DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 29, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #407 of 16,305
::must ... resist.... urge to buy MS2 for rewire.....:::

BTW great rewire job!

how do you guys take apart the cans?

I used a screwdrive for mine, but the scratches up the plastic housing, luckily its covered by the pads
cool.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #410 of 16,305
Mar 29, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #411 of 16,305
is it just adhesive backed heat shrink that was cut and pinched together then? If so, how do you keep the seams tight while heatshrinking it?

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #414 of 16,305
I got my corrected markertek order today UPS, the f-12s and I had some calrad females lying around and couldnt help myself. made this one.

itll most likely hit the for sale forums shortly

aproximately 14 and a half feet mini to mini headphone extension

DSC03780.jpg

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #415 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
::must ... resist.... urge to buy MS2 for rewire.....:::

BTW great rewire job!

how do you guys take apart the cans?

I used a screwdrive for mine, but the scratches up the plastic housing, luckily its covered by the pads
cool.gif

Hair dryer. We took a hair dryer and held it close to the cups for about a minute, then twisted them apart. Worked amazingly well, and allowed for fairly easy glue cleanup afterwards.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #416 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomortis
that looks real nice. can you explain how you got your Y joint to look so clean? I'm having some trouble figuring that out.

We shrank the individual leads with narrower pieces of shrink, and then pinched a larger piece of adhesive shrink over top of them. It worked out a lot cleaner than just the pinched larger piece over the two bare leads.

The inside of the cans (as an fyi) have a zip tie with shrink over it as well for strain relief. Don't believe I mentioned that in the first post.

-s

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #417 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by sashae
Hair dryer. We took a hair dryer and held it close to the cups for about a minute, then twisted them apart. Worked amazingly well, and allowed for fairly easy glue cleanup afterwards.

Thanks for the nice comments!

wouldnt the excessive heat damage the paper cones?

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #419 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
wouldnt the excessive heat damage the paper cones?

The heat would probably shrink the plastic diaphragm. I have heard of people fixing loose (rattly bass) headphone drivers with hair dryers by shrinking the driver a bit. I think the sonic signature must change a bit when this happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back