DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 10, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #2,971 of 16,312
I just finished my first Grado recable on my SR-225.

The cable is XLO 26awg solid-core 6N 99.9999% pure copper in Teflon. It sounds wonderful, and I love the "pretty-in-pink" look
tongue.gif
(it's actually violet, but who cares).

The 1/4" plug is by Yarbo (same as my favorite RCA), it's the only 1/4" plug I found that actually uses Teflon dielectric, all the rest are hard plastic and not nearly as nice.

May 10, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #2,972 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished my first Grado recable on my SR-225.

The cable is XLO 26awg solid-core 6N 99.9999% pure copper in Teflon. It sounds wonderful, and I love the "pretty-in-pink" look
tongue.gif
(it's actually violet, but who cares).

The 1/4" plug is by Yarbo (same as my favorite RCA), it's the only 1/4" plug I found that actually uses Teflon dielectric, all the rest are hard plastic and not nearly as nice.

i like that cable...is it stiff or easy to bend? sometimes the thinner cables tend to be the stiffest...

i'm thinking about re-cabling my sr-60 to make them more portable-friendly (yeah yeah, i know some of you are wondering why the sr-60...but it's one of my favorite all-time headphones)...while i won't spend a lot for the cable. it's nice to see how they might look with a thin cable...

May 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #2,973 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like that cable...is it stiff or easy to bend? sometimes the thinner cables tend to be the stiffest...

i'm thinking about re-cabling my sr-60 to make them more portable-friendly (yeah yeah, i know some of you are wondering why the sr-60...but it's one of my favorite all-time headphones)...while i won't spend a lot for the cable. it's nice to see how they might look with a thin cable...

The cable is EXTREMELY thin and flexible, in fact it's so small that it's scary. Only after building it did I learn this. Next recable job, I'm opting for some tubing over it. I'm getting some nice cotton tubing that should be able to slip over this width of cable and then perhaps some nylon over it. It's very thin and if treated wrong, I'm afraid it'll break. It does sound wonderful though, a nice addition of detail over stock.

For SR60, I would recommend just going with SPC, cant' be beat for $10 total cost
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2,976 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I whipped together while preparing to recable my DT770s

Mind if I ask what you are going to use to recable your DT770s? I have a pair of DT770 Pro/250 ohm cans with the factory coiled cord that I MUST change. I can't stand the coiled cords, even though I've lived with it for almost 1.5 years now.

May 19, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2,977 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentXXL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind if I ask what you are going to use to recable your DT770s? I have a pair of DT770 Pro/250 ohm cans with the factory coiled cord that I MUST change. I can't stand the coiled cords, even though I've lived with it for almost 1.5 years now.

I used Gothams GAC-4 for that. If I would do it again, and I will
wink.gif
I would use the thinner Canare star-quad and maybe even go dual entry. The Gotham for single entry is too thick.

May 23, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #2,979 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 foot silver IC
24gaug 99.99% silver wire

IC2.jpg

parts_2.jpg

teflex_black2.jpg

^picture taken with techflex, final IC covered in nylon
plastic_vs_nylone.jpg

IC3.jpg

BEAUTIFUL CABLES! So beautiful that i just ordered the parts to make them. They will match the Millett that I have almost completed very nicely!

Much Props!

May 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2,981 of 16,312
mine come on Wednesday!
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #2,984 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how to braid this ?
frown.gif

I've tried to look and ask here thousand times but received no help
frown.gif

Try this
Braids

May 27, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #2,985 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me how to braid this ?
frown.gif

I've tried to look and ask here thousand times but received no help
frown.gif

It's fairly obvious from the wires, just take the wire on the edge and weave it under/over/etc. Just follow that picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back