DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #15,346 of 16,305
HD6xx cable with Van Damme Mini starquad

IMG_20180129_094541-01.jpeg IMG_20180129_084921-01.jpeg

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #15,348 of 16,305
So when I first saw this blue coated litz on AliExpress I knew that I wanted to build a cable for my UE900 with it. The colour seemed just perfect and the fact that it is litz made me a little more optimistic concerning the microphonics of the cable (has been an issue with many of my IEM cables without sleeved cables). And as it turns out, it sounds good and has very good/low microphonics for an unsleeved, braided cable. I decided to take a Furutech rhodium plated connector because it was the only connector with a cable clamp that I had lying around, all the others are using screws...

Parts/Materials used:
- 3.5mm TRS: Furutech FT-735 ®
- MMCX + Splitter: Papri Audio / "Acrolink"
- Wiring: 0.8mm OD, 20 Core Blue litz wire

Edit: I might replace those MMCX, the left one sometimes does not get proper contact when moving around. Luckily I have some PlusSound MMCX lying around.

img_1511mxulp.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #15,349 of 16,305
So when I first saw this blue coated litz on AliExpress I knew that I wanted to build a cable for my UE900 with it. The colour seemed just perfect and the fact that it is litz made me a little more optimistic concerning the microphonics of the cable (has been an issue with many of my IEM cables without sleeved cables). And as it turns out, it sounds good and has very good/low microphonics for an unsleeved, braided cable. I decided to take a Furutech rhodium plated connector because it was the only connector with a cable clamp that I had lying around, all the others are using screws...

Parts/Materials used:
- 3.5mm TRS: Furutech FT-735 ®
- MMCX + Splitter: Papri Audio / "Acrolink"
- Wiring: 0.8mm OD, 20 Core Blue litz wire
That's cool that you've posted links to the parts! I wish everyone did it. It seems like searching for right parts is the hardest thing out of the whole project

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #15,350 of 16,305
Made another Black and Grey cable, this time balanced -

TrIwPJY.jpg

Q5srUjg.jpg

BhEeTnX.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #15,351 of 16,305
Materials:
  • 22AWG, 19 strand 4 twisted nickel plated cable (from Ebay)
  • Connectors from Digikey (L/R: 889-1847-ND, Stereo: 889-1849-ND)
  • Red heat-shrink indicates R from L channels.
I wanted to do something special for my Grados and after seeing this cable on ebay, I thought I'd go for it. This is my first attempt at a custom cable and there were definitely some lessons learned (mostly around checking multiple times that the various sleeves, casings, and heat shrink were on the cable prior to soldering the connector. I like the four wire as it meant I didn't have to split the ground or have a Y connection - plus I can convert to balanced later if I feel like it.

mD5NIH6.jpg

b38fap5.jpg

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15,352 of 16,305
A little adaptor I knocked up

IMG_20180215_192748-01.jpeg

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #15,357 of 16,305
Very nice and clean. How was the quality on the Senn plugs? (Assuming you purchased from Aliexpress or similar)

Also, great job on that braid Allanmarcus!

I found the quality to be pretty good actually. I hate the way you have to hold back the rubber on the more expensive ones. These are much easier to solder and are a nice tight fit in the Sennheisers. I have no problems with the cheap Chinese sennheiser connectors :)

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #15,358 of 16,305
Sooo, my 2,5mm Mono Jacks finally made their way to Germany, so I built a cable for my Nightowls as soon as I got home today. Wanted a shorter cable for mobile use with my laptop and the Dragonfly Red.

Parts used:
- 3,5mm Headphone Jack (nothing special, was the only one where I could fit the huge wires...didn't have any FT-735 left...)
- Furutech FHD-35 Headphone Cable -> absolutely in love with that stuff, I like the sound, I like to work with it, the insulation is really sturdy yet soft and flexible.
- "Zeatop Hendar" 2,5mm Mono Jacks -> perfect for Nightowls! I ordered PlusSound but they won't fit, I wanted to try the Eidolics with the small barrel but I can't get those in the EU. They work perfectly with the Furutech cable, the diameters are almost a perfect fit. Some high quality heatshrink over it and they hold really well, even without a "proper" way to secure the cable on the jack itself. I also want to point out that these Jacks are not perfect, but they work well...so if someone was looking for a cheap way to recable some Nightowls...here you go. The whole cable was less than 20USD in materials.

Edit:
I think the Furutech cable is a really good deal since it's on sale. It's hard to fit into smaller connectors on the source side, but great sound and no issues with microphonics, no braiding required and you get a perfect cable for mobile use. And if the cable already looks used, then it's because it has been since I finished it a few hours ago...

Yes, I know my mousepad is kind of dirty. I also know with some Paracord it would look even better. Won't be my last cable in this configuration, also the sleeving would not have fit into any 3,5mm Jack except for maybe the large Viablue one. If I do a balanced XLR Cable it will be sleeved :wink:

img_152806kz2.jpg

img_1529yykd9.jpg

img_153014jkd.jpg

img_1531iwkoe.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #15,359 of 16,305
I found the quality to be pretty good actually. I hate the way you have to hold back the rubber on the more expensive ones. These are much easier to solder and are a nice tight fit in the Sennheisers. I have no problems with the cheap Chinese sennheiser connectors :)
Good to hear! I like the Furutech ones but they are a bit pricey, and as you said the Cardas ones aren't much fun to work with. Sounds like a good alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back