DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #5,132 of 16,305
ahh I see, yeah looks real cool, but balanced might be having a hard time with that. 2 x 26 is probably close to 1 x 24 though, all wires including the thick one are signal wires with a balanced cable, so i'm not sure the common mode rejection on this cable will be doing much. you'll still have more voltage swing though. with balanced you should try to keep all wires the same, so its errm, balanced
biggrin.gif
just something to keep in mind, does look great and apart from the extra solder joint, no issues at all with a single ended cable

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #5,133 of 16,305
I finally got around to terminating this even though I need to be cramming for a test.

My first USB cable:

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4634-usb.jpg

It is about 1.5' long. I used some Kobiconn connectors from Mouser that had gold plated contacts and a nickel shell. The data wires were 26 awg Neglex OFC stripped out of some Mogami cable. The power and ground wires were 22 awg Neglex OFC also stripped out of some Mogami cable. Each pair was twisted up then wrapped in a foil shield that I harvested from some RG6 cable that I had lying around. That was then slid into a braided shield also from the RG6 cable. Then each pair that is now individually shielded was individually sleeved in some nylon multifilament to make it nice and quiet in the black techflex that holds it all together. The shield is grounded to the shell only at the source end (Type A plug). The plug connections are sealed and strengthened with some double-wall adhesive heatshrink then covered in some regular 3 to 1 to make it look a little nicer. And this whole exercise would be pointless if it didn't work, so I am happy to say it sounds marvelous. No shorting, no audible interference or distortion, etc. I can't really A/B vs my normal Monoprice cable, but it definitely sounds no worse, looks cooler to me, and makes me smile everytime I listen to music since I know I made it. I didn't go fancy with the techflex or anything since this was an experiment, so my next one will be made out of some silver with a more interesting sleeving scheme.

Oh and I am still trying to find a good (but still cheap) source of connectors that has a gold plated shell as well as the connectors, so if anyone finds one, please share.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #5,134 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpl Ledanek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone here in the Naperville/Aurora/Downers Grove IL that can recable/shorten my DT770 PRO and add a 90 degree connector?

I could shorten and reterminate them. I don't do much cabling, so I'm not sure I'm interested in recabling these for you.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5,137 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by habman6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first one!! Totally addicted now...(bad pic, its from my phone)

Excellent. We need more crazies in the asylum! What materials did you use?

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5,138 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by habman6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first one!! Totally addicted now...(bad pic, its from my phone)

Wow! I like it. Great job man.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #5,139 of 16,305
Thanks guys. I used Mogami Neglex 2534 quad cable, yellow polyethylene expandable sleeve, Vampire PP7S stereo plug, attached to my Sennheiser HD555 (no difference in quality, I did it mainly because the length of the stock cable was about 3m too long for me, and I hated how it always coiled/kinked).

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #5,140 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...My first USB cable:...

nuuu, how does it sound after some break in??
biggrin.gif
j/k.

good stuff!

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #5,141 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nuuu, how does it sound after some break in??
biggrin.gif
j/k.

good stuff!

The detail and precision, as well as the spatial imaging have gotten so good, I can actually SEE my music now. It was a little disconcerting at first, but I really enjoy it now.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5,142 of 16,305
Here is a new cable, my second. It is not finished yet but it is going to be a LOD to RCA, I am waiting on the Ipod connectors to get here. I am making of two of them the exact same. I made one for myself a while back with some pure silver and my dad and one of co-workers wanted one. So I am using Mogami cable with the Redco audio RCA jacks.

Oh I have a question, I am going to be making a LOD to 3.5mm, and I was wondering about which wire to use? I have a little over 3ft of solid silver, 24awg, and I would use it but it isn't flexible at all. Would I loose significant sound quality if instead I used some wire from old earphones. Like just cut it and use that wire? Thanks.

IMG_0378-1.jpg

IMG_0375-1.jpg

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #5,143 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a new cable, my second. It is not finished yet but it is going to be a LOD to RCA, I am waiting on the Ipod connectors to get here. I am making of two of them the exact same. I made one for myself a while back with some pure silver and my dad and one of co-workers wanted one. So I am using Mogami cable with the Redco audio RCA jacks.

Oh I have a question, I am going to be making a LOD to 3.5mm, and I was wondering about which wire to use? I have a little over 3ft of solid silver, 24awg, and I would use it but it isn't flexible at all. Would I loose significant sound quality if instead I used some wire from old earphones. Like just cut it and use that wire? Thanks.

In all seriousness just about any metal will get a signal through. To prove a point, someone in the DIY forum soldered a bunch of paperclips together and thought it sounded pretty good.

You might lose something using earphone cable (one of the reasons many like to recable), but probably not anything that noticeable. Did you hear significant changes in sound when you used silver? Silver vs Mogami? If not, then you are not likely to by using headphone cable. Do you have any more Mogami?

Oh, and the black rings around the RRCA's are a sticker. I peeled mine off an used a little goo gone to get rid of the sticky residue and I think the connectors look a lot better now.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #5,144 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all seriousness just about any metal will get a signal through. To prove a point, someone in the DIY forum soldered a bunch of paperclips together and thought it sounded pretty good.

You might lose something using earphone cable (one of the reasons many like to recable), but probably not anything that noticeable. Did you hear significant changes in sound when you used silver? Silver vs Mogami? If not, then you are not likely to by using headphone cable. Do you have any more Mogami?

Oh, and the black rings around the RRCA's are a sticker. I peeled mine off an used a little goo gone to get rid of the sticky residue and I think the connectors look a lot better now.

Yeah I realized that after the fact. Though all it is is a piece of sheathing from the fat part of the Mogami about 1/2" that I just put there and heat shrinked in to take up room so you wouldn't have two small wires in a gigantic hole.

And I am still waiting on the Ipod connectors to finish this cable up so I don't know about the sound difference. I made a one of these same cables a while back with the silver and it sounds fine. I don't know if my ears can tell the difference between cables. But I only have once Ipod connector coming so I can't do the crappy cable vs. the silver. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0382-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back