DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #3,121 of 16,305
Well, after reading through the whole thread, I thought I'd give it another go.

I made a 3.5 to 2.5 mini interconnect, and redid the heat shrink on my first cable after being inspired by some of the amazing cables in this thread.

I know they're not much, but I'm happy I made them
smily_headphones1.gif

2.5 to 3.5 in progress
img0671kp6.jpg

all done
smily_headphones1.gif

img0674pa4.jpg

img0680go5.jpg

img0681ht8.jpg

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #3,124 of 16,305
New Sennheiser cable. I actually made two - one with HD650 connectors, the other with Cardas connectors (long story, person asked for 3m cable, I underestimated wire and after braiding it ended up being 2.2m so I kept that one for myself). They look almost the same. Wire is the new mil-spec SPC I just bought and Oh My GOD! This SPC sounds a lot better than the stuff I usually use (and still have hundreds of feet of).

2zj9f77.jpg

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #3,126 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Fallen you should really clean your floor! And oh, I love that Neutrik 1/4
biggrin.gif
What SPC did you get? Navships?

Yeah, I really should and do weekly but there is construction/renovation going on in the building so it's really really dirty everywhere. Just having a window open for a few hours results in this kind of thing.

I used to always buy wire from navships, but I just got a nice deal on a large spool from CIE @ eBay. Great wire, sounds fantastic.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #3,127 of 16,305
Here are Two I just finished not even 10 mins ago. Bad camera=bad pics, and I need to dust
smily_headphones1.gif

Top one: Canare Mini-Neutrik mini-Coral snake sleeving. ( I found this place local that sells sleeving that is snake skin, it is Super soft nylon)
2nd: Mogami Neg-Neutrik 1/4-same sleeving
All cables 1.5 m/5 ft

The top cable is the same I used for my own Denons just in black as you see from pic # 3

@ FallenAngel is that heat shrink after your y-split? I see alot of people using that, isn't it stiff??

dscf0041vm4.jpg

dscf0040uk4.jpg

dscf0035ub9.jpg

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #3,130 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tokenganjaclan: Really thin heatshrink (without glue version), it's quite soft, no problems at all.

apatN: Looks like Mogami 2534 to me

Cool, I might give it a shot. Correct on the Mogami-It's the standard stuff. A guy wanted the bigger size so I made it up real quick. Nothing fancy but it sounds good and looks nice when on the cans..

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #3,132 of 16,305
People say that their Mini-Mini cables are soft... well lets see your portable cable do this!

Oh, did I mention it's solid-core
smily_headphones1.gif
The wire is 4x 26awg solid-core 99.9999% pure copper in Teflon with a layer of pure unbleached cotton over it. Cable is 1ft long.

The other cable I built today is a 1m pair of RCA-RCA cables: solid-core 18awg Cardas in pure unbleached cotton tubing with Yarbo copper RCA. In preparation for my new ESI Juli@.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #3,133 of 16,305
Finally got around to redoing the HD650 cable I had done before w/monofilament.

I've read that it's suggested to fill the cavity of the Cardas HPSC's w/epoxy or hot glue. The first time using a hot glue gun the glue was stringy and a bit of a pain. The second time I cut a small piece off a hot glue stick and trimmed it to fit on top of the cavity. Then melted it with a hot air gun. Worked better this way.

trsdz0.png

endsmv6.png

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #3,135 of 16,305
Nice gotchaforce! What are the specs? A power cable and speaker cable are next on my list.

Here is my first attempt at DIY cables and I am pretty satisfied. Some aspects were harder than I thought and some were easier. Picked up my parts at Redco.

A pair of 3ft Interconnects w/ shield grounded at one end
Cable - Mogami W2549 (Awesome cable BTW)
Termination - Neutrik NYS352
Sleeve - 1/8" XS100
Solder - Radio Shack 62/36/2
Cost - $17 shipped

*Update - I just listened to these and all I can say is that I am now a believer in cables or maybe not as skeptical. I was using some "directional" Monster Interlink 250 cables that I have had for years and these new cables are more musical, bass goes lower and more full, and vocal/instrument separation is improved.

img1112ecx1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back