DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #14,761 of 16,305
i am also very interested in this idea.
my new house is coming and i'm intending use these type of high gauge cables for speaker cable.
if you have tried it please let me know.
A lot of banana plugs and spades and whatnot will accept cable all the way up to something like 4awg already, so no real need to concern yourself with a crimp fitting unless 4 is somehow still too small for you. I know the ones I have said they'd accept up to 5mm wire which is just under 4awg.

Why not grab something like Canare's 4S11, and just combine conductors? 4 11awg wires would combine down to ~5awg. Should be able to find a plug or spade that will accept that without having to buy a crimper and chop up the rings to make it work like a spade.

That said, is anyone running even 18awg on their headphones? Unless you have a very large room, or some very inefficient speakers, I'd imagine the cable isn't going to see enough power beyond some point (not sure where that is, but I'm almost positive you'll never justify a 4/0 cable regardless of your configuration) for the added size to make a difference, outside of maybe a psychological one.

Not saying don't try it, but you can get some fairly large wire already without modifying anything if you're not after completely crazy sizes.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #14,762 of 16,305

These are my first ever DIY cables. The first one is a mini-mini cable and the second is a mini-rca. The only problems I had with this first batch is that the barrels on the mini connectors were too narrow for the wire to fit through so I just had to heatshrink it and leave it. Give me some feedback, what did you guys think? I'm really excited to make more once my new connectors arrive and the barrels fit!

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #14,765 of 16,305
Why are you guys looking at ridiculously thick car battery cable? When the cable weighs more than the headphone you're doing it wrong.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #14,768 of 16,305
Here's some eye candy for you guys

37 Strand Copper with 2-pin and Balanced 2.5mm

40 Strand Silver-Plated Copper with 2-pin and Viablue 3.5mm

105 Strand Copper with 2-pin and VIablue 3.5mm

If you're interested in the wires, check out my post in the questions and comment thread. I posted the link to the Taobao seller there. Very good price and very high quality cables with good variety in the store too. The only qualm is that the PE sheath melts rather easily. Other than that, extremely happy with the flexibility and aesthetics of their wires.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #14,769 of 16,305

My first attempt at a custom cable. I have JH Audio IEMs and my original cable was starting to go, so I decided to try this route.

Biggest problem for me is doing the solder joints on the 2 pin connectors. I had a set from PlusSound and they melted when trying to solder. I then used a set of Eidolic 2pin and could not get the wire to go into the hole on the 2 pin connector. Not sure if that is what is meant to be done. I finally got them all together.

Other issue is getting the Paracord to the very end underneath the barrel and staying.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #14,770 of 16,305
My first full recable with an earbud. Yuin PK2 balanced earbuds using Mogami 2893 cable.  That cable was a PITA to get to the four wires.  Next project is balancing my Grado and making an SE adapter cable.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #14,771 of 16,305
Hi all, been a closet diy'er for sonetime but have been honing my cradt and wanted to see your thoughts on my newest soldering and cable job? Just for info connectors are ranko 2.5trrs to ue 2pin using 5% silver solder
[/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back