DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #4,291 of 16,305
Thanks Good Times

Sorry, I realise that this might be completely off topic but... here's an interesting question:

I want to connect a balanced 1/4 TRS male to balanced XLR
(EMU 0404USB to Balanced XLR inputs of Cambridge Audio 840A amplifier ...wasted on setup i know!)

But I can't quite get my head around it.

For the balanced XLR I googled that:
Pin 1 is the GROUND
Pin 2 is the HOT (+) wire
Pin 3 is the COLD (-) wire

But looking at DIY-Central.com - Go Create something! - PCB Design, Electronics - How to create your own DIY cables, XLR, TRS, studio cables

I see that for the diagram for Balanced TRS -> XLR Balanced (diagram 7)... the TRS has its shield disconnected? Surely it should be more similar to diagram 21 !?!?

ARGH!!! I'll post the pics once I get my head around this... promise!

May 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #4,292 of 16,305
Hi guys, I was thinking about recabling my headphones, but I seem to have thought of a problem that occur: Don't I need 4 cables to recable my headphones? Right positive, Right negative, Left positive, and Left negative? A 3.5mm plug only has 3 places to solder on, Right, Left, and Ground!

blawh.

May 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #4,294 of 16,305
Oh thanks that really cleared it up for me
biggrin.gif

blawh.

May 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #4,296 of 16,305
Looking nice! But you might want to consider redoing the heatshrink near the plug..
It kinda ruins the flexibility now.

May 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #4,297 of 16,305
Wonderful recable. Nice and simple like it should. I too however don't like the heatshrink near the plug. In general heatshrink isn't as nice to look at than the nylon for example. Also it adds weight and size (it's not really a mini plug anymore
tongue.gif
) and inflexibility.
Was there any reason for so much heatshrink?

May 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #4,299 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first recable, Denon 1001 with Mogami and Switchcraft.
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: p1050886.jpg

Great looking cable-work indeed!
normal_smile .gif

Especially the heat shrinks in the Y-split and towards the connector.

May 18, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #4,300 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by xTr3Me.aka.Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi spud,

I just replied to your pm

not far away from me there is a hifi shop that has some nylon sleeve for quite low cost, so this is no problem
wink.gif

Chris,

ordered the cable in but I'm still waiting on you??

May 20, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4,301 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for replies guys. Loads of heatshrink, ohhh well it was my vision of strain relive hehe. Will use less next time.

If you like it it's good
wink.gif

Although, if the purpose was strain relief, what about just covering the cable and tucking it inside the plug? Or did it not fit that way? Just having a little extra stiffness at the opening of the plug is probably a decent strain relief. Although, I think the whole point of strain relief is so that the cable doesn't flex to its extremes at that opening from the weight of the entire cable to reduce wear and tear on that part of the cable (I could be wrong). For that purpose the sleeving around the cable you used seems to me like it should be thick enough without a strain relief. But I always like to err on the side of caution personally.

May 20, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #4,302 of 16,305
Hi guys.
smile.gif
I've never made a cable before so I went and made some RCA cables for my new amp.

cab1i.jpg

First try using some scrap speaker wires, the braiding isn't very tidy.

cab2y.jpg

Second try is a lot tidier. Sorry that it's not really beautiful or anything, just practical!

May 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #4,304 of 16,305
First cables I made. Used locally sourced parts. Blue Denko coax wire - the stuff is really thick and nicely shielded. Covered with black teckflex. The RCA bullets are a WBT design knock off branded Nakamichi which I am sure is also a knockoff. Will use them with my desk system once I build a dac. Having too much fun with CMOYs right now.

DSC_6933.jpg

DSC_6929.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back