DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 30, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #1,817 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Actually I think Hevimees is right on that one, with a 2 conductor cable, mADmAN must have used to 2 conductors for signal which leaves the shield to be the ground which needs to be connected on both ends.

yeah im using 2 conductor cable as signal and the shield as ground. i just tested it and although theres sound...it was horrendous! no bass at all... and the vocals could hardly be heard. think ill go back and terminate the ground and see if theres any difference.

EDIT: one more question...

for the L-4E6S mini-rca i used on the previous page, i used 2 conductors as signal and the other 2 conductors as ground. the shield was left unconnected. should i have connected the shield as well? if yes on which side? source? or both ends?

thanks

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #1,818 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN
yeah....thats what i did with my other cheapo plugs. only thing is i dont have a drill. had to pass the others to my best friend to do it for me. cant get him to do it now coz he just became a daddy on the 25th so hell be busy with his firstborn.

i mentioned it in stock form. as an FYI kinda thing
biggrin.gif

would still like to know if these plugs are any good...

REAN/Neutrik NYS233 are way better than those you normally find priced lower. I use them exclusively now because they proved to be quite tough and durable for frequent plug/unplug. I don't have any problem with firment because they are sized accurately for a minis unlike other cheapos which may sometimes bend a little out from factory
blink.gif
- that could cause serious damage to the sockets and I learned a sore lesson with my CMOY jacks

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #1,820 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Actually I think Hevimees is right on that one, with a 2 conductor cable, mADmAN must have used to 2 conductors for signal which leaves the shield to be the ground which needs to be connected on both ends.

If the shield is used as ground that is undoubtly correct. But I had not understood it as such, (my mistake).

smily_headphones1.gif

Rgds Hans

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #1,821 of 16,309
Quote:

yeah im using 2 conductor cable as signal and the shield as ground. i just tested it and although theres sound...it was horrendous! no bass at all... and the vocals could hardly be heard. think ill go back and terminate the ground and see if theres any difference.

I think it's safe to bet that there will be quite a difference
wink.gif

Quote:

EDIT: one more question...

for the L-4E6S mini-rca i used on the previous page, i used 2 conductors as signal and the other 2 conductors as ground. the shield was left unconnected. should i have connected the shield as well? if yes on which side? source? or both ends?

thanks

You can connect the shield at the end which is meant for the signal's source, which I assume is the mini side. This won't do any difference in terms of sound quality, but it should provide better shielding from interferences.

If you connect the shield at both ends, it won't do you any good.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #1,823 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hevimees
You can connect the shield at the end which is meant for the signal's source, which I assume is the mini side. This won't do any difference in terms of sound quality, but it should provide better shielding from interferences.

If you connect the shield at both ends, it won't do you any good.

exactly what i was thinking... which also means its ok if i dont connect them on either end. think ill start connecting them on the source end from now on.

thanks for the confirmation.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #1,824 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
EFN: what female ends did you use in those Ohm adapters?

I'll take better shots on them females unmodded
plainface.gif

They are from Japan and built quality is superb with finely constructed poles inside. The barrel used to cover them is actually from a cheapo minis which I buy just for the barrels. Those Japanese females come dressed in plastic black barrel
biggrin.gif
and they cost less than a $1
basshead.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #1,825 of 16,309
im going to be making some rca cables and speaker wire cables very soon. but im unsure of what size heat shrink i should buy.

could some one give me the sizes i would need to make RCAs using quad star cable. i will also be using heatshrink over the rca finger grips

also i will be making some speaker wire using 12-16ga wire and i would like to use heatshrink over the spade connections.

thanks.

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #1,826 of 16,309
damn them techflex looks good... sigh... how i wish it was easy to get them here.

anyway...i have a question... i noticed that most of my metal mini plugs have a connection between the barrel and ground. even when theyre new and unused. is this why u guys put heatshrink over the plugs? any other reasons why people put heatshrink over the plugs?

Nov 6, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #1,827 of 16,309
the barrel is connected to the ground for shielding purposes... I usually use heatshrink over it whenever I want to make it have a different look or color, etc.

Nov 11, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #1,828 of 16,309
3000smile.gif
Anyone instruct me as to how to build such a cable. ETc Scottsmrnyc

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #1,829 of 16,309
Qables just started selling the slim iPod dock connectors, and I bought a few of the white ones along with a couple neutrik 3.5mm headphones connectors. I've made a line out dock before, and as you can see a few posts up, it was a failure (well, it worked, just it wasn't pretty).

This one is pretty(or prettier).

I used the PFE sleeved wire that qables sells, some silver solder, and sleeving that I pulled of of an old computer case fan that had a blade broken off of it.

Eventually I'll do a How-To to make iPod line out dock cables. But first I have to get back from vacation in three weeks. I'll let everyone know how it sounds after being on the plane for 12 hours.

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #1,830 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by awptickes
Qables just started selling the slim iPod dock connectors, and I bought a few of the white ones along with a couple neutrik 3.5mm headphones connectors. I've made a line out dock before, and as you can see a few posts up, it was a failure (well, it worked, just it wasn't pretty).

This one is pretty(or prettier).

I used the PFE sleeved wire that qables sells, some silver solder, and sleeving that I pulled of of an old computer case fan that had a blade broken off of it.

Eventually I'll do a How-To to make iPod line out dock cables. But first I have to get back from vacation in three weeks. I'll let everyone know how it sounds after being on the plane for 12 hours.

Nice to see my stuff in use and nice work too.

I see you widened the dock cable exit a little.
That is the reason I am presently not using this connector for my own cabling, the exit hole is too small. But for the rest it is a good looking connector!

Rgds

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back