DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6,031 of 16,305
I have to say this is one of my favorite threads.  This and the Post Your Builds Thread always just makes me so anxious to go out, spend all my money, and build everything I can.
Hopefully one day I have a cable I'm proud enough to post here.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #6,032 of 16,305
Made a straight cable for the TMA-1. Switchcraft angled plug, Neutrik straight plug, Cordial Professional shielded stereo cable, WBT silver solder, two layers of adhesive heat shrink for strain relief.

Interestingly, the stock coiled cable of the TMA-1 measures a resistance of 2.2 Ohm, while my cable measures 0.1 Ohm.

_MG_2137.jpg

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #6,033 of 16,305

Quote:
Made a straight cable for the TMA-1. Switchcraft angled plug, Neutrik straight plug, Cordial Professional shielded stereo cable, WBT silver solder, two layers of adhesive heat shrink for strain relief.

Interestingly, the stock coiled cable of the TMA-1 measures a resistance of 2.2 Ohm, while my cable measures 0.1 Ohm.

That sort of resistance isn't uncommon, the HD600 cable measures about the same, but still it usually isn't enough to make the headphones perform suboptimal.

Tiny tip on that hatshrinking. If you apply them in the reverse order, i.e. short to long, the end result will look smoother
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #6,035 of 16,305
Thanks for the tip. That does look very nice indeed - not only because of the 'hidden' second layer of heatshrink, but also because it's shorter.

If it was regular heatshrink on my cable I would cut it to size, but since it's adhesive, I guess I would just mess it up some more.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #6,040 of 16,305

While I was checking out the Luxman SQ-N100 in Best Electric, I saw they had a couple of Van Den Hul digital cables going for cheap.  One of them was the triaxial 75 Ohm Professional for about $70.  As I'd picked up some Oyaide BNC plugs elsewhere that really need some fairly thick cable, I took a chance that I could re-terminate the cable with them.  I was more right than I expected!  Van Den Hul plugs use a crimping collet for the signal return and shield. The centre wire is soldered, while the braided return and the shield (or just the return on one end) are bent back over the outer dielectric and the collet crimped on.  The Oyaide plug was the same, but the collet through to the centre pin is one piece, including the dielectric between them.  Thankfully the fit was exactly the same, with only the outer wires being a bit too long.  You can just see behind the right plug a mark where the collet in the VDH plug was crimped at its tightest. You can see from the thickness of the outer section of the VDH plugs just how chunky they are for RCAs. The cable itself is 9mm in diameter IIRC.  

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #6,044 of 16,305
Complete noob here in need of help. Basically my IEMs (Denon C710) need to be recabled. I have someone who knows how to do it but I need to provide him the parts. I want a thin, braided cable but don't know where to start. It'd be a lot better for me if it was pre-made. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Not looking for anything overly high end. I just want to get my IEMs working again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back