DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #14,731 of 16,305
I see you are using a 4 conductor 1/8 jack.  I am looking for an in line mic that I can use to control volume, and answering my Samsung S4.  Did you put a control in, and if you did, where did you get it?  I have played on my own braid a few months ago but couldn't handle the MMCX connectors. Please let me know if you did, where they can be acquired.
Thanks a lot.

Oh no. I used a 3 pole Viablue there's no 4 pole there. The lighting in the picture may make it look like 4.

Anyways, i haven't seen any mic control. 4 pole plugs possibly at Sim Lim Tower, Singapore. I think the easiest way to get a mic control unit will be to salvage one from another earphone

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #14,732 of 16,305
I know about that,but with shipping it will end in 20 euros or so...
It's so hard to find something you need here in italy >.>
FiiO L8 3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Interconnect Audio Cable
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FiiO-L8-3-5mm-to-3-5mm-Stereo-Interconnect-Audio-Cable/1636445622.html
(from AliExpress Android)

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #14,733 of 16,305

A bunch of the coaxial Interconnects i made for a couple of fellow headfiers. They have turned out really nice with that type of sleeving.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #14,734 of 16,305

A bunch of the coaxial Interconnects i made for a couple of fellow headfiers. They have turned out really nice with that type of sleeving.

Both look good, especially the Black and Red!

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #14,735 of 16,305
I just finish a simple cable for my Ether-c. My first headphone cable from scratch, so I'm pretty happy. I have the DUM cable, but I'm not sure I can hear any difference. I might once my corda classic/DACcord arrive. Who knows.

Cable is Mogami W2799, stripped to the core, then inserted into soft nylon techflex. Connector is a "High Quality 3.5mm Stereo Male Repair Headphone Jack Plug Audio Solder Adapter" from eBay, and allow for a screw on 1/4 adapter. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #14,736 of 16,305
I'm new to this and I'm looking for some cable recommendations. I'm looking for something that can be stripped and then sleeve every single individual cable. Would I notice a difference between the Mogami W2893, Redco TGS-QD or the Canare L-4E6S, considering they would be stripped of all shielding? The Mogami seems very expensive (almost twice the Redco) and I was thinking of getting around 30ft to get enough room to screw up a few times and still have enough to build to medium lenght aux cables.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #14,737 of 16,305
I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow, but I twisted a pair of 50 foot cables today. Ugh. A simple two-wire twist, no braiding of any sort, but getting into those lengths is a major pain in the tuckus. You spend more time unwinding than you do actually winding.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #14,738 of 16,305
I'm new to this and I'm looking for some cable recommendations. I'm looking for something that can be stripped and then sleeve every single individual cable. Would I notice a difference between the Mogami W2893, Redco TGS-QD or the Canare L-4E6S, considering they would be stripped of all shielding? The Mogami seems very expensive (almost twice the Redco) and I was thinking of getting around 30ft to get enough room to screw up a few times and still have enough to build to medium lenght aux cables.

The redco is cheap and works well it's very stiff however and makes for a stiff cable
The canare is also good but it's thicker (24 awg as apposed to 26awg) and still a bit stiff
Best bang for buck is still good ole Mogami that's why it's so popular thin and strong yet flexible

That being said I still recomend buying a few feet of each to see what best fit your needs

Good luck

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #14,739 of 16,305
Made my second coax cable for FiiO so I can have one for Mojo and another one for micro iDSD.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #14,740 of 16,305

The redco is cheap and works well it's very stiff however and makes for a stiff cable
The canare is also good but it's thicker (24 awg as apposed to 26awg) and still a bit stiff
Best bang for buck is still good ole Mogami that's why it's so popular thin and strong yet flexible

That being said I still recomend buying a few feet of each to see what best fit your needs

Good luck

This.

You can also get Mogami 2799 for slightly less than the 2893. It's the same cable sans some of the inner insulation (that you're just going to strip off and throw away anyway).

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #14,742 of 16,305
Here is a relatively short, straight cable I made for my AKG 271 mk 2's. Made from Mogami W2893, Amphenol extended collar/AU tip, and Switchcraft Mini-XLR. The Mini-XLR was modified. I cut the flexible boot off and bored out the back of the connector to fit the Mogami W2893. Very happy with it so far.

Couldn't post image directly, so here's an imgur album.
http://imgur.com/a/JV8yI

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #14,743 of 16,305
Here is a relatively short, straight cable I made for my AKG 271 mk 2's. Made from Mogami W2893, Amphenol extended collar/AU tip, and Switchcraft Mini-XLR. The Mini-XLR was modified. I cut the flexible boot off and bored out the back of the connector to fit the Mogami W2893. Very happy with it so far.

Couldn't post image directly, so here's an imgur album.
http://imgur.com/a/JV8yI

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #14,744 of 16,305
Moved my Emotiva Fusion Flex speaker amp off the desk and out of sight (but not out of range of the remote :wink:, so I needed a longer speaker tap cable.  I scrounged up some old speaker wire (16- or 18-gauge, I reckon), and was happy to see four strands fit through the boot of the Neutrik plug.  The plug is so roomy inside that soldering was no problem.  After testing it, I realized the part stretched to the rear of the desk needed to be much neater.  Fortunately I had a enough TechFlex left over to finish the job.

I used some fancy 3M "velcro" to secure it to the base of my DIY Schiit stand:

Here it is in full context. Basically hidden.

Here's my first speaker tap, made using Mogami Neglex.  Very few, thin copper strands made the connection inside the banana plugs a bit too tenuous for my liking, thus the switch to speaker wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back