DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #10,171 of 16,302
Quote:
1) Sleeving depends on what gauge wire you use and how tide a braid you use.  In general, for the sort of standard 24awg wire in polyethylene in a compact 4-wire braid, I believe 5/16" is what I used to use (although it has been a while and someone else should also chime in).
 
2) Lunashops.com.  Takes a while since it is located in Hong Kong, but they carry just about every connector possible and most are well priced and of good quality.

 
Thanks a bunch for your help FraGGIer
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #10,172 of 16,302
I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol
 
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #10,173 of 16,302
Quote:
I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol

 
I may or may not have done that in the past :)  If you put some clear heatshrink of the the whole thing after the Di-Noc, it looks pretty seemless.
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #10,174 of 16,302

 

 
I have also used the Di Noc method before - please excuse the poor quality photo, and the hairy boot lace! I intend to re sleeve with paracord as time and inclination prevail.
 
Above is a 3.5 to 3.5 IC for my Orbitsound T6 Valve amp dock to single Stereo speaker. And a AC to AC power cable to connect the two. Weird set up I suppose, but it sounds good to me!
 
Used:
Valab Carbon / rhodium 3.5mm Jacks.
Toxic Cables OCC silver
AC 5.5 jacks with Di Noc stuck to the plastic body
Jena Labs 22awg copper sleeved in furry bootlace.
 
Quote:
I might have to scrap my carbon connector idea. Figure out how to put 3M Di-Noc on a normal on normal connector... lol

 Quote:
 
I may or may not have done that in the past :)  If you put some clear heatshrink of the the whole thing after the Di-Noc, it looks pretty seemless.

 
I personaly found it looked better without the clear shrink, as it clings too much to the texture of the Di Noc, and makes it look less realistic. But, having said that, the only clear shrink I have is quite thick walled. Also, you can now get the Di Noc Carbon in a gloss finish. I havent used it, but it probaly looks more like the real thing than the matt stuff.
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #10,175 of 16,302
Quote:
I personaly found it looked better without the clear shrink, as it clings too much to the texture of the Di Noc, and makes it look less realistic. But, having said that, the only clear shrink I have is quite thick walled. Also, you can now get the Di Noc Carbon in a gloss finish. I havent used it, but it probaly looks more like the real thing than the matt stuff.

 
Cool.  I will have to get a sample of the glossy carbon fiber.  I love the matte finish for stuff like my laptop, but glossy would be better for connectors.  The normal 3-1 clear heatshrink I use is ok, but has a slight haze to it.  I have some 2-1 vinyl heatshrink that is nearly glass clear (I only use it for finishing as it is not as flexible or durable as normal heatshrink).
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #10,176 of 16,302
Quote:
 
Cool.  I will have to get a sample of the glossy carbon fiber.  I love the matte finish for stuff like my laptop, but glossy would be better for connectors.  The normal 3-1 clear heatshrink I use is ok, but has a slight haze to it.  I have some 2-1 vinyl heatshrink that is nearly glass clear (I only use it for finishing as it is not as flexible or durable as normal heatshrink).

I will have to get some of that Vinyl shrink, the stuff I have has a bit of a haze to it too.
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #10,177 of 16,302
Yes it is East Indian Rosewood!
 
Quote:
 julianbell92 


Re-recabled my Denons, went for a hybrid of Toxic Cables SPC and Copper (for the grounds) in the end. Redoing it gave me the opportunity to correct everything I wasn't quite happy with first time round, like the 4 inch(!) strain relief and the Qables Y-splitter and the Y-split length + difference in distances.
 
 

 
 
Hey sorry for delay but is that east indian rosewood? 

 
Sep 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #10,178 of 16,302
Firstly does anyone know if multi-quote replies work across more than one page? As in, is it possible to pick multiple quotes from different pages of the thread and then reply?
 
In reply:
Thanks, it's quite difficult to give a definitive answer as I couldn't A-B them and also because I added another lot of Dynamat, this time to the outer ring on the rear of the driver whilst recabling but there definitely wasn't a negative impact. I think that being SPC rather than a totally different conductor silver probably helps. I do think that there was an improvement overall, although it's hard to say whether that's the Dynamat or the cable... I think it's probably a combination of the two. Either way I'm much happier because of how much better it looks now!
Quote:
Was there a noticeable improvement after this was done?  I was going to use different conductors as you did but opted not to.

