excellent even braid - really good work! You should post some in progress pics man.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #8,672 of 16,305
Thanks mate, you deserve some credit on here for all the help you've given me as well, so thank you. Here are the pics then at the halfway stage, I can't progress until I get some 7mm black heatshrink to put over the 2 layers at the jack, just to fill out the strain relief a bit more and to have a nice neat taper on the wire. Heatshrink's on its way from ebay at the moment. The old Denon cable will become an extension for the rare occasions I need it, just ordered one of these for that.

Quote:
Its looking mighty fine! Excellent even braid - really good work! You should post some in progress pics man.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8,674 of 16,305
Damn.

So close.

The LunaShops "Belkin" plug.  Or you can get one that says "Sennheiser" on it instead.
lol

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #8,676 of 16,305
Easy to tin, at least.  The lack of a strain-relief clamp is uncool.  And so, my Turbine Pro Coppers live again!  The stock plug is built like a tank, but the strain relief crapped out on me and the left started cutting out for a split second now and then.  I would get small shocks, probably from the ground wires cutting out as well.  With the new plug, I have improvised by making a small loop with the cable inside of the plug.  It doesn't feel as sturdy as a Switchcraft or the stock plug.  Hopefully, it will last.  It is certainly better quality than some other cheap Chinese plugs I've tried.

The cable is so happy, it tried to reach for the sky.  Mkay...

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #8,677 of 16,305
Cable to go between my Bottlehead Crack and modded T amp.  Makes an awesome preamp.
Made from some extra Kimber speaker wire ans Switcraft connectors.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #8,678 of 16,305
My first DIY cables :) Out of love for the green Qs !!! LOL

[size=small]22 AWG Shielded Silver Kapton Teflon Wire 2 Twisted[/size]

[size=small]Neutrik miniXLR and 1/4 Plug[/size]

[size=small]2 ground and 1 per each channel[/size]

[size=x-small]Q701 in the picture[/size]

[size=small]22 AWG Shielded Silver Kapton Teflon Wire 2 Twisted[/size]

[size=small]Neutrik RCAs[/size]

[size=small]2 ground 2 per each chanel[/size]

[size=small] [/size]

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #8,679 of 16,305
Anyone make cables for IEMS?  Did you do "memory Wire"?  If so, what wire did you use, and how did you do it?  (send me PM if too off topic).  I'm building some cables for my TF10 out of "Toxic Cables" UP-OCC Copper Wire.  I was thinking of using some silicone tubing from either RC Car Nitro fuel tubing or some type of medical grade silicone tubing and maybe some mechanic wire or something.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #8,680 of 16,305

Quote:
Good God that must be stiff!

Yeah a little bit ... but I can definitely hear the difference. It was my first cable so I just wanted to try something different from what everyone else does :) LOL
The RCA cable is not that big of a deal but it improved on SQ from my DAC to the AMP. When it comes to the Qs yeah it is a bit weird but it's long enough and my point was not to have any wires laying on the floor so I don't roll over them with my chair. PROBLEM FIXED !!! Now it's hanging in the air. This is definitely a good cable if you are looking for "memory wire."  

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #8,681 of 16,305

Quote:
Anyone make cables for IEMS?  Did you do "memory Wire"?  If so, what wire did you use, and how did you do it?  (send me PM if too off topic).  I'm building some cables for my TF10 out of "Toxic Cables" UP-OCC Copper Wire.  I was thinking of using some silicone tubing from either RC Car Nitro fuel tubing or some type of medical grade silicone tubing and maybe some mechanic wire or something.

Didnt use memory wire, but I did make 'moulded' ear loops using a former and clear tube shrink.

Here is the former - I drew around the inside curve of a Vsonic ear guide on a piece of MDF and banged a load of tacks into it:

I then wrapped the cable around this bit with the clear shrink tube in place and banged tacks in on the other side to hold the whole lot into possition. Hit it with the heat gun to shrink the tube and leave it on the former for about 20 - 30 minutes untill its well cooled down.

It worked out pretty well IMO.

Not that that easy to see in these photos, but so far its held its shape really well. When it starts to loose shape ill just reheat it on the former.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8,682 of 16,305
Very neat!  What did you use for your Chin Strap (Slider)?  Just a piece of un-shrunk tubing?

Quote:
Didnt use memory wire, but I did make 'moulded' ear loops using a former and clear tube shrink.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #8,683 of 16,305
From my experience... I'm against memory wire.
It makes cable stiff at the very end causing earphone to loose isolation when you move around. Bare wire is much more comfortable and can move freely. With cable of size 26-24AWG each wire you can be sure that it wont fall from your ear and will stay in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back