DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6,647 of 16,305

Quote:
Yeah I hate ALL Pailiccs plugs they suck, construction and durability wise. Just like the Viablue plugs, hate those too would take a Switchcraft anyday.

Or Neutrik :) ?

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #6,648 of 16,305
yeah, i bought them because they look nice without knowing how much they suck to work with. viablue are also not the best, but for some reason so damn expensive. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #6,649 of 16,305
What do you recommend?

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #6,651 of 16,305
I have to confess (except the price) absolutely top. You will get two different clampings (depends on your OD of the cable). And theses plugs fit strong strong..the strongest in my life so far :)..Soldering no problem..and yeahhh I am happy..

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #6,652 of 16,305
Made my own HD-650 cable today and it's my first attempt at making any cable. I'll try and get a picture posted soon. Canare Mini Starquad cable is a pain to work. Two months ago I had no clue how to solder and now I'm getting better. Soldering on those Sennheiser plugs was actually way easier than soldering the tiny 3.55mm plug. The only major mistake I made after I was done is that the wires were touching each other, but it was easy to fix. Not a fan of the Switchcraft plugs and prefer the Canare F-12. Very easy to work with. I haven't listened to it yet for more than a few seconds. I really wish I had used a 1/4" plug instead and saved myself some trouble. My Micro Amp uses a 3.55mm plug though and I prefer not to use an adapter.

What's nice is that the next time around it will take me half as long and I've learned a few tricks to save me time. I also can't imagine someone doing all this without a vice or "Helping Hands". That'd drive me crazy!

I was attemping to build my K702 cable tonight too but the Switchcraft TA3FBX (mini-XLR) is a piece of junk. I found it extremely hard to work with. In the end I screwed up and broke off the left channel post. It totally came out so I'll have to buy another one next week. Stupid of me not to buy two. Is there a mini-xlr plug that's not a piece of junk and easier to work with?

I also found that the Canare cable is not a good option for the K702 cable because of the metal shield. It's a major pain to use and cut down. I'll get some Mogami instead for the K702.

Everything turned out in the end, but I wish I had used some kind of sleeving for the "Y" section. I just used heat-strink tubing for now and it will be good enough for a first attempt.

Once I get more experience I'll try some Double Helix cable and see if it's better than the Mogami or Canare cable. Probably.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #6,653 of 16,305
You could check out the ones at Redco, they make their own.

May 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #6,654 of 16,305
I would recommend using a Rean/Neutrik tiny XLR and some mogami 2534.
Its been a good combo for my K702's

May 1, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #6,655 of 16,305
I just did my first recable and it was a sucess!  i found these broken, mdr-v3 at goodwill for 2 bucks and decided it would be a good way to start..  i have to say these sound awesome, really suprised.. a little sloppy...

May 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6,656 of 16,305
Just build myself a digital coax for HM801: Cardas GRLM RCA plug, Nexans RG179 75ohm coax, Neutrik 3.5mm plug.

digitalaudio.jpg

May 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #6,658 of 16,305

Quote:
would that work with the Fiio X3 too? or is it a different plug

X3 uses 3.5mm as well, but it depends on which pins it uses for signal. For HM801, it is ground (tip) - signal (ring) - ground (sleeve). Hopefully it will be the same on X3 or else I will need to make another.

May 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #6,659 of 16,305
Here are some of my DIY cables

Optical Cable Toslink to Mini-Toslink

Cable Suboofer

Mini to Mini cable (which I just built!)

As soon for other cables!
wink_face.gif

May 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #6,660 of 16,305
very pro looking cables.. nice work.  Those viablue connectors just look so cool to me.

this would be a great time for me to ask why so many people seem to not like viablue connectors?
hard to work with?
poor durability?
too big?
produce strange whispering voices in cables?
music plays backwards?

I love the way they look, but lots of people seem to poo poo them on this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back