DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7,336 of 16,306

Quote:
Not much you can do about that. I suppose you could try running some bare, solid core wire (say something like 24 or 26 gauge) alongside the silicone insulated wire but I think it would end up looking a bit funky as the individual leads would no longer be nice and round.

se

well i guess ignorance pays off cause i decided there must be a way and sure enough i figured it out.

its painfully easy.  i am actually surprised i even thought to try it.

rather than twisting the wires from the end, wherein they naturally want to untwist themselves because of the tension - if you just wrap one wire around the other, as if you were braiding with just two wires, they not only stay twisted, but they have no inclination to untwist even if you hang them with weight on the end.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7,338 of 16,306

Quote:
well i guess ignorance pays off cause i decided there must be a way and sure enough i figured it out.

its painfully easy.  i am actually surprised i even thought to try it.

rather than twisting the wires from the end, wherein they naturally want to untwist themselves because of the tension - if you just wrap one wire around the other, as if you were braiding with just two wires, they not only stay twisted, but they have no inclination to untwist even if you hang them with weight on the end.

Not sure quite what you mean when you say "rather than twisting the wires from the end..." and when you say "...wrap one wire around the other..." You don't mean that one wire remains straight and the other wire is wrapped around it do you?

se

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #7,339 of 16,306
No, I think what he means is that when you manually cross one cable over the other the cables naturally want to move in opposite directions and thus this force holds them together, as opposed to just twisting them.

Brendan

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7,341 of 16,306

Quote:
No, I think what he means is that when you manually cross one cable over the other the cables naturally want to move in opposite directions and thus this force holds them together, as opposed to just twisting them.

Oh, ok. I was assuming that's how he had approached it from the start and they weren't wanting to remain twisted.

se

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #7,343 of 16,306

Quote:
not bad if i do say so myself. 

looks very nice BR! What cable did you use and is the cable very microphonic, especially from the "Y split" up to the headphones?

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #7,344 of 16,306

Quote:
my 3/32" brown rope came in today.  its actually smaller.. more like just over 1/16" or about 2mm thick.  albeit darker than advertised, it is otherwise perfect.  i used it to sleeve strands of 26awg silicone covered SPC wire.  total diameter of this cable is 5mm or 3/16" 

Quote:
looks very nice BR! What cable did you use and is the cable very microphonic, especially from the "Y split" up to the headphones?

the sleeve is from the rope guy on ebay
the wire i originally got on a lazer pointer forum, but the guy no longer sells it.   i've seen it on ebay, and somewhere else i cant remember.

next time i get wire i'm gonna try to get some cooner probably.

no microphonics whatsoever.. thats part of the reason i love cotton.

man i love this cable, its so much less cumbersome than the stock cable

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #7,346 of 16,306
lcd-2 question - anyone know how the mini xlr terminals are attached to the wood?  i noticed one of mine is sticking out (not flush against the wood)  It clearly came like this and i just didnt notice until i started recabling, but being the stickler I am, I'd love to fix this, but i dont want to mess it up in case its clued in.

also, how do you take off the pads?

thanks

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #7,347 of 16,306
Br777 that cable looks super soft, is there even a wire inside? 
tongue_smile.gif

looks like a very expensive cable, great work.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #7,348 of 16,306

Quote:
Br777 that cable looks super soft, is there even a wire inside? 
tongue_smile.gif

looks like a very expensive cable, great work.

it really is like there are no wires inside..  whats great is that between the super high strand count, and the individually sleeved wire and braids, its also super strong.

man...you dont want to know how little it costs to make this cable.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the compliments ya'll. 

Now to make the matching LOD, and 1/8"  adaptor.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #7,349 of 16,306
coiled snake lod :wink:

went through and stuffed all connectors of the headphone cable with putty epoxy as well as making this little guy..
that epoxy is the best...its like strain relief on steroids.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #7,350 of 16,306

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get a decent 4 Pole connector in the UK please? The ones I have seen are el cheapo rubbish and I like the ones which you guys use.

Something like these would be great, although I think it is a cover over a standard nikel plated jack, can anyone make out the brand or know the name of these?

http://imageshack.us/f/443/img8758m.jpg/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back