DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 1, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #1,486 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by niietzshe
I am just starting my first cable mod, mainly because I'm modding a piece of audio equipment that I want to have nice cables on.
I've decided to use 9mm Lok's for the phono plugs as I think they look quite pro. And an 8.5mm audio grade coaxial cable. Now I just need some braiding to finish it off. Can anyone tell my what kind of braid this is, as I'm finding it hard, especially on UK sites to find such nice looking braid:

The type would be good, a product name better, but if any of you can point me in the direction of an online retailer who sells that stuff that would be great!!!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Niietzshe

It looks to be Nylon Multifiliment to me. WireCare in the US has it but I am not sure about the UK.

May 2, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #1,487 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
It looks to be Nylon Multifiliment to me. WireCare in the US has it but I am not sure about the UK.

That stuff looks gorgeous, although Edwood had stated on one of the first pages that it's a real nuisance to work with. It's also much more expensive. Oh well
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #1,488 of 16,305
Since Rat shack had such a nice deal on KSC75s I got an extra one to mod. Just finished this one up. Features 24ga. silver plated copper in teflon in a litz braid, a Switchcraft gold plated mini and Cardas solder. Covered with two layers of flex.

KSC75Recable.jpg

May 4, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #1,489 of 16,305
Made couple of these today. Cable is standard coax and plugs are Neutrik's.

After the first pic I added some heatshrink over the inner part. You can see it coming beneath the plug in the second picture.
Haven't plugged it in yet so no idea about how it sounds. Upcoming: MH w/ TREAD and Crossfeed in a custom made wooden enclosure (if I don't screw it up, that is
tongue.gif
)

Inside pic
Outside pic

May 4, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #1,490 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsappis
Made couple of these today. Cable is standard coax and plugs are Neutrik's.

After the first pic I added some heatshrink over the inner part. You can see it coming beneath the plug in the second picture.
Haven't plugged it in yet so no idea about how it sounds. Upcoming: MH w/ TREAD and Crossfeed in a custom made wooden enclosure (if I don't screw it up, that is
tongue.gif
)

Inside pic
Outside pic

I don't know if it's possible to change now, but it looks like in your first picture that you didn't heat up pad enough and the solder didn't flow well. I would try reheating it so that the solder flows around the connection.

May 5, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #1,491 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
I don't know if it's possible to change now, but it looks like in your first picture that you didn't heat up pad enough and the solder didn't flow well. I would try reheating it so that the solder flows around the connection.

Perhaps you're right but the picture isn't sharp enough to make further conclusions. I tried to solder it properly and I think the picture makes it look worse than it really is. After all, this was my fifth pair of cables. But I agree, it looks awful in the pic
tongue.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #1,493 of 16,305
Quote:

I am just starting my first cable mod, mainly because I'm modding a piece of audio equipment that I want to have nice cables on.
I've decided to use 9mm Lok's for the phono plugs as I think they look quite pro. And an 8.5mm audio grade coaxial cable. Now I just need some braiding to finish it off. Can anyone tell my what kind of braid this is, as I'm finding it hard, especially on UK sites to find such nice looking braid:
IC3.jpg

The type would be good, a product name better, but if any of you can point me in the direction of an online retailer who sells that stuff that would be great!!!

Niietzshe

I love those Lok's... I got some LOK Rhodium's coming my way also

May 8, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #1,495 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Shielded Mini cable
Canare F12 x 2
Mogami 2534 mic wire
Nylon covering
Heatshrink

Unfortunately I don't have anything that needs a mini cable anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice, how's the Mogami treating you? I might pick some up just to experiment with.

Here's my offering...

10' of blue Canare GS-6
2 Neutrik 1/4th Mono plugs

blue%20guitar%20cable%2010%20feet.JPG

May 10, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #1,497 of 16,305
The Koss Monsters have just got a makeover in 22AWG 99.999% Pure Silver, some colour on the HD414 pads, and because of my recent experience with Tangent's intersting but horribly tiny to solder PINT a Vishay Dale 75Ohm SMC resistor.

Sound wise, they went from nice, warm and bassy to Incredible! Very detailed, the highs ring, the bass packs a serious punch, for lack of a better word, they're just perfect. I feel proud to have them hanging beside my MS-2s.

For anybody with KSC75 I would definitly suggest trying Silver on them, they sound incredible with it, and I got mine very cheap here http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai...d=4&group_id=3

May 12, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #1,500 of 16,305
Quote:

IC3.jpg

Niietzshe

From what I gather, some people have achieved a comparable look using shoelaces. Obviously you would have length limitations with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back