"Usually, mixing dielectrics or conductor materials ends up with the worst of both, not the best. There are sometimes exceptions, but generally, it is not a good idea."
 
Something I read on a different forum.  Nice work btw...

 
Sep 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #10,179 of 16,302
Quote:
Firstly does anyone know if multi-quote replies work across more than one page? As in, is it possible to pick multiple quotes from different pages of the thread and then reply?
 
In reply:
Thanks, it's quite difficult to give a definitive answer as I couldn't A-B them and also because I added another lot of Dynamat, this time to the outer ring on the rear of the driver whilst recabling but there definitely wasn't a negative impact. I think that being SPC rather than a totally different conductor silver probably helps. I do think that there was an improvement overall, although it's hard to say whether that's the Dynamat or the cable... I think it's probably a combination of the two. Either way I'm much happier because of how much better it looks now!

Hi Julian, yes you can multi quote over several pages.
 
And, yes they do look handsome! I especialy like the rosewood cups. Your cables not too bad either ;D
 
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #10,181 of 16,302
Looks nice, did you notice any sonic difference with the Hybrid cable?  You say the copper was the ground?
Quote:
 julianbell92 


Re-recabled my Denons, went for a hybrid of Toxic Cables SPC and Copper (for the grounds) in the end. Redoing it gave me the opportunity to correct everything I wasn't quite happy with first time round, like the 4 inch(!) strain relief and the Qables Y-splitter and the Y-split length + difference in distances.
 
 

 
 
Hey sorry for delay but is that east indian rosewood? 

 
Sep 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #10,182 of 16,302
would like to do pure silver for my ath-es7 cans to tone down the bass... actually i have never tried pure silver, but i have done silver plated copper and i really like the effect that silver has on the highs and upper mids. however, having thick copper as the bulk of the wire leaves the bass at least as heavy as with the original cable, usually a little heavier simply, in my opinion, because of the thicker gauge. 
 
not really sure where to get pure silver stranded or how expensive it is. i think i want 22 gauge.
 
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #10,183 of 16,302
Quote:
would like to do pure silver for my ath-es7 cans to tone down the bass... actually i have never tried pure silver, but i have done silver plated copper and i really like the effect that silver has on the highs and upper mids. however, having thick copper as the bulk of the wire leaves the bass at least as heavy as with the original cable, usually a little heavier simply, in my opinion, because of the thicker gauge. 
 
not really sure where to get pure silver stranded or how expensive it is. i think i want 22 gauge.

 
22 gauge, especially of solid silver might be too thick and stiff.  Stranded is better for flexibility.  Not sure there are any pure stranded silvers out there except for TWAg, and that isn't for sale to DIY'ers.  Toxic cables makes a mostly silver stranded cable with a touch of gold in 24awg and Plussoundaudio has the same wire in 28awg.  Either should be good for a portable cable.
 
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #10,184 of 16,302
Proudly presenting...
 
The Oscar the Grouch USB LOD:
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
4 wire round braid of DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper
Dark green Type I micro paracord sleeving each wire
Nickel plated USB A connector
Silver LOD connector from Qables
Gray and clear heatshrink
 
In keeping with the Sesame Street theme (Big Bird micro USB cable), I made an Oscar the Grouch charging/data cable for the iPad2.  Conveniently, the USB connector and the silver LOD connector from Qables just happened to have some detailing that are reminiscent of a metal trashcan lid and body.  
 
Updated with better pictures.
 
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #10,185 of 16,302
Quote:
 
22 gauge, especially of solid silver might be too thick and stiff.  Stranded is better for flexibility.  Not sure there are any pure stranded silvers out there except for TWAg, and that isn't for sale to DIY'ers.  Toxic cables makes a mostly silver stranded cable with a touch of gold in 24awg and Plussoundaudio has the same wire in 28awg.  Either should be good for a portable cable.

Both my stranded Silver wire are actually 26AWG, not 24. It's the rest of my stranded wire, that are 24.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top