DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7,381 of 16,305

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

If you want to make a cable with a length of about 500m then you are right :). The resistance of the cable should be very very small..Maybe this would be a rule of thumb :)

Thanks again. I've just been reading over the past couple of pages and people tend to chose a cable that is rated with the same resistance as their headsets, but if it doesn't matter then great :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #7,382 of 16,305
Nah, since the connectors are not bnc's, and at such a short distance, the impedance of the cable won't make a difference, go crazy with the picolino!

Your xlr cables should be male to female.  Do you have a picture of the back of the amp, or a model number?  

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #7,383 of 16,305

Quote:
Thanks again. I've just been reading over the past couple of pages and people tend to chose a cable that is rated with the same resistance as their headsets, but if it doesn't matter then great :)

Where did you read that?

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #7,384 of 16,305

Quote:
Cool, I already made a RCA cable so will check if that works after I get my i20 in the morning and if it does il make another with my own wire.
The amp is the Audio GD Pheonix, if you google pictures for that you will find loads of the back and thanks for all the help.
Just finally need to know about this XLR then I should be good to go.

Yep, just male to female.  That's a crazy looking amp!

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #7,385 of 16,305

Quote:
Where did you read that?

I must have misread it.

I just received the VD Tour grade microphone cable. Whilst it's construction is fantastic the colour coding is only 2 white and 2 blue. Unlike the Belden which is white with blue stripes; white; blue and blue with white stripes. This is a real shame as the cable is excellent but would be difficult to work with without better colour coding.

Also it is not clearly silver plated as advertised but contains 7 strands of silver included with the copper. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #7,386 of 16,305
The easiest would be to take one white one blue for left and one white one blue for right..

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7,388 of 16,305
using a multimeter will solve this problem, just check your connections right before soldering, that way you can't go wrong

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7,389 of 16,305
All things being equal which wire is better for a LOD - silver or copper and if I was to mix would it be silver for the signal (L & R) and copper for the ground or the other way around?

Cheers

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #7,390 of 16,305
Stranded copper, in my opinion.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #7,391 of 16,305

Quote:
using a multimeter will solve this problem, just check your connections right before soldering, that way you can't go wrong

How would you do this using a multimeter? Thanks

Quote:
The easiest would be to take one white one blue for left and one white one blue for right..

Sorry I don't understand how that will work. 

White - Right +ve
White - Left -ve
Blue - Left +ve
Blue - Left +ve

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #7,392 of 16,305

Quote:

How would you do this using a multimeter? Thanks

Quote:

Sorry I don't understand how that will work. 

White - Right +ve
White - Left -ve
Blue - Left +ve
Blue - Left +ve

Using a multimeter is easy. I am sure you will make it :)

color example:

white - right positive
blue - right negative

white left - positive
blue  left - negative

Plug:

Tip - left positive
Ring - right positive
Sleeve - left/right negative + shield, if you want

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #7,393 of 16,305
what cable is best to use for a hd555 mic mod recable with y cord?

if i use starquad cable am i able to use the shielding to ground the mic? otherwise i have to run another cable

i can get van damme tour grade starquad, mogami 2893, canare l-4e5c, canare l-4e6s

which would be the best to use?

bit off topic aswell bt whats the best connector for a mic? 3.5, 3.5 locking, lemo etc? i dont want to spend to much :)

thanks

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #7,394 of 16,305
Thought I would try a silver cable to see what difference it would make. I used teflon covered 19 strand silver cable, cardas HPSC connectors, neutrik 3.5mm jack and some of the quad solder. I was quit surprised but it did certainly make a difference to the sound over an OFC one I was using before. here are some pics of it in production

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #7,395 of 16,305
All things being equal which wire is better for a LOD - silver or copper and if I was to mix would it be silver for the signal (L & R) and copper for the ground or the other way around?

Cheers

Anybody else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back