DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #4,144 of 16,305
Yep sorry for not coming back earlier, I was glad I found Awaan for the Pailiccs, and happy to report him as my source for the thin Pailiccs too. Having said that I bought his last 8 at the time (a week ago) so you might want to ask if/when he'll have access to more.

But again I warn that it's now the tightest plug I've used and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (if you're going to be making cables in commercial quantities).

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #4,146 of 16,305
Can you hear a difference? And if so, is it worth the discomfort? I'm still tossing up whether to bother or not. The stock one is just so light and flexi!

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4,147 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you hear a difference? And if so, is it worth the discomfort? I'm still tossing up whether to bother or not. The stock one is just so light and flexi!

Absolutely. I hear a lot more detail in the mids and highs; the low end is less "notchy" around the 120 - 200Hz range and I believe this is the reason why I'm hearing more in the mids/highs. Imaging improved quite a bit too. If it means anything, I would not use these headphones while mastering audio without this cable. I honestly was not expecting this much improvement.

To be honest, I built the cable just to see if there would be a difference (you can tell that I really didn't mind the looks of it by using multiple pieces of printed shrinktubing, it's kind of "Frankestein-ish" in that regard), but now after having it for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking about building another one that's a bit cleaner. I also want to build another one using Star Quad cable, to hear what that would sound like because it will be more flexible, and it would be an opportunity to hear if such a heavy cable makes that much of a difference.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #4,148 of 16,305
I just made my first set of DIY interconnects, using Canare Star Quad and Neutrik RCA plugs.
Picture%20342.jpg

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #4,150 of 16,305
If I wiggle the cable sometimes the sound cuts out..I think the connection is shorting where I soldered it. The signal wires are bumping against the side of the RCA plug (ground). I thought I did a good job soldering it though...it looks exactly like the pictures in the step by step instructions thread. Is this normal for DIY interconnect or is there a better way to do this for my next build?
The Neutrik plugs are NYS373, cost $1.25 from markertek. Nice plugs but a tight fit when putting them on component rca jacks.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #4,151 of 16,305
I've had the signal drop out from loose connections. Just make sure the joint is nice and strong and that when it's put together there's adequate insulation between all the metal bits. Metal plugs usually have a plastic sheath inside to insulate between the barrel and the tabs, but I have had to add extra insulation between the ground tab and signal tab before because it was a tight fit inside with large wires, etc and the joints were sometimes touching when the plug moved. Some electrical tape around the joints inside the plug should help if things are getting squished inside.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #4,152 of 16,305
You can use hot glue to insulate them. Once you're certain the solder joints are sound, add hot glue (careful that it doesn't protrude), then install your plastic sheath and then the barrel.

Hot glue is great as it can be wrestled out in case something goes horribly wrong.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #4,153 of 16,305
p1050191.jpg

p1050193.jpg

p1050194.jpg

Specs:
12 AWG - 3 Conductor
Copper Stranded
Neutrik PowerCon® 20 Amp Locking AC Connectors
Techflex Sleeving
Super Flexible
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #4,154 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by vrao81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just made my first set of DIY interconnects, using Canare Star Quad and Neutrik RCA plugs. <snip>

I guess one of your joints is not strong enough... I don't think it has room to short. If you solder your wires like this there should be no trouble. BTW, I made a cable that looks just like yours only I made it out of Mogami. I love the plain cable with Neutrik connectors. Nice and no-nonsense.

P1010817.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back