DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #12,961 of 16,305
Had a few pairs of ksc-75s lying around from the Office depot sale ($5). Decided it was finally time to show them a little love. 

Did the Kramer mod and a re-cable. Plan on replacing the pads and trying some other mods in the near future to try and rid myself of that chirping. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #12,963 of 16,305
  Had a few pairs of ksc-75s lying around from the Office depot sale ($5). Decided it was finally time to show them a little love. 

Did the Kramer mod and a re-cable. Plan on replacing the pads and trying some other mods in the near future to try and rid myself of that chirping. 

Fun sleeving!  I like.

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12,964 of 16,305
Nice that looks good.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #12,966 of 16,305
It is my understanding that most if not all connectors are a brass base with a plating on top.

The nickel is added to all plantings to provides a wear factor that pure silver or gold would not provide.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #12,967 of 16,305
Just some pictures of a cable I recently finished for someone. As well as a cable for myself. The one attached to the LCD3's are mine 
evil_smiley.gif

Bare wire is all silver from top to bottom. 

One with paracord is Silver for + leads and SPC for - leads.  Each cable was individually sleeved in paracord.  

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #12,968 of 16,305
there are pure copper and silver connectors. check out vh audio. I was surprised if everyone is building custom cables with silver wire etc. they would not use these. unless I am missing something. apparently not 1/4 plugs though.

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #12,969 of 16,305
Probably the fact that most people will not pay $150 for a pair of panel mout RCA sockets or $800 for a 1 metre RCA interconnect...
Sorry but a little too much Snake Oil and Unicorn Hair for me. xD

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #12,970 of 16,305
  there are pure copper and silver connectors. check out vh audio. I was surprised if everyone is building custom cables with silver wire etc. they would not use these. unless I am missing something. apparently not 1/4 plugs though.

RCA plugs are not meant to be plugged and unplugged over and over and have the ground sleeve as security when connecting.  This allows them to have pure copper or silver for the signal conductor.  For 1/4" and 3.5" plugs, the most common connectors on this thread and used for headphone cables, there are no pure copper or silver connectors available.  This is primarily due to the fact that pure copper and silver are too soft.  Brass or  bronze with gold or nickel plating are necessary to withstand both the number of plug/unplugs and provide the structural rigidity necessary for these types of plugs.

Also, a good number of DIYers make cables to save on costs, especially in this thread it seems.  Triple digit plugs don't usually come into play.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #12,971 of 16,305
Just thought I'd toss this in here:

source: http://www.bluesea.com/articles/108

Some good info in the link above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back