DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #6,137 of 16,305
do you have a link? i'd rather buy bare wire and use a larger gauge teflon tube (supposed to reduce the dielectric something or other, so the sound is not so bright?)

also thanks for the feedback re: nylon sleeving. Has anyone had any experience with the 1/8 sleeving for IEM cables? its the thinnest available but by my calculations will still be 3mm diameter. I think its the same stuff that null audio uses (here) and I have a pair of their enyo cables for my olf TF10s and i don't really like the look of the sleeving to be honest. it's too thick

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #6,139 of 16,305
Electrically, I don't see why it wouldn't work, even though that's actually jewellery wire. But I think it'll be too stiff for a headphone cable. You'll want stranded wire instead for that.

Quote:
This seller sells Silver wire, but it's not covered with anything. If you use a cotton sheath (or any other type of sheath, really) would it be possible to use this wire as an IC or headphone cable? It says it's 99.999% pure, so it should work, right?

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #6,140 of 16,305

Quote:
Again, just out of curiosity.

Quote:
Electrically, I don't see why it wouldn't work, even though that's actually jewellery wire. But I think it'll be too stiff for a headphone cable. You'll want stranded wire instead for that.

I realize this, but that's why I said "Just out of curiosity."

Also, I'll have an addition for this thread pretty soon. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #6,141 of 16,305
So I tried to build my first cable today, just a little mini to mini for my ipod.

There is sound, but it goes in and out of the channels, is scratchy, and moving the cable around makes the sound change. I've never heard anything quite like it.
It was pretty much my first time using a soldering iron, but I made solid connections. I used silver coated copper with teflon shielding for the cable.

Am I missing something ?

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #6,142 of 16,305

Quote:
So I tried to build my first cable today, just a little mini to mini for my ipod.

There is sound, but it goes in and out of the channels, is scratchy, and moving the cable around makes the sound change. I've never heard anything quite like it.
It was pretty much my first time using a soldering iron, but I made solid connections. I used silver coated copper with teflon shielding for the cable.

Am I missing something ?

After you soldered the connections, did you cover them in heatshrink to prevent shorting?

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #6,143 of 16,305
Every single one of the connections needs heatshrink over it ? I tried to do this after the fact but things got messy. I should probably get 3:1 heatshrink as opposed to 2:1 as well. I'll try again.

Edit: Well i got it to sound better but I need smaller heatshrink and larger mini jacks. What a mess. I'm glad i decided to buy the materials locally before making a big purchase online. Destroyed 4 mini jacks trying to get it right.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #6,145 of 16,305
Jan 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #6,146 of 16,305
I did google of course, what i found is 4 braid Flat, not round.
and I found 8 braid which is actualy they double and become 4, not 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6u-uetGNY
this is actually 4 braid, he double it.
I need 8.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #6,147 of 16,305
Thanks for the help, guys.

I struggled quite a bit at first, but now I feel pretty confident. Here are my first two cables.

22 awg silver coated copper, teflon shielding. I wish it were a little thinner!
Radioshack/Fry's connectors. The ones from fry's are awful.
Heatshrink/Techflex from fry's.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #6,148 of 16,305

Quote:
I did google of course, what i found is 4 braid Flat, not round.
and I found 8 braid which is actualy they double and become 4, not 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6u-uetGNY
this is actually 4 braid, he double it.
I need 8.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=8+strand+round+braid

Fourth result, 'Braids.' 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back