DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 11, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #5,926 of 16,305

Quote:
Finally finished my recable on my Grado's. I installed mono jacks inside the cups incase I ever want different cables. It is Blue Mogami with Carbon Techflex over it with Via blue plugs. I know there are some flaws in it but It looks nice and is the length I want!

Very nice! What size techflex did you use? Which mogami?

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #5,927 of 16,305
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #5,932 of 16,305
I like to use 3/16th nylon multifilament for Mogami mini-quad and the bigger, regular sized Star-quad variants. I don’t strip the outer insulation layer off as I feel the cable is better protected and will be more durable with it left on. Furthermore, I wouldn’t have to contend with the braid fraying all over the place, making it nearly impossible not to spear your sleeving open with sliding it on. However, I do strip it for the portion after the Y (or V, remember you heard that term here first) then cover it with paracord.

Brendan

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #5,933 of 16,305

Quote:
I like to use 3/16th nylon multifilament for Mogami mini-quad and the bigger, regular sized Star-quad variants. I don’t strip the outer insulation layer off as I feel the cable is better protected and will be more durable with it left on. Furthermore, I wouldn’t have to contend with the braid fraying all over the place, making it nearly impossible not to spear your sleeving open with sliding it on. However, I do strip it for the portion after the Y (or V, remember you heard that term here first) then cover it with paracord.

Brendan

So if you are using a mini-quad you leave all 4 wires in the cable even though you are only using 3?

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5,934 of 16,305

Quote:

So if you are using a mini-quad you leave all 4 wires in the cable even though you are only using 3?

Usually each pair in the cable is wired to each driver so you end up with 2 grounds, a left channel signal, and a right channel signal.  If the cable is being terminated to a TRS connector, the ground conductors from each driver are wired together within the plug to the ground connection. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #5,935 of 16,305
You should use two wires for ground, and make them meet only at the connector end of the headphone cable.

This is where I buy techflex.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/furryletters/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #5,937 of 16,305

Quote:
You should use two wires for ground, and make them meet only at the connector end of the headphone cable.

This is where I buy techflex.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/furryletters/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Thats where I get my techflex from as well LOL. Good prices and fast shipping.

Quote:
Usually each pair in the cable is wired to each driver so you end up with 2 grounds, a left channel signal, and a right channel signal.  If the cable is being terminated to a TRS connector, the ground conductors from each driver are wired together within the plug to the ground connection. 

Quote:
Yep, that way I don't have to bother adding an extra wire to act as the ground for the second driver.

O I C. Im doing a recable for a gaming headset so the left, right, mic and 3 grounds will terminate on a female trrs jack and I will have a removable cable with a male trrs on one end split into two 3.5mm. Im just wondering what size I need to fit everything and if I need to pull the individual wires out of the quad or just leave it. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #5,938 of 16,305

My lattest LOD with double 26G silver wire in mardi gras colors

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5,940 of 16,305
Thanks,
I did not add this to post the wire and heat shrink was hot glued down, it was 3AM when I finished and took images :)
I hope it is locked it in place like the ALO I inspected ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back