DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6,857 of 16,309

Quote:
Many talented people on here.
Here's  cable I made for LCD-2, silver plated copper 22awg in teflon 4 wires for each channel. Sounds better to my ears than stock ADZ-5.

I ordered 100' of Black and White 22GA SPC from eBay to build some cables for my Grados. I'm also very interested in the braid you used here, it looks VERY clean! nice job!

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #6,858 of 16,309

Quote:
One of the best cables I have ever seen! :-D What braid is that?

Thanks,
Not sure of the proper name  but here’s how it gets done:

1. Hold the 4 wires in your hand lets call it 1b 2b 3r 4r
clip_image001.gif

2. Move the outer left wire 1b under two wires to the right between 3r and 4r
clip_image001.gif

3. Move the same wire  over one wire to the left.

You half way into the cycle just imagine doing “mirror image” of this steps

4. Move the outer right wire under two wires to the left

5. Move the same wire over one wire to the right

The wires should be back in the starting position. I took a piece of styrofoam and made 4 razor cuts to place the wires into after 2 cycles so could work on another channel.

All you need to do is decide how and when to interweave wires for stereo channels. HTH
wink.gif

[size=16.0pt]
clip_image001.gif
[/size]

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #6,860 of 16,309
Jul 5, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #6,861 of 16,309

Quote:
I ordered 100' of Black and White 22GA SPC from eBay to build some cables for my Grados. I'm also very interested in the braid you used here, it looks VERY clean! nice job!

Excellent choice of wire man, they're gonna sound super sweet!

I really want to see what 22AWG looks like, I only have 26AWG on mine just because I enjoy the weight savings, but who knows you might make me a convert!

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #6,862 of 16,309
What's the best 3.5mm female cable connector out there, is there anything better than Neutrik/Switchcraft?

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6,863 of 16,309
There isn't a whole lot which will functionally be better, but aesthetically there are loads, Viablue, Oyaide, Furutech, Canare F12, Cardas.

But gold plated is gold plated. Neutrik 3.5mm plugs are probably the easiest, Paillics being the most frustrating to use, Viablue and Oyaide (particularly the Oyaide right angle) are rather difficult but it's all simple stuff compared to any other small electronics projects you could be doing.

Is it worth 30 bucks for a really pretty connector? Probably not. Is it going to matter if you're going to be using your cables for years and you have to look at them everyday? Some people just might :)

One thing I will note is that on some Neutrik straight plugs, I find that it'll lose connection if you twist it to a certain orientation. It's really small so most people don't care, but it's kind of annoying.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #6,864 of 16,309
Hey Now,

I have been  using these from Moon Audio. They seem sturdy enough, not glitzy, just functional:

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #6,865 of 16,309

Quote:
There isn't a whole lot which will functionally be better, but aesthetically there are loads, Viablue, Oyaide, Furutech, Canare F12, Cardas.

But gold plated is gold plated. Neutrik 3.5mm plugs are probably the easiest, Paillics being the most frustrating to use, Viablue and Oyaide (particularly the Oyaide right angle) are rather difficult but it's all simple stuff compared to any other small electronics projects you could be doing.

Is it worth 30 bucks for a really pretty connector? Probably not. Is it going to matter if you're going to be using your cables for years and you have to look at them everyday? Some people just might :)

One thing I will note is that on some Neutrik straight plugs, I find that it'll lose connection if you twist it to a certain orientation. It's really small so most people don't care, but it's kind of annoying.

Thanks for your post. I'm trying to match up to an Oyaide rhodium 3.5mm male, but when I went to their website I didn't find any female connectors. You did catch the female part, right? I don't think Viablue or Furutech make female 3.5 either, but any links would be appreciated if I am wrong about that.

Quote:
Hey Now,

I have been  using these from Moon Audio. They seem sturdy enough, not glitzy, just functional:

Finest kind,
Chris

Thanks Chris, I didn't know about that one. I like Moon Audio.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #6,867 of 16,309

Quote:

Thanks for your post. I'm trying to match up to an Oyaide rhodium 3.5mm male, but when I went to their website I didn't find any female connectors. You did catch the female part, right? I don't think Viablue or Furutech make female 3.5 either, but any links would be appreciated if I am wrong about that.

Thanks Chris, I didn't know about that one. I like Moon Audio.

I actually did not. Sorry about that.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #6,869 of 16,309
Got some problems with teflex multifilament. Diameter looks OK and cable goes nicely, but after 15 cm it is stuck dead. I already tried talc - the same. I am thinking about oil now... Any tips or get braid of bigger diameter?

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #6,870 of 16,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back