DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #13,561 of 16,305

My latest Sony mH1 re-cables:

Luis, do you find straight Neutrik hard to go in your ClipZip ?
I read somewhere else a Neutrik bust a 3.5" port almost like they are (or a batch was over-sized)
I A\B'd that Neutrik style in your photo with a Fiio plug and a Oyaide plug and the Neutrik was really stiff into my Clipzip....

I've never had any problems with mine, and I've done a few earphone with them...

May 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #13,563 of 16,305
There are defects with some of the 3.5 neutrik connectors, if you look closely the tip is bent.... Causing a tight fit.

I've never seen that and i buy bulk quantities of them. Where did you order that one? I'm sure things happen, but i've never seen it once. In fact i just ordered about 12 of them and they're all perfect...

May 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #13,564 of 16,305
I've never seen that and i buy bulk quantities of them. Where did you order that one? I'm sure things happen, but i've never seen it once. In fact i just ordered about 12 of them and they're all perfect...

Seen it twice from different licensed vendors.

Would explain the reason for the difficulty inserting the connector.
That's how I discovered it.

May 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #13,565 of 16,305

Seen it twice from different licensed vendors.

Would explain the reason for the difficulty inserting the connector.
That's how I discovered it.

I know, i just asked where. I've bought things from bh photo and had almost 100% defect rate. Order from somewhere else and no problem. I'm sure there are defects like any product, but you're probably in the very small percentage of defects. I use these neutriks all the time and they are very common in pro audio and studios. I would try another store nonetheless.

May 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #13,566 of 16,305
I know, i just asked where. I've bought things from bh photo and had almost 100% defect rate. Order from somewhere else and no problem. I'm sure there are defects like any product, but you're probably in the very small percentage of defects. I use these neutriks all the time and they are very common in pro audio and studios. I would try another store nonetheless.

I'm from Toronto, they were local stores.

One was partsconnexion, extremely reputable.

May 10, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13,567 of 16,305

I'm from Toronto, they were local stores.

One was partsconnexion, extremely reputable.
Reputable or not, they might get bad stock, damaged via their shipper, etc. or you're just unlucky. :p

Try getting some from dalepro audio online. I've never had a single defect. I've probably ordered 30 their in the last few weeks.

May 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #13,568 of 16,305

I've bought countless items from B&H Photo over the years, including connectors, and have received exactly zero defective items from them, ever. So have thousands of other customers. Their reputation is beyond reproach, globally.

So while it's perfectly possible that a bad batch of Neutrik 3.5mm plugs were shipped, I hardly think the statement "I've bought things from B&H photo and had almost 100% defect rate" is even remotely accurate. Sorry, that's literally impossible given the QC practices of both the high-end brands they carry and their own exacting standards as a seller.

Companies like B&H lose money when they have to exchange defective items or refund people's money, especially on some small cheap connector where there isn't a lot of profit margin in the first place, by the time they pay for the shipping to replace the items, they lost money.

It is clearly neither in B&H's best interest nor a good business model to ship out a bunch of defective product, the statement above would suggest B&H routinely does this and is to be avoided as a seller unless you want to receive defective product. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

May 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #13,569 of 16,305

I've bought countless items from B&H Photo over the years, including connectors, and have received exactly zero defective items from them, ever. So have thousands of other customers. Their reputation is beyond reproach, globally.

So while it's perfectly possible that bad batch of Neutrik 3.5mm plugs are being shipped, I hardly think the statement "I've bought things from B&H photo and had almost 100% defect rate" is even remotely accurate. Sorry, that's literally impossible given the QC practices of both the high-end brands they carry and their own exacting standards as a seller.

Companies like B&H lose money when they have to exchange defective items or refund people's money, especially on some small cheap connector where there isn't a lot of profit margin in the first place, by the time they pay for the shipping to replace the items, they lost money.

It is clearly neither in B&H's best interest nor a good business model to ship out a bunch of defective product, the statement above would suggest B&H routinely does this and is to be avoided as a seller unless you want to receive defective product. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

You clearly didn't read my post. I have absolutely had 100% defect rate on five of the same items from bh photo in a row. 100% defect rate. Period. That's a fact. Whether you think it's remotely possible or not. Then i switched to another company and had no problems with multiple items of the same kind.

I didn't say i bought connectors from them. You read that into it yourself. My point was that it DID happen to me, but for whatever reason it was only from bhphoto. My wife and i have bought countless dvds from our local best buy as well, and probably 60% have had playback problems. We buy the same disc again and have the same problem. However, i've never had a single defective dvd from anywhere else, ever. And we have hundreds of dvds.

What would caused a perfectly normal looking dvd to be bad over and over from one store? No idea, and i don't care. I don't buy movies from them anymore. But i'm sure others have had issues, was it chance? Maybe, but with the numbers i don't think so. Maybe they have one truck driver that leaves the truck in the hot sun too long or something. Whatever,

My point was try another store. Neutrik is tried and trusted. Like my best buy situation, for whatever reason you're just not having luck.

