DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 1, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #14,611 of 16,305
Made a Neutrik 4-pin female XLR to Double Helix 6.3mm adapter with Beldun 1308 4-conductor OFHC cable cause I forgot that I didn`t have a balanced amp yet, oops :xf_eek:

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #14,612 of 16,305
My first attempt at DIY cable...
Not really a DIY... maybe a mod. because i'm really bad at braiding cable, i "rebranded" a Fiio one with some paracord and stuff... not so epic, but i'm quite happy with the overall result. ^_^ 

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #14,616 of 16,305
  Well... sorry for the double post ^^

but, it was a prolific weekend. Today, I made two little LOD, one dedicated for my main rig, and one for use with other amp.

Your ultra short 3.5 angled IC has longer life than JDS's and will never fail
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #14,620 of 16,305
I dont think this has been done before but i wonder how sound quality would sound if we made speaker cables out of car battery cable 8- 4/0 gauge the crimping tools are only 30$ on amazon and the lugs are pure copper tinned or bare and you can also use welding cable with the same gauge as long as either cable is pure copper the way you would terminate the lugs is you would get an 5/16" or 1/4" copper lug and either unscrew the terminal all the way and then put the cap back on or cut into the top of the lug so you can slide the connector in underneath the binding post i have never seen this done before and a according to audioholics resistance is the most important factor to eliminate when building an audiophile speaker cable here are some pictures of the cables and lugs

i found these off google images

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #14,621 of 16,305
New cable for the Audeze LCD2's. 2.4 meters long for the main cable, roughly 30cm long for the adapter cable. 

8 strands in a Kumihimo braid, 4 strands to each cup. Terminated with a 4 Pin XLR for balanced output. There's a small adapter cable which is 4 Pin XLR to 1/4" TRS there too (also 8 strands, salvaged from a previous project). Note to anyone planning on doing a Kumihimo braid, you lose about 60cm of length per meter of braid, if you want a 2 meter cable you're better off going for around 3-3.2 meters per strand. 

99.99% OFC Copper, unsure what the shielding is. But this cable was a test until I get some good silver plated teflon coated cable in.
Generic 1/4" TRS plug for the adapter cable, generic Mini 4-pin XLRs for the connectors on the cans. I found some Amphenol 4 Pin XLR connectors at my local electronics store, so I decided to use them.

The braiding is not the best, but it turned out much better than the first attempt.

Pic:

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #14,622 of 16,305
  New cable for the Audeze LCD2's. 2.4 meters long for the main cable, roughly 30cm long for the adapter cable. 

8 strands in a Kumihimo braid, 4 strands to each cup. Terminated with a 4 Pin XLR for balanced output. There's a small adapter cable which is 4 Pin XLR to 1/4" TRS there too (also 8 strands, salvaged from a previous project). Note to anyone planning on doing a Kumihimo braid, you lose about 60cm of length per meter of braid, if you want a 2 meter cable you're better off going for around 3-3.2 meters per strand. 

99.99% OFC Copper, unsure what the shielding is. But this cable was a test until I get some good silver plated teflon coated cable in.
Generic 1/4" TRS plug for the adapter cable, generic Mini 4-pin XLRs for the connectors on the cans. I found some Amphenol 4 Pin XLR connectors at my local electronics store, so I decided to use them.

The braiding is not the best, but it turned out much better than the first attempt.

(currently no permissions to post images) http://i.imgur.com/kYYIw7G.jpg

Wow very nice braid I wouldn't know how to do it haha. Near the connectors it is losing the braid though, maybe you could rebraid it, use a metal clip to keep the braid then resolder. Personally, that would bother me a little bit knowing that everything is perfect but the end is missing a finishing touch 

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #14,623 of 16,305

Wow very nice braid I wouldn't know how to do it haha. Near the connectors it is losing the braid though, maybe you could rebraid it, use a metal clip to keep the braid then resolder. Personally, that would bother me a little bit knowing that everything is perfect but the end is missing a finishing touch 

Thanks!

With a Kumihimo disk it makes life so so much easier. I screwed up the end points a bit, left a bit too much unbraided so I could get in there to solder, I'll go back and fix it up eventually though. The braid for the 4 strands has also been screwed up a bit, but I think I know where I went wrong.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #14,624 of 16,305

Thanks!

With a Kumihimo disk it makes life so so much easier. I screwed up the end points a bit, left a bit too much unbraided so I could get in there to solder, I'll go back and fix it up eventually though. The braid for the 4 strands has also been screwed up a bit, but I think I know where I went wrong.

I think the best thing to do since it is a 4 strand round braid is to first fix the braiding, then twist the + wires and tin them, do the same to the - wires then solder onto the connectors 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back