DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #7,696 of 16,305

Quote:

30m of 24awg 40-strand copper in silicone that I've cut to length for four headphones. Also pictured are one 4-pin Neutrik male XLR and Switchcraft male and female 4-pin mini-XLR.  These were supposed to become cables over the weekend, but stuff happens.  Like whiskey and dancing.  Maybe if the kids take it easy on me today it'll get done.

EDIT: Might as well add that there are easily a dozen decent places to get silicone wire.  Hobby shops/sites should have plenty for for pretty cheap.  Hopefully this is enough information for those of you who need help finding it.

Where did you buy your 4-pin mini-XLRs? 

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #7,698 of 16,305
Quote:
Where did you buy your 4-pin mini-XLRs?  

Markertek.  I was shopping around, almost bought Redco or else the unbranded ones off eBay, but in the end I went with Switchcraft because I had a decent shopping cart put together at Markertek and decided to not go through a different vendor to get the TA4F.

They were probably more expensive.  I think I saved money elsewhere in the transaction though.  Hard to remember; it may have been the opposite, but seeing as these were the only name brand TA4F and TA4ML, it's likely I paid more for them than I would have on eBay.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #7,699 of 16,305

Bored yesterday so.... this.
Two oxygen free subwoofer cables and a ground cable from a power outlet extension cable + a crap load of solder and some spliced cable ends. Oh ya and a mountain of radioshack electrical tape.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #7,701 of 16,305
That electrical tape will eventually slip off.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #7,704 of 16,305
Would anyone be interested in building me a light 1/8" TRS male to two 3/32" TS female?  I put the jacks in my Phiaton MS400s, and I fail at cable making REALLY bad.  Right now I've got two halfway done cables connected to a splitter...

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #7,705 of 16,305
Br777, can you do me a favor and post a picture or two of your LCD-2 cable where it goes from the 4 wire braid down to the two individual channels? I am interested in making a similar cable using silicon wire and a 4 wire litz braid, but I am not sure how to handle the split area. I couldn't see it represented well in any of the pictures you posted. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #7,706 of 16,305

Quote:
Br777, can you do me a favor and post a picture or two of your LCD-2 cable where it goes from the 4 wire braid down to the two individual channels? I am interested in making a similar cable using silicon wire and a 4 wire litz braid, but I am not sure how to handle the split area. I couldn't see it represented well in any of the pictures you posted. Thanks!

explaination coming later.. gotta run...

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #7,708 of 16,305

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture. My main issue was I am worried about that holding its shape and not moving around too much. I have been considering a nice wood block to hold it in place, Norse style.

I am also worried about the size/weight of the cable. I want to this to replace the stock cable on a pair of Fostex T50RPs and although they are no lightweights, I also don't think they are as heavy as the LCD-2's.

I guess it is time to start practicing my Litz braiding skills on some of the paracord I have lying around.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #7,709 of 16,305

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture. My main issue was I am worried about that holding its shape and not moving around too much. I have been considering a nice wood block to hold it in place, Norse style.

I am also worried about the size/weight of the cable. I want to this to replace the stock cable on a pair of Fostex T50RPs and although they are no lightweights, I also don't think they are as heavy as the LCD-2's.

I guess it is time to start practicing my Litz braiding skills on some of the paracord I have lying around.

the braid, along with the twisting of the wires makes it so nothing can come undone or seperate.  even if it gets pulled on, it only pulls itself together, not apart. definitely not necessary to use something to hold it in place.  i actually planned to use a wood ball myself, but when i realized it would only add unnecessary bulk and serve no purpose other than looks, and that i actually liked the look with nothing on it, i opted to just leave it as pictured.

as far as using silicone wire with cotton or nylon sleeving - i dont believe you will find a lighter, more flexible way to make a cable.  the stock lcd-2 cable is a monster compared to this one.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #7,710 of 16,305

Quote:

not much to explain really - do the braid and when you come to the split, just seperate out the appropriate wires and you will find that the braid will naturally split in to directions in a way that it holds itself together, rather than coming unraveled.

then with each pair you just wrap 1 wire around the other so that they stay twisted together.  If you actually try to "twist" them together you will find that as soon as you let go they will unravel.  if you wrap them around each other, they will stay that way.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back