DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #6,241 of 16,305

Quote:

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother ya again but got another question on the Sextetts.

I'm recabling mine right now and desoldered the wires but I'm confused about the + and - assignments.

Does anyone know which tab is which?

I think the side with the little "hole" is positive and the side with the "2" on it's side is negative but I could be wrong. 

The one with the round indentation is the positive terminal. The 2 has nothing to do with the polarity.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #6,245 of 16,305
Fitz,

Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah I went ahead and soldered the + to the "indentation" side. Thank god I was right. 
biggrin.gif

Sorry I meant to use the "2" as a indication of the position of the tabs.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #6,246 of 16,305

Quote:

My mistake, sorry. I did notice the hole on the right signal before but as it's blocked you can't feed anything through it, I also just had a look at I jack I have here and the hole on the left signal is just so tiny that I have never before noticed it.I always solder all my contacts so never have any use for those holes anyway.Have you tried soldering the Viablue, it's quite easy, I just use a third hand to hold the jack then another to hold the wire down on the contacts and just apply the solder. At first I wasted alot of jacks as I could never get a joint on the left signal but since changing my solder it's alot easier.

no biggie. I have soldered it as well as the Starquad did not fit. Didn't have any issues with it. I used it to reterminate AKG 272 and it makes a very nice and tight fit in any device I plug it.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #6,247 of 16,305
Quick question:

Has anyone made a USB cable?  No, I'm not interested in improving the sonic qualities of the 1's and 0's entering my DAC; I need to make one that's 5 meters long for a photographer friend.  What plugs have you used?

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #6,249 of 16,305
you mean like this? http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#cab1

5m is the maximum USB length.  Any longer than that and you'll time out

EDIT: I'm looking at 5m USB cables on Amazon and with free shipping it's not worth building myself.  Oh well! 

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #6,253 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
Canare Quad Violet cabling with black techflex.

Are those bare cables in some kind of tubing or shrink tube?

Yeah, those are the two twisted pairs emerging from the canare quad cable, with clear heatshrink around them leading to the sennheiser connectors.

That 3.5 to 3.5 looks great by the way!

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #6,254 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Canare Quad Violet cabling with black techflex.

Are those bare cables in some kind of tubing or shrink tube?

Yeah, those are the two twisted pairs emerging from the canare quad cable, with clear heatshrink around them leading to the sennheiser connectors.

That 3.5 to 3.5 looks great by the way!

Thanks mate.
Isn't it too stiff with a heatshrink? My heatshinks always get very hard for example I made a cable (solid silver core btw.) for my customs and used heatshrink as a ear guide. I ended up with a really stiff ear hook. It's comfy though. But I can't bend it easily

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #6,255 of 16,305

Quote:
Thanks mate.
Isn't it too stiff with a heatshrink? My heatshinks always gets very hard for example I made a cable (solid silver core btw.) for my customs and used heatshrink as a ear guide. I ended up with a really stiff ear hook. It's comfy though. But I can't bend it easly

I was worried it may be.. but it seemed some other cables looked to be done in heatshrink also, so I tried it.. it's definately not as flexible as if I left them uncovered, but it's really not bad, especially for the short distance (10-12") that it run from the ears to the Y, and I like that I never have to worry about unwinding the twisted pairs if I have the cable disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back