DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #8,521 of 16,305
Maybe this is not the right thread, and if so someone please link the right thread, but I'm giving it a go.

I'm having problems with the heavy stock LCD-2 cable causing extra discomfort to this already severely heavy headphone.
I'm looking for someone who could make a cable around 1.8meter that is very thin, very light weight and flexible.
I'm not a believer in "audiophile" cables so there doesn't have to be some super cryogenic 99.9999999% pure copper snake oil cable. Just standard good quality copper with no microphonics will do. I could also think of doing this myself, but I have NO clue how to go about finding all the things needed. If someone could send me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #8,522 of 16,305
http://www.q-audio.com/
PM Steve Eddy

Quote:
Maybe this is not the right thread, and if so someone please link the right thread, but I'm giving it a go.

I'm having problems with the heavy stock LCD-2 cable causing extra discomfort to this already severely heavy headphone.
I'm looking for someone who could make a cable around 1.8meter that is very thin, very light weight and flexible.
I'm not a believer in "audiophile" cables so there doesn't have to be some super cryogenic 99.9999999% pure copper snake oil cable. Just standard good quality copper with no microphonics will do. I could also think of doing this myself, but I have NO clue how to go about finding all the things needed. If someone could send me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #8,523 of 16,305
Thanks for the link, and I'm sure his cable are very good for what I'm after, but I'm not looking to spend that much on cables I don't believe change the sound very much (if at all) in the first place. I really would like to to do this DIY on head-fi. Maybe some DIY person here could do my cable in exchange for one of my headphones
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #8,524 of 16,305
markertek is a good source for cable building materials. Mogami 2893 or 2534 quad microphone wire (4 conductors inside) is lightweight, easy to work with, , high quality copper, and cost about $1 per foot. Choose your own connectors (I like Neutrik and Switchcraft). Additional sheathing only if you want it. Couldn't be easier. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #8,526 of 16,305
No, not at all.  I would recommend avoiding silver, in fact.  You want stranded copper.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8,527 of 16,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd say though that silver/ silver plated jack would not tranish (unless exposed to H2S deliberately), because pluging in and out would have polishing effect. But that's just my blind guess

Can't really avoid hydrogen sulfide in our industrial age. And of course it also occurs naturally. Always a good idea to keep your contact clean. Even though gold doesn't oxidize, it can still develop a film of gunk over time.

se

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #8,529 of 16,305

Quote:
I'm looking for something thin like this:

Do I have to go silver in order to do so?

Looks like DHC wire - http://www.doublehelixcables.com/
You don't have to go silver especially if you don't want to spend much. Good soft braided silver wire is pretty expensive

Quote:
No, not at all.  I would recommend avoiding silver, in fact.  You want stranded copper.

why so? I mean typical solid silver cores yes but how about braided silver?

Quote:
Can't really avoid hydrogen sulfide in our industrial age. And of course it also occurs naturally. Always a good idea to keep your contact clean. Even though gold doesn't oxidize, it can still develop a film of gunk over time.

se

Yep, of course and in some cheap crappy earphones gold plating can simply come off. I've never had any problems with Neutrik/Rean or Pailiccs plugs though

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #8,531 of 16,305
Hi all here, sorry I am new to this cable stuff but I would like to learn on how to build a nice good quality 3.5mm to 2 RCA's. doesnt have to be anything over the top or too fancy but nice would be good.  I will be plugging the 2 RCA into the back of my tube headphone amp and the 3.5mm either in one of my MP3 players, a sSony MZ-1 or a Sony Discman.

I live in Perth Australia 

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #8,532 of 16,305
Quote:
Looks like DHC wire - http://www.doublehelixcables.com/
You don't have to go silver especially if you don't want to spend much. Good soft braided silver wire is pretty expensive

why so? I mean typical solid silver cores yes but how about braided silver?

The guy wants something lighter and more fexible.  Solid core, even when braided, will never be as flexible as stranded copper.  Or as durable unless it is silver plating on copper (a la navships spc).

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #8,533 of 16,305
This was from a group buy Slern staged.

Clear:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250997265724#ht_500wt_1092

Black:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250997270041?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1092'

Buy up so we can get our wire ASAP. 30ft of black needed to be purchased.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #8,535 of 16,305
Recabled my K518LE's. Don't mind the fact that there's no plastic trim and that the color's all weird. It was a dyeing attempt gone wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back