DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #5,945 of 16,306
Hi All,

Quick question. I'm going to be making some cables with 1/8" connectors and I'm wondering where you all like to get your supplies (connectors and cables)?
I've made some stereo cables before, and wired up a few amps with most of my supplies coming from soniccraft.com and Michael Percy.
So who are your suppliers for these nice looking cables I see here?

Thanks,
West

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #5,947 of 16,306
3.5mm -> 3.5mm & h10a-7p-6p -> 4 pin mini xlr.  I did not make the protector -> 4 pin mini cable.

A headphone cable, 4 pin mini xlr -> 2 4 pin mini xlrs...  Also an unfinished 4 pin mini xlr -> dual xlr  and a practically just started 6 wire braid for a H10a-7P-6P -> H10A-7P-6P.  Also the H10A-7P-6P -> 4 pin mini xlr is pictured again, I intend to remake this cable though regardless.

With the exception of the 3.5mm -> 3.5mm, which I made for a friend with some kind of mogami stuff that he provided, most cables are 22 AWG solid core silver, or copper for the grounds where applicable (the unfinished braid only).  The 4 pin mini xlrs and right angle 3.5mm are switchcraft and the full sized xlrs are neutrik.  I am thinking I will completely redo the dual XLR cable as I am unsatisfied with it right now.

I would like to fool around with cotton insulation but maybe some other time...

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #5,948 of 16,306
I'm new to the cable building/re-cabling scene and had a question regarding my plans:

Is there any advantage twisting the 2 wires after the Y-split to the cups? I prefer the look of the wires running parallel if it's covered by heat shrink. For reference, here are the parts I'm using:

-Grado SR325i
-Mogami W2893
-Switchcraft 3.5mm right-angle plug (35HDRABAU)
-3:1 dual wall heat shrink tubing (various sizes)
-2:1 heat shrink tubing (various sizes)

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #5,950 of 16,306
It'll be another 1-2 weeks before my parts are all in. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get started. Hopefully, I can get some tips from some of the more experienced DIYers as this is my first project.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5,951 of 16,306
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461915/a-pic-by-pic-grado-sr80-recable-thread this looks like it might help you maybe?  Just re-cabled a SA5000 for my friend last night.  At work though right now, so no pics.  The ground wire to the left ear was broken somewhere between the plug and the cup... also the stock cable was some bull poopie.  I did salvage some of the nylon cover from it though, fun times.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5,954 of 16,306
I saw that thread while I was researching and I must have gone through 100+ threads deciding whether I would be able to tackle this job.

I do have some flextech braided sleeving coming in. Other users have said that nylon multifilament produces much less microphonics compared to the flextech, but I wasn't able to find a seller (online or otherwise) that would be able to cover the cables I'm using. The 1/8" for the wires after the Y-split was easy enough to come across, but the general consensus of 3/16" size for the entire Mogami cable was near impossible to find or had ridiculous shipping rates to Canada.

If anyone knows such a seller with reasonable shipping rates, I would be very interested for future projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back