DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 6, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #6,541 of 16,305

Quote:
what did you do could you make a short tutorial I'm new to this

Sorry I don't have any photos. Once you get them apart its pretty easy to figure out. I used mini XLR connectors because I wanted something that would clip in and were easy to find. If you need more help search for "recable" on the boards. Don't forget to post up pictures of what you get done too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6,542 of 16,305
sorry to post in the DIY and for the long post... but I figured you guys know more about this than anyone, and i have exhausted my search both on the forums and the googles.

I thought my desire would be so easy to meet but I simply cant find what i'm looking for anywhere

what i am looking for is an aesthetically pleasing mini to mini cable to use in the future between a digital out of a dap (fiio x3) and a digital in of a  JH3A. (jh audio's new custom iem and amp package)
Note: the main goal of this cable is asthetics, and cheap.  i'm about to own an $1800 portable rig, and i figure i owe it to myself to enjoy the way it looks too but i in no way want to plunk down $200 for a cable... call me crazy.. :wink:

ideally i would like it to have the following traits: 
viablue connectors.. only because i like the way the look more than any others.  paillics is my next choice.. again for looks
braided wire, either copper color with clear sheilding that is so commonly used, or maybe something like blue or purple wire - again i'm going for looks here
i dont care about super duper wire.. no need for cryo, or .99999999million percent pure, or silver plated uranium from the moon.. i just want it to transmit sound and not corrode and what not.
wire that is  pretty bendy and doesnt hold its shape
total length maybe 2-3 feet at the most.
most importantly - CHEAP!  am i dreaming that i could get this for under $50

is this possible..  any advice in any way about anything ive mentioned here would be greatly appreciated

would i be better off sourcing all the components myself and then asking a fellow head-fier to build it for me .. or is there someone here that has all the parts and can do it?

thanks alot guys..

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #6,543 of 16,305
No better opportunity to learn to do it yourself!  Soldering is super easy, and so is cable making - especially since you wont be doing a y-split, or dealing with techflex or the like.  The viablue 3.5mm connectors are ~$25, the color coated wire is ~$5, a ratshack pencil soldering iron is $8, solder is $5. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #6,544 of 16,305
it may just come to that, but thats a last resort.

the issue is that by the time I get the wire plugs, soldering iron, solder, and any other misc things like those little clippy gizmos that hold everything for you, then learn how to solder.. it sounds like its easier to just buy or commission one.   I am usually extremely busy to boot.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #6,545 of 16,305
i think that's definitely doable with a $50 budget, unless that budget also includes the commisioning of the cable. viablue connectors are defintiely expensive, you'd save a lot going with the pallics instead, which also do look very nice. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #6,546 of 16,305
why would you need such a long cable? or is 2-3 feet the total length of wire that you would get? 

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #6,547 of 16,305
wow guys, i think I might actually try this myself. soldering makes me nervous.. i have zero experience, but i guess if it takes a few tries i cant really ruin anything right?
soldering 3 braided strands onto a tiny jack seems extra daunting.

i found via blues for $24 a pair
finding cheap calble should be uber easy
i could probably borrow a solder gun and solder

the reason for the long cable is that i dont understand why people always brick all their gear i.e. ipod/amp together.  I would much rather spread it out a bit. ex.. amp in case on hip, ipod in adjacent pocket.. or something like that.   bottom line is i'd like some length to the cable so i have flexibility as to where to put the devices that are tethered  to it

boy the via blue plugs are beasts - sure are big
..  does anyone know how well they lock into jacks.. i like the kind that dont just fall out if they get tugged on.

thanks again guys

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #6,548 of 16,305
i can;t say anything for the mini plugs, but i've used the 1/4" plugs and they lock very well. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #6,549 of 16,305
Cardas balanced 'Fat-Pipe' cable re-terminated to 4-pin XLR and HD-800. The HD-800 connectors are definitely a pain in the butt.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #6,550 of 16,305
ok a few questions on wire

i want really soft wire.. like what comes on portable headphones
not stiff, easy to wrap around my fingers.  will droop under the weight of a connector.

are their any guidelines to follow to make sure you get soft wire? 
i found some super cheap teflon coated wire - would this fit the bill? - I dig the colored insulation

othwerwise there's stuff like this

thanks again.. i really think i can do this - and uber cheap!! :wink:

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #6,551 of 16,305
Cardas balanced 'Fat-Pipe' cable re-terminated to 4-pin XLR and HD-800. The HD-800 connectors are definitely a pain in the butt.

At least the HD800 connectors are metal, no fear of them melting! :angry_face:

Finished (terminated primarily) up a pair of Cardas Smurf cables for a member; k702 and HD598 cables:

r00250894561521.jpg

r00250944576834.jpg

Brendan

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #6,552 of 16,305
Quote:
ok a few questions on wire

i want really soft wire.. like what comes on portable headphones
not stiff, easy to wrap around my fingers.  will droop under the weight of a connector.

are their any guidelines to follow to make sure you get soft wire? 
i found some super cheap teflon coated wire - would this fit the bill? - I dig the colored insulation

othwerwise there's stuff like this

thanks again.. i really think i can do this - and uber cheap!! :wink:

Well I have no experience in this...yet, but I recently asked similar questions and in this same thread. 22 awg seems really thick for what you want it for. Maybe try some 28 or 29? I know someone with experience can chime in but this is my suggestion. So may have helped me I figure I can return the favor. I bought some sxc (silver coated copper) from the ebay seller navships similar to what you are looking for. Best of luck!

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6,554 of 16,305
Ahhh ok yeah I should actually have sent a pm as well. I really need to stop cluttering up the pics threads with text lol.

welp to be a hypocrite.....
Saintkeat, did you get the stranded silver in yet? Anxious to see your thoughts as I would like to buy some myself perhaps.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #6,555 of 16,305
actually it was momentarily at my door, the mailman didn't ring my door bell nor knocked on my door, simply slipped a note saying he was here and I have to go down to the post office to pick it up. poops ridculous. filing a complaint tomorrow when I pick it up. I'll see if I'm up to making the cable tomorrow night, been cramming for my finals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back