DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #6,556 of 16,305
I don't know if any of you fellas realize this, but sleeving of any sort makes the cable much more microphonic, especially if it is moving over any sort of surface. I am going to leave my next cable bare (aside from the original jacket) and report back on the difference.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #6,559 of 16,305
yes thats true. heat shrink is bad to minimize microphonics. nylon and cotton sleeving is much better. even if its "snake skin" since it prevents the bumps on the braid to snag on edges.

however i find with very thin cables i'm sure there won't be much microphonics issues. I'll be leaving my new version of the iem cable unsheathed.

I've disassembled the other cable and cleaned up the connectors and just soldered on the tiny silver cables. man 29awg is so tiny i'm wondering if i should have gone with the 27awg. we'll see after the quad braid how thick it is. i'm letting the cable cure for a bit before i start on the braid.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #6,561 of 16,305
So I picked up the package from slovakia and went to work on it right away. a lot of time was spent waiting for my stress reliefs to cure. I listened to about 4 songs from the PB1 balanced out, I was pretty sweet. Soundstage felt like open cans. Mid Bass was punchy and there was lots of Sub Bass as well, instrument seperation was OK, Mids were really nice, but the Highs were approaching sibilance. I think everything will smoothen out after some decent burn in time. I'm in the boat that believes burn in for silver works. I would say the sound is very similar from what I briefly heard through the Twag cable. So I'm sure thats good enough for some of you folks. I'll probably be buying another 17 ft from him to make a single ended output, depending on how the burn in goes. Ask me again in a week =D

MASSIVE PICS!

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #6,562 of 16,305
@saintkeat, what kind of wire is that and where did you buy it from? looks nice. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #6,564 of 16,305
yes thats right. and after only 5 hours the sound has improved significantly. its actually very engaging and instrument seperation is very decent, till i reach very complex songs (from placebo) then i can't quite seperate the instruments, which i'm sure its no fault of the cable, merely my customs aren't good enough. i'll probably be making another cable soon with an oyaide 3.5mm plug. anyone liking my design at all? =(

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #6,565 of 16,305
they defintiely do look nice. but so expensive =(

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #6,566 of 16,305

Quote:
yes thats right. and after only 5 hours the sound has improved significantly. its actually very engaging and instrument seperation is very decent, till i reach very complex songs (from placebo) then i can't quite seperate the instruments, which i'm sure its no fault of the cable, merely my customs aren't good enough. i'll probably be making another cable soon with an oyaide 3.5mm plug. anyone liking my design at all? =(

They look spectacular IMO. Have you posted your design before? Those three wooden things seem familiar. What are you using for the Y-split?

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #6,568 of 16,305

Quote:
Here's a little eye-catcher for you.

iGrado navships 28AWG silver plated copper each wire in clear 22AWG tubing, Rean 3,5mm jack

Is that clear heatshrink all the way down or something like teflon tubing? How'd you get it to look so nice? How are the microphonics, if any?

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #6,569 of 16,305

Quote:
Is that clear heatshrink all the way down or something like teflon tubing? How'd you get it to look so nice? How are the microphonics, if any?

No, it's not heatshrink. It's teflon clear - the same I use with solid silver core. I don't know about microphonincs but would it be an issue with igrado? They have foam pads afterall. Cable itself is really flexible I can roll the cable on my hand.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #6,570 of 16,305
simple. turn off the music, and pull your cable off the edge of a table. rubbing the cable on the edge and see if you hear anything through your igrados. i'm not sure if you will since igrados are open cans to begin with.

I used clear heat shrink for my y split. turned out very neat. I could take a photo if you like. And I used a big blue bead on my earlier version of an IEM cable, this time i used 3 small beads that moves independantly for the choker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back