DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #7,877 of 16,305
Well as long as he's happy with it. I would be a bit miffed if something I paid good money for oxidized that quickly. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #7,878 of 16,305

Quote:
The formation of copper carbonate is an oxidation process. (Copper + Oxygen + Carbon) usually formed with a combination of moisture (ambient or direct) and oxygen (atmospheric usually).

2 Cu (s) + H2O (g) + CO2 + O2 → Cu(OH)2 + CuCO3 (s) 

if you want to be specific. 

I've actually only seen cables turn black so far. What would be a good source of sufficient carbon dioxide to generate copper carbonate?  Certainly not the air unless carbon dioxide happens to be in great concentration near the cable for x reason, I think.

Quote:
Well as long as he's happy with it. I would be a bit miffed if something I paid good money for oxidized that quickly. 

Me, too.  Well-made cables should last many years before they oxidize noticeably, no?

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7,879 of 16,305

Quote:
One of my friend, his Cryo Copper interconnect while thing becomes green, he said it's oxidation, he said it's better, but I didn't get the chance to try.

Oxidation adds resistance (not crazy amounts mind you) and can have an effect on the skin effect of signals (at audio frequencies the effect should be very minimal).  If the oxidation was extreme, and the gauge of the individual strands was rather small, then oxidation may have some impact, but as things stand, he's probably just gotten used to the cables, so the sound has become "normal" to him, and in his mind, better than when they were new.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7,880 of 16,305

Quote:
Oxidation adds resistance (not crazy amounts mind you) and can have an effect on the skin effect of signals (at audio frequencies the effect should be very minimal).  If the oxidation was extreme, and the gauge of the individual strands was rather small, then oxidation may have some impact, but as things stand, he's probably just gotten used to the cables, so the sound has become "normal" to him, and in his mind, better than when they were new.

Thanks for the info. But the next time I met him, I'll compare between a oxidized cryo and a non oxidized cryo.

Btw, here's my favorite cable,

It's my third attempt of making mixed interconnect. This one is a mixed of copper and SPC, it gives the symbals a great "tings" and the bass is tight.
Gonna let go to a buyer today. :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #7,881 of 16,305

Quote:

I've actually only seen cables turn black so far. What would be a good source of sufficient carbon dioxide to generate copper carbonate?  Certainly not the air unless carbon dioxide happens to be in great concentration near the cable for x reason, I think.

Me, too.  Well-made cables should last many years before they oxidize noticeably, no?

I'm sure in a household environment the concentration of carbon dioxide and sulfur are much higher than in the "natural" environment. Furnaces come to mind.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #7,882 of 16,305
But is that high enough?

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #7,884 of 16,305

Quote:
But is that high enough?

Probably... it's not like you need high concentrations. Even trace amounts will preferentially react, and given enough time (months, years, etc) will lower the resale value of all the precious shinies. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #7,887 of 16,305
Noob here.. can i ask for some advice? My headphone cables currently look like this:

They are not long enough to my liking, and the fact that the 3.5mm tip has 4 "connectors" and the 2.5mm ends have 3 "connecters" makes it hard to find replacements. 

My questions are:

1. Where do you guys buy your DIY plugs in both 3.5 and 2.5 from? I don't need anything super fancy.. just metallic ones will be fine.
2. Do i NEED to do quad cables? can i get away with just doing a typical 3.5mm stereo setup? 
3. What about the splitter in the middle. Do people sell a splitter type? or do you just splice and solder and wrap it up?

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #7,888 of 16,305
In the U.S. Markertek (among others) sells 3.5mm TRRS as well as 2.5mm TRS connectors. 

Whether you need to use the same configuration depends a bit on the phones and your application for them. Typically we see TRRS used where there are also microphones or other things going on - in which case, to preserve functionality, yes - you need them. 

Have you considered just making a TRRS extension cable to get  the length you want? 

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #7,889 of 16,305

Quote:
In the U.S. Markertek (among others) sells 3.5mm TRRS as well as 2.5mm TRS connectors. 

Whether you need to use the same configuration depends a bit on the phones and your application for them. Typically we see TRRS used where there are also microphones or other things going on - in which case, to preserve functionality, yes - you need them. 

Have you considered just making a TRRS extension cable to get  the length you want? 

I haven't been able to find any, or i don't know where to look to find one. So i figured i might as well just make my own. Any yes my current cables have iOS volume controls in the middle of them. I figured i don't really need that feature if i made my own cable.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7,890 of 16,305

Quote:
Thanks ! Forgot to say I replaced the red plastic rings with copper gaskets.
While listening, I can clearly hear any rubbing on clothes and I'm usually not very sensitive to microphonics, that's why I ordered some Mogami 2893 cable in red.

nice idea
dt880smile.png
do you happen to know what size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back