DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #14,416 of 16,305
Thank you.  I had a lot of fun redoing these HP's.  They are definitely more attractive now than when they were all black and grey.  I'm going to do my DT880's next.  Waiting on more connectors to come in first though.  I wanted to test these MCX connectors out before I buy a bunch of them.

Let us know how they hold up. Great work.

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #14,420 of 16,305
Cute cats :)

where did you get the Litz wires from, Mikes Electronics ?

Got this litz wire of EBay seller elecmemts13

It's evidently used for making ham radio loop coils.

Here's what the braid looks like thus far. I mentioned earlier the silk insulation was separating. You can see the copper showing through the braid. The wire is enamel coates so at least there is some protection from shorting but I'll probably put this in the "Did not work" bucket.

The overall width of 8 wires in this braid is a hair shy of the width of a nickel and the silk seems to be pretty supple. It's definitly not stiff and is easily bendable.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #14,422 of 16,305
Got this litz wire of EBay seller elecmemts13

It's evidently used for making ham radio loop coils.

Here's what the braid looks like thus far. I mentioned earlier the silk insulation was separating. You can see the copper showing through the braid. The wire is enamel coates so at least there is some protection from shorting but I'll probably put this in the "Did not work" bucket.

The overall width of 8 wires in this braid is a hair shy of the width of a nickel and the silk seems to be pretty supple. It's definitly not stiff and is easily bendable.

nice braid
too bad the silk didn't work
just ordered some of the mike's electronics stuff
to play with.. i'll post my results
i ordered a few different sizes to try
i bought a total of 60 ft for about 30 bucks or about 50 cents a foot
a quick search came up with 2 on-line headphone cable retailers
charging about 10 bucks a foot and around 300 bucks for a finished cable
that doesn't bother me as much as the claims that reducing the skin-effect
as litz wire does results in improved soundstage and bass response 

buyer beware

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #14,424 of 16,305
Just a mini XLR, right?

No.

I'm going to be making my T90 have dual entry with 4 pin mini XLRs and the left one will have the ability to connect to both left and right drivers. This adapter will be used to make them compatible with my V-Moda Boom Pro mic cable.

wink.gif

Did you make that?  Would you mind PM'ing me the parts you used?  I have one that someone made for me, but I'd love to know how to make my own.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #14,426 of 16,305
My first cables :D I'm very pleased with the result. The photos are a bit flashy, but in person they look even better.  
I'll make one more pair of RCAs  and then i will recable my HD600 and beyerdynamic DT990 pros.  Guys, thanks for all the help. Without you i wouldn't be able to make these cables :)

(I bought the RCA connectors and the sleeving from e-bay and the cable is Mogami 2549.)

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #14,427 of 16,305
Just got one of these! =D

Best purchase I've ever made!

Am I right in thinking that automatic wire strippers don't go beyond 26awg sized wires? I've never owned a pair but by current set is pretty chewed up.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #14,428 of 16,305
My first cables :D I'm very pleased with the result. The photos are a bit flashy, but in person they look even better.  

I'll make one more pair of RCAs  and then i will recable my HD600 and beyerdynamic DT990 pros.  Guys, thanks for all the help. Without you i wouldn't be able to make these cables :)

(I bought the RCA connectors and the sleeving from e-bay and the cable is Mogami 2549.)

Those RCA plugs look bad ass! What kind of plugs are those? I can't get a good read of the text on them.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #14,429 of 16,305
Those RCA plugs look bad ass! What kind of plugs are those? I can't get a good read of the text on them.

I got them from here. It cost me about 9 euros for 2 pairs (4 pieces) and indeed they look great! 
I haven't got any other DIY connectors to compare them to, but i really like them. 

So, i decided to take a picture with my camera instead of my phone, so here's another photo. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #14,430 of 16,305
  I got them from here. It cost me about 9 euros for 2 pairs (4 pieces) and indeed they look great! 
I haven't got any other DIY connectors to compare them to, but i really like them. 

So, i decided to take a picture with my camera instead of my phone, so here's another photo. 

Good looking cable.  I like how the RCA's say WBT Germany but are coming from China.  Here's a set of 4 for a little more money:  http://www.needledoctor.com/WBT-0144-Midline-RCA-Connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back