May 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #13,570 of 16,305
With all due respect, I clearly did read your post and quoted it, in it's entirety, with no editing.

My post referred to this bit:

"I've bought things from bh photo and had almost 100% defect rate."

Thats quite a bit different than your now revised statement about buying the same item 5 times and receiving 5 defectives.

The above contained within your original post is broader than an experience isolated to a single item, and would suggest people beware of B&H, which is absurd if you know who they are and where they stand in the realm of catalog, internet, and retail sales over the years.

I'm sure B&H refunded your money, and contacted the manufacturer indicating they had received a defective batch. If those items were in sealed packaging, B&H would have had no way of knowing they received a bad shipment, thats an issue with a manufacturer, not B&H.

Regardless, my post was not an attack on you, it was a response indicating no one has anything to fear in buying from B&H. Your point about try another store to get around a defective batch in the near term is valid.

I for one have never seen any defective Neutrik connector of any kind, ever, going back to the period 1993-1996 when I worked for a cataloger/retailer that made and shipped custom cable assemblies. The same is true more recently with DIY parts purchases on a hobby level, though that would be in a far lesser quantity and sample size than professional some years ago. Zero defects.

Full disclosure, I do not and have never had any affiliation, employment with, or other consideration from  B&H Photo, nor has any friend, family member, or acquaintance. I am only speaking from about 15+ years of experience with them as a customer, never a bad transaction of any kind.

May 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #13,571 of 16,305
All Hail Neutrik and B&H!

You guys should really debate this in the Cable Q & C thread. :D

May 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #13,573 of 16,305
There must be something deeply offending about bent neutrik connectors. DIY guys watch out, we know how to get under your skin now.
biggrin.gif

In other news, I'm just wating for the connectors and I'll make a balanced cable for my HD650 as well.

Haven't tried it with my DNA Sonett amp yet. Should be fun.

May 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #13,574 of 16,305
Got back from a long business trip and finally had some time to finish up a few cable projects I had in my queue.

Made a couple new interconnects from some 20AWG navships wire, nakamichi connectors, and 550 paracord. One ended up being a bit shorter due to a wire stripping mishap.

Also got around to doing a detachable mod for the K550, I ended up using a female IRIS connector like on RSA amps.

All I've made so far is a short cable for travel use (Roughly 2.5ft). 4x24AWG spc navships wire in a single 550 paracord sleeve.

Artemis cables rhodium 3.5mm male and kobiconn male IRIS connector. It's a little rough, need to get some better heatshrink and dig my heat-gun(stop using lighter) out of the moving boxes and re-do that end. (Also got a little zealous with the glue on the K550s so I need to clean that up as well
tongue_smile.gif

May 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #13,575 of 16,305
  With all due respect, I clearly did read your post and quoted it, in it's entirety, with no editing.

My post referred to this bit:

"I've bought things from bh photo and had almost 100% defect rate."

Thats quite a bit different than your now revised statement about buying the same item 5 times and receiving 5 defectives.

The above contained within your original post is broader than an experience isolated to a single item, and would suggest people beware of B&H, which is absurd if you know who they are and where they stand in the realm of catalog, internet, and retail sales over the years.

I'm sure B&H refunded your money, and contacted the manufacturer indicating they had received a defective batch. If those items were in sealed packaging, B&H would have had no way of knowing they received a bad shipment, thats an issue with a manufacturer, not B&H.

Regardless, my post was not an attack on you, it was a response indicating no one has anything to fear in buying from B&H. Your point about try another store to get around a defective batch in the near term is valid.

I for one have never seen any defective Neutrik connector of any kind, ever, going back to the period 1993-1996 when I worked for a cataloger/retailer that made and shipped custom cable assemblies. The same is true more recently with DIY parts purchases on a hobby level, though that would be in a far lesser quantity and sample size than professional some years ago. Zero defects.

Full disclosure, I do not and have never had any affiliation, employment with, or other consideration from  B&H Photo, nor has any friend, family member, or acquaintance. I am only speaking from about 15+ years of experience with them as a customer, never a bad transaction of any kind.

Nope. I never said avoid bh photo. I simply said I had a 100% defect rate and therefore SOMETHING about bh photo and the stock of that type of item was bad. That's all. BH did refund me and it's an excellent store that I'd gladly buy from in a heartbeat, and I would have said that if it were relevant. And I didn't take your post as an attack, I was just offering the info that I hadn't had problems with neutrik, and it seemed like you were saying that wasn't valid and there clearly were problems because YOU had a problem. I then went on to use the stores I did as an example, that's all. :)

Essentially, every item has defects of some rate, and why some stores have bad stock and others don't is sometimes a mystery. That was all I was trying to say. Try another store and see how it goes, and hopefully you wouldn't have any problems.
I regret posting the pic of the defective neutrik, too much drama on head-fi sometimes.

smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. :wink: haha. But nah, it's supposed to be a place to discuss and share things. Oh well if now and then something blows up in your face :wink: :wink: hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back