DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #3,166 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really need to. I've had a couple of the Neutrik in-line females drop a channel after they've been used for a while, so I stay away from them. Calrad is the most reliable in-line female mini I've been able to find, but I really wish I had more options. Switchcraft, I'm looking at you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Crap.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #3,167 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4.jpg

Terminate with Furutech 1/4" plug,

I love that plug. Looks very professional. They're very expensive unfortunately.
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #3,171 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did you buy?

I bought two, about 12 bucks each.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moon Audio has them at fairly nice price
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to get a pair of Cardas connectors and a Furutech plug from them.

I got the Furutech's at http://www.partsconnexion.com

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #3,172 of 16,312
yeah those Furutech 1/4 " plugs are sweet looking!! $12 aint too bad really. You've inspired me ingwe I might just build myself a new extension cable for my SE530's of course it could be repurposed for pretty much any phones I ever get so a good investment. Jena wire here I come
atsmile.gif
. I've already got some but only enough for a couple of LOD's might just have to get some stranded cryo silver to go along with it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #3,176 of 16,312
ribbon.jpg

They're speaker wires, but I thought I'd share anyway. Soldering the thick wires to the IDC connector was more difficult that I thought it would be, but it sure beat stripping 50 individual 28 gauge wires and then trying to get those into the bananas.

I'll have to pot the IDC connectors up somehow. Anyone have tips? I was thinking of using some plastic tube and filling it up with caulking or resin of some sort.

Cheers,
Alfred

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #3,177 of 16,312
Interesting, but why?

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #3,179 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it should have VERY low inductance, and looks easy to build
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, low self-inductance is the key. In principle, they are best suited for driving lows, while you'd like to have something with low capacitance for highs. But I'm using them for both, and they seem to perform quite well. In my setup, the difference between these and regular 14-gauge wires is hard to tell - I need a better source. My colleague with his Zanden DAC claims he noticed a tighter bass when he switched.

As for easy to build, uh, not as easy as you'd think. The IDC connectors are easy to clamp on if you have the right equipment (thankfully, I have access to a lot of that stuff at work). But soldering the thick wires to them was a pain.

Cheers,
Alfred

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #3,180 of 16,312
Ah, that makes sense. Nice work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back