DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #13,006 of 16,305

Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably
need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

I just don't get it.  My brain is having an epic fail.  I can connect the cables at one end, twist them any way I can think of, connect them at the other end, and they just come untwisted...  I read somewhere that you need to twist each cable counterclockwise around the other, but I don't see how there's any way to twist them other than "around each other".  :p  Can someone draw pictures or something? haha.  Or are some cables not twistable?

UPDATE:  o.k.  My mind was just BLOWN!!!  I connected the wire with electrical tape (as a test), twisted them snug but not tightly as you said, sealed the other end with tape... AND THEY DON'T UNTWIST!!!  I don't get it.  How is that any different than taping both ends and then spinning the whole thing as if you're wringing out a towel?  Unreal. hahaha

UPDATE #2:  I think I figured it out.  When I taped one end and used my hands I was actually wrapping one cable around the other.  So one of the cables was essentially remaining straight.  Not literally, but I wasn't effectively wrapping that cable in any way, it was the stationary point I wrapped the other one around.  I was thinking in my head it was logically the same thing as wrapping the other one the other way, because when I was done they looked the same.

However, when I did it the last time and taped the first end, I held it between my knees and actually did a "left, right, left, right" wrapping of each cable equally.  So I'm thinking maybe that made a difference?  I'm not sure.  But it worked!

Thanks a million!  Pardon my stupidity.

Please keep the discussion in the Questions and answers thread.
More pics to the gallery!

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #13,007 of 16,305

Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably
need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

I just don't get it.  My brain is having an epic fail.  I can connect the cables at one end, twist them any way I can think of, connect them at the other end, and they just come untwisted...  I read somewhere that you need to twist each cable counterclockwise around the other, but I don't see how there's any way to twist them other than "around each other".  :p  Can someone draw pictures or something? haha.  Or are some cables not twistable?

UPDATE:  o.k.  My mind was just BLOWN!!!  I connected the wire with electrical tape (as a test), twisted them snug but not tightly as you said, sealed the other end with tape... AND THEY DON'T UNTWIST!!!  I don't get it.  How is that any different than taping both ends and then spinning the whole thing as if you're wringing out a towel?  Unreal. hahaha

UPDATE #2:  I think I figured it out.  When I taped one end and used my hands I was actually wrapping one cable around the other.  So one of the cables was essentially remaining straight.  Not literally, but I wasn't effectively wrapping that cable in any way, it was the stationary point I wrapped the other one around.  I was thinking in my head it was logically the same thing as wrapping the other one the other way, because when I was done they looked the same.

However, when I did it the last time and taped the first end, I held it between my knees and actually did a "left, right, left, right" wrapping of each cable equally.  So I'm thinking maybe that made a difference?  I'm not sure.  But it worked!

Thanks a million!  Pardon my stupidity.

Please keep the discussion in the Questions and answers thread.
More pics to the gallery!

Sorry, I posted it here because I thought diy cablers would have a better idea than others.  All set now.  On with the cable photos!  I'll post mine when I'm done my recable. :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #13,008 of 16,305
Quick phone PIC of a 10ft Sennheiser HD6XX cable I made (will post more when taken properly)

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #13,010 of 16,305
Toxic cables copper. 24awg I think. Around £40 in cable + £15 for HD connectors + £4 for the jack. Can't remember the price of y-split

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #13,012 of 16,305
So not to much in total really :) more the time and patience, I really enjoy making them. Will be making a bunch so lots of pics to come. RCA to mini jack, RCA-RCA, LOD + mini-mini.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #13,014 of 16,305
finished this pair. very gorgeous IMHO. looks very good in real life. better then the photos.

cardasred.jpg

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #13,015 of 16,305

Really old post, but those are super sexy.  Where did you get that grey heat shrink?  

RnB180 hasn't been online here in over two years... You might wait a while for that answer... 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #13,016 of 16,305
Dec 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #13,017 of 16,305

finished this pair. very gorgeous IMHO. looks very good in real life. better then the photos.

cardasred.jpg

As others have said, you may wait a while for a response from the OP - but a quick Google search for 'grey heat shrink tubing' gave me lots of results.

Dale

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #13,019 of 16,305

Maybe that's my problem.  The cable I'm using doesn't really seem to have any memory.  It just flubs around.  If I twist it gently or tightly it just flops untwisted... So the only way to keep it twisted is by the wire's memory?  There's no other technique to somehow keep them twisted permanently?  Because even twists from memory of the cable would come untwisted it you spun them with your hand, right?  I don't want that.

It confuses me that if you got both ends tied/soldered/heatshrinked how could it untwist?
ultimate solution: heatshrink the whole wire.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #13,020 of 16,305

Maybe that's my problem.  The cable I'm using doesn't really seem to have any memory.  It just flubs around.  If I twist it gently or tightly it just flops untwisted... So the only way to keep it twisted is by the wire's memory?  There's no other technique to somehow keep them twisted permanently?  Because even twists from memory of the cable would come untwisted it you spun them with your hand, right?  I don't want that.

It confuses me that if you got both ends tied/soldered/heatshrinked how could it untwist?
ultimate solution: heatshrink the whole wire.
It's all good. I think it had to do with equally twisting each cable and not doing it in a way that results almost with one wrapped around the other. Once bound at the ends it definitely stayed twisted. I'll post pics of my mh1 recable once it' s finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back