DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #6,331 of 16,305

Quote:
The solder I use already has flux in it I think, at first I was using differend types of solder and it was hard to get good joints but since I started using mundorf supreme the soldering has got much easier as it flows real good and I get an excellent joint everytime. I do have different brands of flux but never used them.  

Yep, that was the reason I never used flux. However, I found out my dad had some so I tried it. Now I can not live without. :)

Thanks Piotrus!

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #6,332 of 16,305

Very nice looking recable, Brendan. Did you use the Neutrik plug barrel in the Y-split and glue everything in, then heatshrink over it?

Also, what is your "3:1 heatshrink then clamp method"? Adhesive heatshrink over the Y-split, heat, then use needle-nose pliers to clamp between the two split parts?

Yes to both of your questions.

Thanks for the comments, and apatN I LOVE those Valab plugs, should be getting a few soon. Sometimes simplistic is much better than complicated. I don't know why so many people prefer the gaudy (IMO) Paillics connector, or the Viablue with printing all over the plug.

Brendan

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #6,335 of 16,305
I cleaned it up a bit, and changed it from a Line Out to Line In, since the audio jack on my iTouch is messed up.  Kinda blew out my ears since I forgot I wouldn't be able to control the volume anymore, lol.  Already invested in some "professional" tools, like the third hand thing and some shrink wrap tubing.  Cannot wait to start doing more DIY projects!  If only I could say the same about my homework...

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #6,336 of 16,305
Cyberspyder quick question. I am looking at taking the same route (Mogami Mini Quad and nylon sheathing) for recabling my Grados. Do you know what size nylon you used on the upper and lower parts? I would be ok if using techflex, but I am not sure what sizes I would be needing when using the nylon because it doesn't expand and contract the same way the Techflex does. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #6,338 of 16,305
Good to know, thanks. Where did you get the paracord sheathing from? I was planning on the 3/16 nylon lower and possibly 1/8 nylon for the upper, but I am not sure what the acutal dimensions of the twisted upper portion would be. I really like the way your cord turned out, essentially what I would be shooting for but with an adhesive shrink tube Y split and 1/4 Neutrik connector.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6,339 of 16,305
Hey Now,

I recently re-cabled my Denon AH-D2Ks and re-purposed the oem cable into a mini-to-RCA interconnect >>

It is a more manageable cable this short. That Denon cable with any length is a bear to deal with. Mine got all kinked and twisted, it would never lay very well. It must be the way it is constructed.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #6,340 of 16,305

Quote:
I cleaned it up a bit, and changed it from a Line Out to Line In, since the audio jack on my iTouch is messed up.  Kinda blew out my ears since I forgot I wouldn't be able to control the volume anymore, lol.  Already invested in some "professional" tools, like the third hand thing and some shrink wrap tubing.  Cannot wait to start doing more DIY projects!  If only I could say the same about my homework...

Heh. I can relate...

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #6,341 of 16,305

Quote:

Nice but looks really thick. What you using it for?

Recable my MS1000i's :) as it is a stationary headphone, i went for maximum signal path and less resistance. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #6,345 of 16,305
build my first cable useing navship silvercoated copper wire, cords HD650 plugs and local gold plated plug (prefer them to nutric) as well as matching interconnector (right angle nutrik on this one) The wire is some one what stiff but very light, any suggestions on which cable to try next? Something thats soft and lightish?  Thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back